Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #91
David Johnston2

Default Re: The World of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
A field of tall grass, with huts woven out of living grass hidden in them. I remember, in the dream, running from whatever monsters lived in them... but I don't recall the monsters.
So, super tall grass then. Thank you.

A tropical island where everyone is living in a state of growing paranoia because they've somehow lost all sense of government, law, community, even extended family. It's only a matter of time before they turn on each other.

A group of ten identical "sisters".
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #92
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Ehn? As the originator and most prolific contributor, I didn't find any of the dream elements I reported frightening either. Just potentially useful in an RPG.
Yes, but some have talked about their dreams being nightmares. They are good stories though. Someone said something about an airport full of recently deceased or something like that. I ran a train station in an FF game that was Doom Train taking people to the river Styx. The Bow of Artemis was at the top of Mt. Olympus (which couldn't be reached by airship) and Excalibur as on a new island (Avalon) that had recently surfaced due to in game events.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #93
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
My dreaming self has developed the ability to remember other dreams. I find this troubling. My dreaming mind has always had the idea that during HS I went to a Hi-Q smart kid camp, where in reality I went to Cali.
I remember my recurring dreams in my other dreams pretty regularly, but not the random ones, usually. If it makes you feel any better, the Hi-Q smart kid camp may have inspired one of the brainbugs I described earlier in this thread.

Quote:
I have dreams about this camp and now my dreaming persona has them as history, along with several other events that didn't actually happen. I mean, it's constructing a history. For instance, in that history, I had to have brain surgery to remove a tumor that would have caused me all kinds of problems. Now, when I dream, I have the scars.
I took one class on this in college, but roughly-speaking: Long-term memories are believed (we don't fully understand this) to be formed, to a significant extent, in and by dreams. We "rehearse" the events of real life in our subconscious minds while we sleep, and this has some interaction with the hippocampus (where memories are believed to reside). This is largely believed to be why memories are so unreliable: because we remember thinking about them more-accurately than we remember them, and they can be heavily-influenced by each other, subconscious biases, etc.

Quote:
Does everyone do this and maybe not remember?
Probably.

Quote:
Is this a developing dissociated identity? I'm actually upset here.
Probably not. It's normal. Chill out.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #94
Gold & Appel Inc

Realistic Nightmare #1,247: Cop doesn't like my tone and methodically strangles me with my belt after I'm handcuffed; gets off because I was clearly resisting arrest.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:07 PM   #95
Flyndaran
Untagged

I hate boring dreams. I loathe doing housework only to wake up and not realize until hours later that I only did it in my dreams.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:30 AM   #96
Gold & Appel Inc

Second stage of the rocket fails. We spend the last minutes of our lives helplessly plummeting end-over-end to Earth.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:40 AM   #97
David Johnston2

Two people in telepathic communication, one in an expanse of wheat that goes to the horizon, while the other lives in a Dickensian city.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #98
David Johnston2

The Wall of Night: A wall made out of some kind of black crystal with white luminous flecks in it.

The Sorceress: I actually dreamed part of the plot of a urban fantasy. The illegitimate daughter of a wizard who is drawn into defending a family that will not acknowledge her.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 03-29-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:13 AM   #99
David Johnston2

Skyhold: A warren high up on a tall mountain. Inside lives a clan of intelligent winged mountain lions. With them lives a human woman with a lot of influence over them. She isn't very fond of the nearby human population. So much so that it's a tossup whether when they're attacked she'll convince her friends to help, or join with the attackers.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #100
David Johnston2

Wasteland: A nation where all plant life has died and the surviving population is made refugee.

Tags
dream