Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-19-2022, 08:03 AM   #761
TGLS

Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Halcyone gets into the building without trouble, and then down into the basement. the statues themselves provide a lot of cover for Halcyone, but the double doors themselves are in full view of the two guards. Stealth alone will not get you access to that door.
I'm confused. I thought the doors were on the path from the market area through the tunnel and into the basement with all statues. Or is it a matter of getting through the doors without being seen?

Could I distract a guard by having a microbot crawl into the ears of one of the guards? Do I need to roll for it?
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:01 AM   #762
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'm confused. I thought the doors were on the path from the market area through the tunnel and into the basement with all statues. Or is it a matter of getting through the doors without being seen?
Oh, you're going in from the other side!

Yeah, you get in. what are you looking for now?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 01:15 PM   #763
TGLS

Quote:
Yeah, you get in. what are you looking for now?
Well I dunno how quiet I can be but I'm pretty sure they'll ring that bell if they hear anything that sounds like breaking ice. So I might as well take advantage of the situation to get the drop on them and tie them up.

Stealth to sneak up behind them, Judo to grab with two arms and one deceptive level (I dunno if it's relevant, it's a surprise attack).

Quote:
[449] 22-07-19 19:59:23 BST
Stealth (+3 from Chameleon)
3d6 <= 16
1 + 5 + 1 = 7 ... success
[450] 22-07-19 20:07:18 BST
Judo
3d6 <= 15
1: 1 + 6 + 2 = 9 ... success
2: 5 + 4 + 4 = 13 ... success
After that, it's a matter of taking them down:
Quote:
[451] 22-07-19 20:08:53 BST
Takedown Quick Contests
-3d6 +21
1: - 5 - 4 - 2 + 21 = 10
2: - 1 - 1 - 1 + 21 = 18
And pinning them:
Quote:
[452] 22-07-19 20:10:57 BST
Pin Contests
-3d6 +21
1: - 2 - 6 - 4 + 21 = 9
2: - 3 - 2 - 1 + 21 = 15
Well I suppose these should be success rolls but I think this will end up wrapping up in a few seconds unless these orcs (?) are freakishly strong (I suppose it doesn't matter if it's a general or specific case).

Then I'll tie them up before I start breaking the ice on those two blocks of ice that may or may not have a statue in them. I only want to bust through enough to check if there's a statue in there.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:01 AM   #764
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Well I dunno how quiet I can be but I'm pretty sure they'll ring that bell if they hear anything that sounds like breaking ice. So I might as well take advantage of the situation to get the drop on them and tie them up.

Stealth to sneak up behind them, Judo to grab with two arms and one deceptive level (I dunno if it's relevant, it's a surprise attack).

After that, it's a matter of taking them down:

And pinning them:

Well I suppose these should be success rolls but I think this will end up wrapping up in a few seconds unless these orcs (?) are freakishly strong (I suppose it doesn't matter if it's a general or specific case).
The orcs are not super strong. They're quickly pinned.

They're also not entirely helpless while pinned. Each orc starts growing a blob of encasing ice around one spot where Halcyone is holding.

That's a binding attack, unknown strength, dodge at +2 to avoid, dodging requires letting go with the effected hand.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 07-20-2022, 10:18 AM   #765
TGLS

Quote:
The orcs are not super strong. They're quickly pinned.

They're also not entirely helpless while pinned. Each orc starts growing a blob of encasing ice around one spot where Halcyone is holding.

That's a binding attack, unknown strength, dodge at +2 to avoid, dodging requires letting go with the effected hand.
Well, this is what I get for not choking them out. I let go with one hand, do I get to grab them again on my turn, so I could just keep moving my hands around until I have them properly tied up?
Old 07-20-2022, 12:36 PM   #766
the_matrix_walker

Vassarious lingers over the book a bit longer, trying to give the robo-bugs a good view of the test to review later.

They are exuberant with the orcs and confident that they will be able to make some money together and then gets off-topic to talk about current events and whatever goings on there are here and with their "Office Politics" or their rumor mill before they bid them farewell to go see what the speech is all about.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:42 AM   #767
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Well, this is what I get for not choking them out. I let go with one hand, do I get to grab them again on my turn, so I could just keep moving my hands around until I have them properly tied up?
You've got to make a dodge roll to let go successfully... and then yes, you get your turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Vassarious lingers over the book a bit longer, trying to give the robo-bugs a good view of the text to review later.
The bugs get an extra long look at the table of contents, and Vassarious flips through the book quickly, pretending to count the pages. With some luck that should get them MOST of the book.

Quote:
They are exuberant with the orcs and confident that they will be able to make some money together and then gets off-topic to talk about current events and whatever goings on there are here and with their "Office Politics" or their rumor mill before they bid them farewell to go see what the speech is all about.
The rumor mill is about new ore sources, an upcoming wedding of one of their members, someone who tracked the raiders part way into the ice-fields, and some sort of upcoming competition with the order of the glacier.

Uglin is dressed in an extravagant suit of metal. Vassarious would hesitate to call it armor: its too thin, and too ornate. Flanges and flares sweep out impressively. The flexible components are cloth rather than leather, either off white or deep black, with some blue threaded embroidery worked in.

His speech is intentionally pompous and grand, playing it up in a manner that seems almost a parody of itself. He never uses "I", always saying "we", and apparently meaning the other architects.

"What is a Knightly Order? What makes them Knightly? Is it not the power they wield? their skill in doing that which others cannot? And the respect and comradirie they have for one another? Look around you. Look at the buildings, the abundance of food, the canals. Is this not power! The Sun-Shamans can shape metal, and the Frost-Workers can chill meat, but we can cause the desert to bloom with food, and the mountain to give metal in quantities not seen since before the age of ice and sun."

"We are organized into an order to share our knowledge, and to support one another as brothers and sisters. The order of the stone: the custodian of unique knowledge and power, set out to make the world bloom again. Yet we are denied a seat on the council."

"The Grand order is built on the uniting of Orc and Lizard. It goes far in the purpose. And yet it fails, because the orcs who stay in the city and work are not selected to be taught their ways. Even within the Grand order, orc and lizard are divided between ice and sun. Is this the full vision? No. We present and order in which both lizard and orc can learn the same art, the same craft, the same mystic means to improve the world! We complete the mission of Tuguk! The Stone Order must be acknowledged, or Tuguk cannot reach its destiny!"

"Now, one might say, but the stone order cannot fight! We are not warriors. How can we be knights? Let me ask how many the order of the glacier have saved from starvation? How many new suits of armor has the order of the hammer won from the mountain. Our ways are more subtle, but the lives spared are no less real. And should we only honor the combat prowess of mystics? Violence is how the stone melders ruled us: shall the honorable warriors of the wastes rule Tuguk by the same principle? Did they not claim to free us? Let them show their honor, by acknowledging our skill and cunning!"

"Now, we have asked simply, and laid out our reasons. But they have rejected our claims. We shall continue to ask. You will continue to ask! you will tell your neighbors, you speak of it in the markets, and the order born in Tuguk WILL! BE! ACCEPTED!"

Old 07-22-2022, 09:44 AM   #768
TGLS

Quote:
You've got to make a dodge roll to let go successfully... and then yes, you get your turn.
Righteo then. Didn't want to dodge and accidentally let them go.
Quote:
[457] 22-07-22 16:41:12 BST
Dodges
3d6 <= 11
1: 2 + 3 + 3 = 8 ... success
2: 4 + 2 + 3 = 9 ... success

[458] 22-07-22 16:41:46 BST
Regrabs (one level of deceptive)
3d6 <= 15
4 + 4 + 1 = 9 ... success

[459] 22-07-22 16:41:51 BST
3d6 <= 15
2 + 1 + 1 = 4 ... success
So, should I throw more rolls at this for the next attempt at freezing for the minute or so it'll take to tie them up or are they going to tire out before that?
Old 07-22-2022, 09:48 AM   #769
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Righteo then. Didn't want to dodge and accidentally let them go.

So, should I throw more rolls at this for the next attempt at freezing for the minute or so it'll take to tie them up or are they going to tire out before that?
Don't you need to repin as well as regrab?

Old 07-22-2022, 09:58 AM   #770
TGLS

Quote:
Don't you need to repin as well as regrab?
If I got 2 hands on each of them, couldn't I hold the pin with one hand while the other hand dodges? (The third pair of hands is doing the tying)