Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
ssveter

Default Alternate form and accessability

I have a super I'm working on that in order to access her super powers she transforms (Alternate form) into a metal body. My question is do the powers, abilities, and such enjoy the benefit of accessible only in alternate form or is that already figured in the cost difference calculation for alternate form?
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
SCAR

Default Re: Alternate form and accessability

There should be No accessibility on powers in an Alternate Form.

A human who can change into a Bat (which can fly), doesn't get Flight (Accessibility, only in Bat Form)!
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Bruno

If you're including it in the template cost for the alternate form, you don't get to "double dip" for an Accessability discount. Either/or, not both.

It's generally supposed to be used for transformations like Body of Shadow or Insubstantial - which don't come with all the baggage of Alternate Form. A case might be made for someone who has multiple Alternate Forms and personal powers that he keeps in some (but not all) of those forms, but that's a little unusual.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
ssveter

The concept is that this character must transform to be the "Metal Angel." It is only after the tranformation that she is bullet proof, has wings and looks like she is made of chrome; does this change her racial template? My thoughts are yes and therefore it is the alternate form. So with that I figure the cost difference something like 600 pts. So that makes is 15+600 for once on stays on, totalling 615. Not taking into account any power modifiers.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssveter View Post
The concept is that this character must transform to be the "Metal Angel." It is only after the tranformation that she is bullet proof, has wings and looks like she is made of chrome; does this change her racial template?
Yes, in the Metal Angel form she has a "Metal Angel" racial template - which may be a one-off unique template, but superheroes are like that.

I assume it includes things like the Body of Metal metatrait, Flight (Winged), Appearance, extra DR, etc etc etc.

Bundle everything up that she gets when she's "The Metal Angel" and that's the racial template.

Quote:
My thoughts are yes and therefore it is the alternate form. So with that I figure the cost difference something like 600 pts. So that makes is 15+600 for once on stays on, totalling 615. Not taking into account any power modifiers.
Agreed!

Just a side note, enhancements and limitations (like the power modifier) are applied to the 15 points, not the 600. The basic set is a little vague on this, but it gets clarified in Powers somewhere, and on the FAQ and Errata I think.

Just figured I'd point that out as it surprises people sometimes.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
ssveter

Ok,

So when I build the racial template it doesnt get the power modifier for all of the powers, right?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
ssveter

Yet another question on this character.

She has wings made of metal, I was thinking she may use them sometimes to shield innocent bystanders from gun firing bad guys. How would I set that up as a power?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
Anders

Quote:
Ok,

So when I build the racial template it doesnt get the power modifier for all of the powers, right?
Oh yes. Power modifiers represent very real disadvantages and are handled the same.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Bruno

Quote:
Ok,

A power modifier on the 15 points of Alternate Form will influence when and how you are able to take the alternate form. If your power modifier is psi, you won't be able to change into (or out of) your Alternate Form in an area of Psi Static, and if someone uses Neutralize on your, you'll loose the advantage until it wears off.

A power modifier on the superpowers you get while in Alternate Form will influence when and how you can use those. If you turn into a angel with the ability to shoot mental bolts of Telepathic energy, those should have the Telepathy power modifier - they're blocked by Psi Static, nullified by Neutralize, deranged by antipsi drugs, and whatever.

It can definitely be valid (especially with a superhero) to have both the Alternate Form and your superpowers have a power modifier. Sometimes different power modifiers but usually the same.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
Dingle

I believe the accessibility limitation is covered by the fact that you pay 90% of the points difference between the 2 forms.
Also, alternate form assumes that there's a way to turn you back without your consent.
Dingle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate form, gurps 4e, supers