Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #111
PumpkinLorica
 
PumpkinLorica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

Gathika will cast watchdog (SL 14) before going to bed, so everybody can sleep; she agrees with Telrith about having the elementals doing watch. She also tells him she has a plan she would like to discuss with him, tomorrow.
PumpkinLorica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:17 PM   #112
ajardoor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious Violence View Post
I roll for survival (sk 15 with the plus one from Bain's roll) to help with setting up camp and keeping watch.
(OOC: You rolled a 10.)

The band of adventurers make themselves comfortable for the night, and sleep well.

DAY 4

The next morning, the party hikes through woodlands, following the streams of water, and arrives at their destination in 2 hours.

The winding path through the woods leads to a box canyon that is easily over 400 feet wide and 100 feet long. The Goblinwater stream that paralleled the path trickles down the centre of the canyon, forming great muddy puddles in places, comes from a source hidden in the cluster of trees at the far end of the ravine. Several other clumps of trees could anything hide.

The walls of the ravine are steep slopes on both sides, needing two hands to climb. Several cave mouths are visible on the walls, some higher than others, with crude paths leading up to them. Other cave mouths may hidden by tree clusters. There are obvious tracks leading to two cave mouths on the bottom level. One more cave mouth on the left side of the canyon is visible on the higher level. Two more on the upper right. Even higher on the left is another cave entrance. Towards the back of the box canyon are four other caves, two on the higher level and two more on the highest.

Welcome to The Caves of Mercy.
__________________
My blog: http://tabletoprpg333.home.blog
ajardoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:04 PM   #113
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

Bain looks at the canyon in amazement, he whistles and then comments:

Well, it’s adventure time my friends.

I have the impression it would be better to enter the caves from the top. If there are creatures inside, especially the intelligent ones such as goblins, their defenses should be stronger at the entrance (including obstacles, traps, locks and foes).

Telrith, I understand you have the power to shape the stone, perhaps we could build a stairway to one of the upper openings. What do you think?
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:48 AM   #114
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

"I think I heard a rumor that the most powerful tribes live at the top, and the weakest at the bottom. We may want to scout around. I'm also not sure that coming in from the top of their choke point is better than coming in from the bottom. I might be able to tunnel in from the side though."


Telrith looks at the ravine, sizing it up.



Just how steep are the walls of the ravine? are we talking a 30% grade? a 60%?



How new is this ravine? how rocky is it? Will the walls of the caves be considered stone or earth?



How many levels are there total? It sounds like 6. Could we get an estimate of how far along the ravine each cave entrance is?



How hard would it be to reach the top of the ravine and circle around it without going in? how close would that bring us to the caves at the back of the ravine?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:42 AM   #115
ajardoor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Just how steep are the walls of the ravine? are we talking a 30% grade? a 60%?

How new is this ravine? how rocky is it? Will the walls of the caves be considered stone or earth?

How many levels are there total? It sounds like 6. Could we get an estimate of how far along the ravine each cave entrance is?

How hard would it be to reach the top of the ravine and circle around it without going in? how close would that bring us to the caves at the back of the ravine?
OOC: The walls of the canyon are at about 40 degree angles. The ravine is very old. Over a century. The caves are mostly earth, stone in some places. Counting the bottom and the top (where no caves are) of the canyon, there are 5 levels. Each cave entrance is at least 20 yards from where the canyon opens up, and at most at the back of the ravine 100 yards from where the canyon opens up. Most caves fall somewhere in between those two distances. Climbing to the top of the canyon would take serious climbing, and time to match. Going down from the top, the highest caves at the back of the canyon are just ~25 yards down.
__________________
My blog: http://tabletoprpg333.home.blog
ajardoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #116
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

Thinking of the size of the party we just defeated, I believe that assailing the weakest tribes first might lead to an important wear of our force.

Also, I surmise the tribes at the higher-level rule over those below them, otherwise there wouldn’t be such a hierarchy as you implied. The order in the cave might be a kratocracy; the guys at the lower levels might be disposable and meaningless for their rules. So taking the rulers down, could help us take over The Caves.

In the worst case, and if they are capable of understanding our language, we could even help an opposing force take control of The Caves in exchange of treasure and the possibility of engaging in trade with the Town. Of course, this requires more insight and credentials than the ones we actually have.

I think we should force them out first, and for this matter we could block the exit of water using your powers, Telrith. The creatures at The Caves will destabilize if we mess with their environment.

They will live the ultimate despair.

We bring down those who try to escape The Caves of Hope, and then we enter from the top and take their heads.
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:06 PM   #117
vicious Violence
 
vicious Violence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: in your heart
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Thinking of the size of the party we just defeated, I believe that assailing the weakest tribes first might lead to an important wear of our force.

Also, I surmise the tribes at the higher-level rule over those below them, otherwise there wouldn’t be such a hierarchy as you implied. The order in the cave might be a kratocracy; the guys at the lower levels might be disposable and meaningless for their rules. So taking the rulers down, could help us take over The Caves.

In the worst case, and if they are capable of understanding our language, we could even help an opposing force take control of The Caves in exchange of treasure and the possibility of engaging in trade with the Town. Of course, this requires more insight and credentials than the ones we actually have.

I think we should force them out first, and for this matter we could block the exit of water using your powers, Telrith. The creatures at The Caves will destabilize if we mess with their environment.

They will live the ultimate despair.

We bring down those who try to escape The Caves of Hope, and then we enter from the top and take their heads.
I agree, the strongest will probably live in the top, though they might be so twisted and damaged they prefer the depths. I was wondering if it might be possible to kill them with smoke and fire. By creating enough smoke, we can drive out the inhabitants, they will be confused and in turmoil and we can pick them off at the entrance/exits.
There must be no survivors, lest we want to face stronger enemies in the future.
vicious Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:39 PM   #118
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious Violence View Post
(...) I was wondering if it might be possible to kill them with smoke and fire(...) There must be no survivors, lest we want to face stronger enemies in the future.
Your remarks sound right, Vic.

Then, we could impede the flow of water and have the smoke enter The Caves by dawn (when the sleep is heavy and the weather makes the openings suck the "poison" in). The smoke might decimate their forces, giving us the chance to raid the place more safely. If someone happens to go outside of the caves to check what is going on, we will have the light of dawn by our side to take them down.
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #119
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

I might be able to block at least some of the entrances to the caves to keep in the smoke. That actually might be a good tactic in and of itself. If they want to leave, they have to dig their way out, and we'll be able to kill them one by one as they do so.



Do we have an idea of what foes are in the caves? some of them might not mind smoke.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:30 AM   #120
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! IC

Given the name "Goblin Waters" I suppose it is the goblinoid kind (orcs, gnomes, goblins, etc. and probably their beast of combat).
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dfrpg, dungeon fantasy, magic, martial arts, riddle of steel, sharpshooter, sierra hotel adventurers, spells, swordlogic

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.