Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-29-2022, 08:13 AM   #661
TGLS

Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Halcyone is a random distance between 1 and 10 yards from the attacked wall.... and the distance is 5. The actual attack roll of the weapon does matter, I suppose... its a solid hit. with 27x7(10), damage, the explosion can get through as well.
I'll try to dodge and drop to reduce damage:
Quote:
[417] 22-04-29 15:03:30 BST - TGLS (thompsonstubbs@gmail.com)

Dodge at +3

3d6 <= 12
4 + 2 + 3 = 9 ... success
OK, so with that armour divisor, my 7/2 DR is useless, but I am 18m away with that dodge and drop, so I only take 10.5, rounded down. Because Halcyone is a beast, that isn't even a major wound so I'm fine.
Quote:
The fragmentation damage scores a single possible hit, doing 7 cutting damage. The target is the left arm.
I think I need to dodge this one separately:
Quote:
[418] 22-04-29 15:05:05 BST
Dodge Fragment
3d6 <= 9
3 + 3 + 2 = 8 ... success
That could have been bad, slow me down. Let's get up and finish this wall.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:54 AM   #662
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'll try to dodge and drop to reduce damage:

OK, so with that armour divisor, my 7/2 DR is useless, but I am 18m away with that dodge and drop, so I only take 10.5, rounded down. Because Halcyone is a beast, that isn't even a major wound so I'm fine.
oh, so that attack is only to get the attack through V. it is not aimed at Halcyone. The explosion shows up on the other side though...

Quote:
I think I need to dodge this one separately:

That could have been bad, slow me down. Let's get up and finish this wall.
Shards of metal fly past Halcyone as she throws herself to the ground, hoping to avoid the shrapnel. As the smoke clears, it appears that she is uninjured!

Quote:
in the first few seconds of shapeshifting when the rocket hits, only a limited amount of durability would be lost, (a 10% shift per second seems most appropriate ).
Correct. I just used the stats for the wall. After the first second, the missiles will loose a lot of their ability to effect Halcyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Spoiler:  
So its a weird case. You're shifting from one large immobile form to a larger immobile form. by RAW, this happens instantly at the end of 10 seconds, but I think we both agree that gives weird results. I don't want to house-rule in a pushing method, and I don't want to give the ability to instantly encase people in yourself, so I figured bubbles made the most sense. I suppose we could just give typical 30 ton ST (ST 76, I think) for the purpose only of expanding into new 30 ton shapes.

Quote:
.... Ok, I guess there is nothing left for V to do but hopefully survive and see how it turns out.

Did V expand on both sides of the hall? you have the main group on the end that just had the missile fired, but there was also the lone immortal on the other side. Does He end up facing steel or facing foam?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:31 AM   #663
TGLS

Quote:
Shards of metal fly past Halcyone as she throws herself to the ground, hoping to avoid the shrapnel. As the smoke clears, it appears that she is uninjured!
I get up, dust off, hold a gun at the ready, and get back to work.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:05 AM   #664
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
So its a weird case. You're shifting from one large immobile form to a larger immobile form. by RAW, this happens instantly at the end of 10 seconds, but I think we both agree that gives weird results. I don't want to house-rule in a pushing method, and I don't want to give the ability to instantly encase people in yourself, so I figured bubbles made the most sense. I suppose we could just give typical 30 ton ST (ST 76, I think) for the purpose only of expanding into new 30 ton shapes.
I agree that there are weird results... I don't think pushing would be a house rule, just the natural extension of the growth rules where you push anything that can be and break anything that can't be pushed based on the max ST (which again is wonky with a wall)

I am mentally comparing to turning into an elephant, and I can't imagine the context where I would say an elephant would have a hole in it because the form was taken while in close proximity to another creature.
Quote:
Did V expand on both sides of the hall? you have the main group on the end that just had the missile fired, but there was also the lone immortal on the other side. Does He end up facing steel or facing foam?
Vassarious changed their whole substance to push everyone out of the building, so both wings of the wall.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:45 AM   #665
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The wall expands into foam, pushing everyone backwards, and hopefully giving Halycone time to finish moving objects.

Quote:
well, a cubic foot of foam weighs about 3 lbs. With a 30 ton budget... that's 60,000 lbs, and 20,000 cubic feet, for about 2,000 square yards, and with the main "outer" tunnels with a 10 square yard cross-section...I think you can fill the temple, if you have the time.

ok, fixing the math errors here... 20,000 cubic feet goes to 750 cubic yards, not 2,000 square yards. V can still fill up 75 yards of hall, which is enough to reach the outside of the temple.

Two techniques to get through are attempted, one on each side. On one side, two immortals slice with swords, trying to clear a path through the foam. Behind them, men quickly scrape and carry away the foam fragments. They start almost instantly. They need to make at least one foot per seven seconds. It initially looks close, but as they make more progress, it becomes apparent that they won't make it in time. Though they will cut a channel at least half-way to the their target.

On the other side, someone has dug up some riot shields and they start firing missiles from the other side.

They have some trouble figuring out the right missiles. Shaped charge missiles make deep holes in the wall, and compress it a little, but don't actually flake that much off of it. High explosive behaves similarly, but without the resulting small hole. They mostly ran and got shaped charges, because they were expecting a metal wall. Someone points out that they need armor piercing explosive charges... but they waste too much time figuring it out. A number of missiles are sent in, but they ultimately make less progress than the immortals.

With a grinding scrape, the last stone slides into place.

Holomaximus appears "He's back. Now we have to explain what's going on..."

Another image of Maximus appears: "Yes, You need to explain yourselves."

Vassarious needs to make a roll to determine consciousness... the dragon took about one HP worth of damage from the immortals and missiles.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 05-03-2022, 11:10 AM   #666
the_matrix_walker

Vassarious fails the Consciousness Check!

3d6
5 + 3 + 6 = 14

I'll use a destiny point to turn that into a success and then Vassarious returns to the angelic warrior form they were using when they arrived at the skerry.

Shapeshift
3d6
4 + 5 + 1 = 10
Old 05-03-2022, 02:51 PM   #667
TGLS

Quote:
Holomaximus appears "He's back. Now we have to explain what's going on..."

Another image of Maximus appears: "Yes, You need to explain yourselves."
"Can we get some help for my friend first? She seems in a bad way on account of all the bombs and swords and such."

I forgot what the conspiracy's name for themselves was.

"OK, let's start at the beginning. 65-70 years ago, the Pontifex at the time started putting his own people in place in the inner temple. 46 years ago, there was some kind of crisis, and then the conspiracy of priests began taking advantage of the fact you weren't quite yourself. They began abusing their authority so much, that the only recourse for those on Verdaze, Lithus and Aquas is open rebellion.

That's when Corco noticed the mess you were in and he sent us over to figure out what exactly was going on. Pang Zhen the prophetess said that there was a crack in your foundation. Turns out it was just a rearranged wall. You're backup copy on Lithus showed me what the correct pattern was, and now we're here.
"
Old 05-04-2022, 08:36 AM   #668
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Vassarious has large burns on one side of her angelic body, what looks like a massive scrape up the other side. As is covered in blood from the scrape. She's conscious though.

When will the destiny point recharge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"Can we get some help for my friend first? She seems in a bad way on account of all the bombs and swords and such."
"She'll live. Talk."

Quote:
"OK, let's start at the beginning. 65-70 years ago, the Pontifex at the time started putting his own people in place in the inner temple. 46 years ago, there was some kind of crisis, and then the conspiracy of priests began taking advantage of the fact you weren't quite yourself. They began abusing their authority so much, that the only recourse for those on Verdaze, Lithus and Aquas is open rebellion.

That's when Corco noticed the mess you were in and he sent us over to figure out what exactly was going on. Pang Zhen the prophetess said that there was a crack in your foundation. Turns out it was just a rearranged wall. You're backup copy on Lithus showed me what the correct pattern was, and now we're here."
"I will detain those Priests, and I will compare your stories. Surrender!"

Quote:
I forgot what the conspiracy's name for themselves was.
Did I give one? I didn't think I did.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:59 AM   #669
TGLS

Quote:
I discard my gun and raise my hands. All my hands.

"If I could make one other request: I had to detain one of your priests, a Cyraelian if I recall. He's still tied up at his house. We constructed a small booth that you can't see inside over there too. You might want to send someone trustworthy to dismantle it. You can the computer I used to monitor the bugs I planted in Fericus's house there too."

Quote:
Did I give one? I didn't think I did.
That sure explains why I can't remember.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:10 AM   #670
the_matrix_walker

Spoiler:  

Quote:

"She'll live. Talk."

"Thank you, Halcyone. I will recover."

"We have come to put right the wrong done to the Emperor and the Empire. We will gladly submit to the true Maximus."