Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-13-2021, 07:44 AM   #11
JustAnotherJarhead

Default Re: Armor and high IQ spellcasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
It's reasonable to say it doesn't. If a wizard has a sufficiently high IQ that she can cast the spell without gestures (speaking only?) Then armor doesn't affect their DX.

But... it's yet another thing to keep track of. It will further complicate everyone's munchkinly character optimization spreadsheets, and it's yet another step
away from "game" territory and into "simulation ".

At some point you have to put away the slide rule and pick up the dice.
Tom nailed it.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:05 AM   #12
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Btw, are you talking about the -4DX for iron or steel armor in the "Iron, Silver, and Magic section"?
That penalty is -4 DX for the material itself, which stacks on top of the DX penalty just for wearing armor. (Later, that section talks about making armor out of gold, bronze, etc so as not to interfere with magic, pointing out that such armor still has its normal DX penalty.)

Spells are cast with adjDX. Armor reduces adjDX for all purposes, which would include spell rolls. Hence the assumption that that particular penalty is all about movement restrictions.

There's also a rule (ITL 73) for removing gauntlets / gloves to work on traps, reducing the penalty to -1 DX for that purpose. If you see spellcasting as calling for something more like Dr. Strange-esque finger positioning and movement rather than overall body movement, you may want to adopt this rule for spellcasting as well. Wizards that want to go around without their gloves all the time probably want to confer with their GM to work out what the mentioned saving roll to avoid losing fingers means in their game.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:20 AM   #13
larsdangly

I would not consider letting a spell caster ignore the DX penalty for armor when making a casting roll. If you are rolling vs. DX then you are using DX, and if you are using DX than you suffer from your armor DX penalty. The end.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:45 AM   #14
JustAnotherJarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The cognitive dissonance runs deeper than the OP's leather armor question; we should wonder why a high IQ caster rolls vs. DX at all if they can cast low IQ spells without moving a muscle.

But I agree that the answer is 'because that is how the game works; now stop nagging me for extra munchkin privileges and just roll the stupid dice'
perfect answer

even at 5 IQ above spell level, tied up and blindfolded, a roll MUST be made.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #15
JustAnotherJarhead

and the gloves off thing for fine dexterity is fine for picking a lock, but I would have to say the whole concept of "two hands" and gestures of a conjuring wizard is beyond the fine detail of a lock pick like function.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #16
Maksindicsbendy
Banned

Default -

We need a smile for the rejected high five. Im thinking smily one goes high and smiley 2 just walks away.

Its the saddest of all smilies.

Sniff

, - ?
, .
Maksindicsbendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #17
Nils_Lindeberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I want a pair of pajamas with both Diamond Flesh and +5 armoring enchantment cast on them so I can show up to a duel looking like I just rolled out of bed and have my opponent's greatsword break over my shoulder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaVE...el=nightsun333
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #18
Nils_Lindeberg

So I have this BLOB tank running around with a terrible DX due to very heavy armor. Now my friend has pinned an opponent and my other friend gets an auto hit attack by the GM. I want in on the fun and ask for an auto hit too, should he say no, or is an auto hit an auto hit no matter your adjDX?
A side note to having to roll DX when using a spell blind and tied up.
Maybe we should handwave those castings to an auto success.

It would make some low-level spells more useful since they can't fail. It also means that a high IQ wizard can use more spells with an auto hit. I am not sure the last part is something to encourage. I like low IQ spells being used more often, but I also like more Wizards with low IQ to be valid character choices and not a self nerf.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:13 PM   #19
Peter von Kleinsmid
The Fantasy Trip Line Editor

If you make spells of 5 below IQ automatically successful, then you'll start seeing munchkin wizards wanting only IQ, and you'll need new rules for (T) and (M) spells, at least.

Also, it's already hard and dangerous to safely capture or imprison a good wizard...
Peter von Kleinsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:05 PM   #20
hcobb

For automatic success of high IQ c.f.: https://thefantasytrip.game/news/201...-fantasy-trip/