Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-26-2022, 05:51 PM   #921
TGLS

Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
oh, hardened as inside of armor. combination gadgets. that's cool. UT16, yes?
Well, no real need now; the combat helmet counts as sealed and the air tank let's me breathe.

Quote:
Sounds fair. And we'll describe it as waterproof bags with bladders filled via a carefully controlled chemical reaction.
Sure. I guess I can't fire the guns underwater.

Quote:
You can increase your bioplas armor weight: for instance, 15/5 for 8 lbs (its currently half of listed). If you'd prefer the full tac-suit... half of listed DR is fine. That's still really good.
I'll take the tac-suit. Accounted for the weight already, no question of whether it's sealed.

Quote:
The Submarine has a pretty substantial hull: 150 DR. The bulkheads are thinner, DR 15.
Hm. The rifle will be spraying fire through bulkheads, the railgun will be sticking holes in the hull. Will the be able to resist 5-15 HP damage?
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 12:28 AM   #922
the_matrix_walker

Actually, maybe I should have what she's having... The 10 seconds to shapeshift is pretty prohibitive...
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:37 AM   #923
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Sure. I guess I can't fire the guns underwater.
That's an interesting question with two parts. The first is how far the bullet will go (my mythbusters memories seem to say its measured in feet), and the second is if being submerged will damage the weapon... I'm going to say its HT goes down by 1 if you take into water with substantial pressure.

Quote:
Hm. The rifle will be spraying fire through bulkheads, the railgun will be sticking holes in the hull. Will the be able to resist 5-15 HP damage?
Looking at the data you sent me... a single 15 HP shot only has a chance of putting one of the foes down. DR is 5 or less except for a shapeshifter maximizing it at DR 10. So you could rely on spraying 15 HP shots.

Quote:
The demons you are expecting come in the following main varieties:
  • Shapeshifters (up to ST 30, regeneration 10 HP/sec)
  • Warriors (ST 16, regeneration 3 HP/sec, one 2d6 energy attack from fire, lightening, acid, ice, or poison)
  • Aristocrats (ST 35, regeneration 6HP/sec, Terror, mind control via eye contact, occasional extra powers)
  • Gate Callers (St 12, Regeneration 1 HP/sec, 400 yard range 50 yard radius 2d6 energy attacks, create portals from miles away after 10 seconds)
  • Shadow Hound (ST 19, Warp between shadows, see between shadows, insubstantial shadow form, damage resistance 1/2, no regen, can be properly killed)
  • Hunting Spider (ST 25, Binding 10, Illusion died to web, detect web, Paralysis poison at HT-4, no regen, can be properly killed)
You may also see one or two unique demon beasts adapted to the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Actually, maybe I should have what she's having... The 10 seconds to shapeshift is pretty prohibitive...
Ok. Are you bumming a sealed suit off of Halcyone or getting TL8 scuba gear issued to you?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:59 PM   #924
TGLS

Quote:
That's an interesting question with two parts. The first is how far the bullet will go (my mythbusters memories seem to say its measured in feet), and the second is if being submerged will damage the weapon... I'm going to say its HT goes down by 1 if you take into water with substantial pressure.
HT85 goes with distance to target is multiplied by a thousand for range and malf drops 1 or 2 depending on whether it's automatic or not. So the portable railgun fires at most 12 yards.

Quote:
Looking at the data you sent me... a single 15 HP shot only has a chance of putting one of the foes down. DR is 5 or less except for a shapeshifter maximizing it at DR 10. So you could rely on spraying 15 HP shots.
Sorry, I botched that line. I meant to ask if the hull could resist 15 HP hits, given that the portable railgun could easily do that much damage, after accounting for DR and armor divisor 3.

How much cover DR would the bulkheads provide? Could I use surveillance drones to shoot through the bulkheads taking enemies by surprise?
Old 10-28-2022, 07:48 AM   #925
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
HT85 goes with distance to target is multiplied by a thousand for range and malf drops 1 or 2 depending on whether it's automatic or not. So the portable railgun fires at most 12 yards.
Nice reference, thanks!

Quote:
Sorry, I botched that line. I meant to ask if the hull could resist 15 HP hits, given that the portable railgun could easily do that much damage, after accounting for DR and armor divisor 3.
It can resist it yes... but it will kick off a series of cascading failures (IE, progressive leak) that if unchecked will ultimately end in catastrophe.

Quote:
How much cover DR would the bulkheads provide? Could I use surveillance drones to shoot through the bulkheads taking enemies by surprise?
15 DR. You can try shooting through bulkheads, yes.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 10-28-2022, 05:42 PM   #926
TGLS

Well let's stick with that load out. I'll just be careful when firing the Portable Railgun inside the submarine. Could come in handy if someone attacks the sub from the outside.

In terms of hands and weapons, I'll hold the rifles each in a pair of weak arms, and the cutlasses will be held with by my two unsplittable arms and my remaining strong arm. Though I suppose most of that will be stashed away in bags during insertion.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:04 PM   #927
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Ok. Are you bumming a sealed suit off of Halcyone or getting TL8 scuba gear issued to you?
I'll bum one if I can...

Corco's people would have access to some fun stuff I'm sure.

If it's a stuff from your own background thing, maybe I should make a list of possible magical charms and items to replace the tech...
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 09:51 AM   #928
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Well let's stick with that load out. I'll just be careful when firing the Portable Railgun inside the submarine. Could come in handy if someone attacks the sub from the outside.

In terms of hands and weapons, I'll hold the rifles each in a pair of weak arms, and the cutlasses will be held with by my two unsplittable arms and my remaining strong arm. Though I suppose most of that will be stashed away in bags during insertion.
So one riffle and one cutlass are out for the insertion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I'll bum one if I can...

Corco's people would have access to some fun stuff I'm sure.

If it's a stuff from your own background thing, maybe I should make a list of possible magical charms and items to replace the tech...
Yeah, its a "stuff from your own background" thing. Halcyone can lend you one of her suits. You've got access TL8 Monster hunter tech plus the fantasy tech of where the elves fought the dragons.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:38 AM   #929
TGLS

Quote:
So one riffle and one cutlass are out for the insertion
Yeah sure. Let's keep the rail gun out for insertion; the Gauss rifle is more of a peashooter underwater.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:35 AM   #930
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

After loading up with heavy gear for an overt insertion, the two agents reenter the library. They head towards the big mass of other agents. Most are armed to the teeth. Some must be relying on magic and natural gifts.

Corco's Nephew Larentio finds you and leads you to the center of it all. "I will be your contact for this mission" Corco gives you a meaningful look, and then waves his arm and closes his eyes. A glowing portal opens in the center of the room. Through it you see heaving waves. At their tallest, they are two feet above the portal. At their lowest, its a twenty foot drop.

"I'm trusting you two." Corco says. "Keep the emperor alive."

He looks out at the waves, judging them: "five, four, three..."

Give me a swimming or jumping roll.