Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-26-2022, 08:09 AM   #651
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Vassarious slants his iron wall to increase the odds of a deflection and deny them a safe clean shot from a distance (they can't really get more than three yards regardless). He also changes the coloration to paint the emperor holding up his hand... oh wow, he has ART! ... but the roll fails. The image is recognizable as the emperor, but not quite in the imperial style of the temple, and V may have a few mistakes in there.

As the wall is moving, the guards watching notice it: "What is that thing? What controls it?"

A hologram of the emperor appears: "That is my greatest foe! twisted invaders from beyond the five worlds! They seek to twist my mind to be more pliable to their requests!"

A second hologram appears: "No, I have been corrupted by the priests, and these people wish to save me! This is not worth throwing your lives away over. Think of how the emperor has behaved over the last fifty years, as opposed to the stories before that."

An immortal strides to address the holograms: "Neither of you are actually the emperor, but hollow shadows of him. One or both of you are in the possession of our enemies. I will follow the last instructions of the true emperor: I will defeat the intruders from another world. Which I believe this wall to be. Fire Away! And ignore that silly image!"

The debate has bought you another 30 seconds. 220 seconds left.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:15 AM   #652
TGLS

I dunno how well voice will carry over a couple inches of steel, but anyway.

"If I may interject, I'd just like to point out something. There were two of you immortals sent after us. Retifurus was disabled by my partner, as you well know. On the other hand, Kunnifax just disappeared as far as you can tell. You'd be aware if he was dead, and we don't have the manpower to hold him either. We also can't cut his connection with the emperor trivially, or we would have done that with Retifurus too. Do you want to know what happened? He entered a little shrine deep underground, and realized the error of his ways. He's fighting imperial forces as we speak. Doesn't that give you a little pause?"
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:18 AM   #653
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

They don't hear Halcyone over through the steel. Where is Halcyone standing in relation to the wall being attacked?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-27-2022, 08:43 AM   #654
TGLS

Well I'll be wherever I need to be to finish off this whole wall business. The faster I get that done the sooner the situation is resolved. If there's still a choice I'll pick the noisier wall.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:35 PM   #655
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
*I'm figuring a budget of 30 tons for applications that are really big and simple. Walls, whales, trees, and so forth.
What kind of volume do you think Vassarious could achieve if they shifted from Adamamantine into a mass of insulation material like an expanding foam... Could they expand in all directions except into the wall area to push back the resistance and complicate matters forcing them to dig through?

Not sure what else I can do to slow them at this point... unless we passed our gas bombs and explosives through the wall's surface.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:27 AM   #656
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
What kind of volume do you think Vassarious could achieve if they shifted from Adamamantine into a mass of insulation material like an expanding foam... Could they expand in all directions except into the wall area to push back the resistance and complicate matters forcing them to dig through?

well, a cubic foot of foam weighs about 3 lbs. With a 30 ton budget... that's 60,000 lbs, and 20,000 cubic feet, for about 2,000 square yards, and with the main "outer" tunnels with a 10 square yard cross-section...I think you can fill the temple, if you have the time.

The immortals will cut through it easily, but the sheer distance imposed could but you time. Be prepared to take a fair amount of damage though.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:07 AM   #657
the_matrix_walker

Even a narrow damage channel at this point would be enough for them to effectively attack us and I don't think we can resist them long enough to complete the work otherwise...

So Vassarious will Change shape and become the largest mass of light fire-resistant construction foam they can muster expanding out and forcing the temple's other inhabitants out on a wave-like wall, bursting out of all of the temple's doors and windows over the ten seconds it takes to reach their maximum volume.

Vassarious steels their will, knowing that this act may be their last. Seeing no other path to success Vassarious hopes that enough of their volume will be unaffected by the tunneling that they are able to survive what is coming.

Shapeshifting!
3d6
6 + 1 + 2 = 9
Old 04-28-2022, 10:03 AM   #658
TGLS

I glance out of the corner of my eye, noticing the shifting.

"Not even your final form, eh? But construction foam?"

I pause, not expecting an answer.

"This is the only way, isn't it? Hopefully they'll let you use a healing temple after this."
Old 04-29-2022, 05:09 AM   #659
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The steel wall bubbles and expands, shifting into an enourmous amorphous mass of hard, psuedo-durable construction foam.

The guy with the missile launcher fires away blindly as the wall reaches out to him. The foam itself won't be slowed, but the splatter that gets through could harm Halcyone...

Halcyone is a random distance between 1 and 10 yards from the attacked wall.... and the distance is 5. The actual attack roll of the weapon does matter, I suppose... its a solid hit. with 27x7(10), damage, the explosion can get through as well.

The fragmentation damage scores a single possible hit, doing 7 cutting damage. The target is the left arm.

The shooter shot from WAY too close, and they're quite a bit singed. A helmet deflects one chunk of flying metal, and a smaller one cuts through the body armor, dropping him.

Is the wall on the side with a single immortal going to expand as well, or remain metal?

The wall advances at 1 yard per second. It gently pushes most people: anyone truly determined might be able to stand their ground, wave their arms, and make a little bubble for themselves...

Last edited by ericthered; 04-29-2022 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:55 AM   #660
the_matrix_walker

Spoiler:  

.... Ok, I guess there is nothing left for V to do but hopefully survive and see how it turns out.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 04-30-2022 at 12:47 PM.