Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #21
whswhs

Default Re: Help understanding Pixies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
And neither frogs nor spiders nor people nor beetles are technically bugs, but whenever I say this people get upset for some reason.

And I would go with fleas actually for strongest relative to body size. A fleas legs are fairly unique in nature for the amount of energy they can store and release during a jump.
That's not a function of muscular output, but of the legs having an unusual mechanism for storing elastic energy, or so I've read.

As for "bugs," I'm aware of the technical meaning, but Bruno had made it clear that she was using the nontechnical meaning.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #22
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Bit further it looks like; insects seem to have split off from arthropods somewhere a bit over 400MYr back, while the separation between amphibians and amniotes is only a bit over 300MYr. It looks like sharks are a good candidate for a comparable separation.
"Split off from" sounds a little strange, as hexapods seem still to be classed as arthropods. In any case it would be odd to treat "all the traditional arthropods other than insects" as one group, and insects as another group; crustaceans and arachnids and myriapods are about as distant from each other as arachnids are from insects. (In contrast to chordates, where we can trace a sequence of splits giving rise to the traditional classes—amphibians from fish, reptiles from amphibians, mammals from reptiles, and then birds from reptiles, I think—most of the arthropod classes seem to have diverged from some unknown earlier source, more or less contemporaneously. They're more a bush than a tree.)

Old 02-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That's not a function of muscular output, but of the legs having an unusual mechanism for storing elastic energy, or so I've read.
Muscles are also a mechanism for storing and releasing energy. ST doesn't just represent muscle tissue, which is why construction equipment and power armor has a ST score too.

Quote:
As for "bugs," I'm aware of the technical meaning, but Bruno had made it clear that she was using the nontechnical meaning.
Well, yes I was alluding to that. Hence it not mattering that spiders and insects (and I guess big humanoid monsters) are "bugs" in the colloquial sense.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #24
Bruno

Quote:
Muscles are also a mechanism for storing and releasing energy. ST doesn't just represent muscle tissue, which is why construction equipment and power armor has a ST score too.
Fleas (and grasshoppers) don't use muscles to store and release energy for the jumping, they use elastic tissue. Kangaroos use the long ligament in the leg and pendulum action in the tail to store energy for hopping.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #25
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
They're slightly less related than tuna and humans, but probably about as related as hagfish and humans. How's THAT for close relations?
Or given that generation times tend to be shorter in arthropods than chordates, maybe humans and sea urchins. If that. There are still people who think Arthropoda really ought to be split into several phyla some of which may be closer to others (usually velvet worms or tardigrades) than each other.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #26
whswhs

Quote:
For storing and releasing energy, yes, but I said "elastic energy." Muscles work by storing and releasing chemical energy. The difference is kind of analogous to the difference betweeen batteries (which turn chemical energy into electrical energy over time) and capacitors (which release electrical energy in one quick surge).

And if you can release energy quickly to power an amazing jump, but your ability to lift, hit, grapple, and so on isn't at all proportionate, then what you have is not, in GURPS terms, ST but Super Jump.

Last edited by whswhs; 02-08-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #27
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Or given that generation times tend to be shorter in arthropods than chordates, maybe humans and sea urchins. If that. There are still people who think Arthropoda really ought to be split into several phyla some of which may be closer to others (usually velvet worms or tardigrades) than each other.
I found the Manton theory interesting, but in recent months I've been reading that DNA sequencing puts the Hexapoda among the Crustacea, rather the way it puts birds among (living) reptiles. And the old theory that arthropods are close to annelids seems to be less accepted now, in favor of convergent evolution based on segmentation.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #28
AlexanderHowl

Practically every vertebrate animal uses some form of elastic energy storage (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elasti...sms_in_animals)
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Fleas (and grasshoppers) don't use muscles to store and release energy for the jumping, they use elastic tissue. Kangaroos use the long ligament in the leg and pendulum action in the tail to store energy for hopping.
I'm not sure that DF Pixies use ordinary muscles either for their ST...
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #30
Bruno

Quote:
I'm not sure that DF Pixies use ordinary muscles either for their ST...
Since they don't have to "wind up" before every movement, they clearly aren't using grasshopper or flea springs. And they don't have big pendulum tails :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungen fantasy, pixie, racial template