Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Taellosse

Default Blink Other Cast Aggressively?

Okay, so Blink and Blink Other are both Blocking spells, meaning they can be cast instantly. Blink Other, I'm sure, is designed to be cast on an ally to get them out of the way of an attack. But I see no reason that it could not be used on an attacker instead, moving them back 3 hexes and making their attack automatically miss, if, for some reason, the caster cannot or does not wish to Blink themselves instead. I see nothing in the rules saying that the subject of such a spell must be willing, and from what I can see, there's no resistance roll for the subject.

Is this, in fact, an option? And can the subject resist at all?

Additionally, Blink is listed as a Dodge. Does that mean it can be cast as many times in a caster's turn as they can afford the energy spent, just as with a normal dodge (i.e. there is a limit on the number of parries and blocks a character has based on the number of attacks they have in the round, but there is no restriction on dodges)?

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Last edited by Taellosse; 04-03-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Taellosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
LemmingLord

Default Re: Blink Other Cast Aggressively?

I would allow it to be used to blink the attacker. I would allow a resistance as per teleport other. I would only allow one blocking spell per round for most attacks, but if you do the blink on your attacker for his first attack, you should be able to skip out on his other attacks!
Old 04-03-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taellosse

Additionally, Blink is listed as a Dodge. Does that mean it can be cast as many times in a caster's turn as they can afford the energy spent, just as with a normal dodge (i.e. there is a limit on the number of parries and blocks a character has based on the number of attacks they have in the round, but there is no restriction on dodges)?
Blink Other is intended to be used as an active defense to protect someone else. As a Blocking spell, it is not cast as an attack on an enemy [specific exceptions are noted as being cast on the attacker, and should be listed as resistible]... either use Teleport Other, or research a Regular spell variant. Blocking spells can only be cast once per turn.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #4
Taellosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Blink Other is intended to be used as an active defense to protect someone else. As a Blocking spell, it is not cast as an attack on an enemy [specific exceptions are noted as being cast on the attacker, and should be listed as resistible]... either use Teleport Other, or research a Regular spell variant. Blocking spells can only be cast once per turn.
you're absolutely right about the number of castings per turn. I don't know how I missed that while reading that section--I know I've read it before, but somehow my eyes skipped over it.

I'm not entirely sure I agree about whether it can be cast on an attacker, though. I don't feel like moving someone who's attacking you a few hexes, to force their attack to miss, is terribly different than moving yourself. The only way it can really negatively impact them is if you make the person roll Body Sense...which they ought to have to do. Okay, hm, I guess that's a point in your favor. Then if I were to allow it, it would definitely have to be resistable, and that makes it a crappy blocking spell, since it would fail far too frequently, what with the rule of 16 and all.

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin
Old 04-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Then if I were to allow it, it would definitely have to be resistable, and that makes it a crappy blocking spell, since it would fail far too frequently, what with the rule of 16 and all.
Which would be a good reason why you use it as it is intended to be used - to blink your friends out of harms way...
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
cbower

You could always use Reflex plus Teleport Other, and then you could send them 100 yards away instead of just 3.
cbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
Taellosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbower
You could always use Reflex plus Teleport Other, and then you could send them 100 yards away instead of just 3.
Yeah, but that requires setting up in advance, and the whole point here was something that could be cast spur-of-the-moment.

-Jeff Raskin
Old 04-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Okay, so Blink and Blink Other are both Blocking spells, meaning they can be cast instantly. Blink Other, I'm sure, is designed to be cast on an ally to get them out of the way of an attack. But I see no reason that it could not be used on an attacker instead, moving them back 3 hexes and making their attack automatically miss, if, for some reason, the caster cannot or does not wish to Blink themselves instead. I see nothing in the rules saying that the subject of such a spell must be willing, and from what I can see, there's no resistance roll for the subject.

Look at 3rd Edition's Blink Other: You could change the alignment (position) of your subject. Yes that does mean on his head back to you. Body Sense at -6. The current version is a lot better.

No. You can not cast two Blocking spells in a single turn. See magic for details. You can cast a regular (area etc) spell THEN cast a blocking spell. No spells after the first blocking spell however.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
BalanceFx

If my enemy chose to cast blink against me I would slash him down with an all out out extra effort mighty blow.

After all my hex is still safe... so there is no need for me to blink anywhere...

LOL.

On the other hand if an arrow was about to hit me and he blinked me away then he would have my thanks.
BalanceFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:14 AM   #10
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalanceFx
If my enemy chose to cast blink against me I would slash him down with an all out out extra effort mighty blow.

After all my hex is still safe... so there is no need for me to blink anywhere...

LOL.

On the other hand if an arrow was about to hit me and he blinked me away then he would have my thanks.
It's a blocking spell: Casting time is short enough that you don't get to attack him like that without first setting up a wait maneuver.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blink other