Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-29-2020, 11:48 AM   #21
RobW

Default Re: video conference TFT, for dummies

More roll20.net goodness! Here's a screenshot at the conclusion of last night's game.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yp4ptyj57k...38.03.png?dl=0

We are playing "The Curse of Katiki-Mu" from the TFT Adventures. The party has just (proudly) defeated the rather mindless crabmen in the grotto.

But, the overseeing labourer was able to run back to his quarters (in the unrevealed SE corner). He will alert his colleagues, and the "brains" of this outfit will be running out himself (to the north) to alert the actual, very dangerous, warrior guards.

Last edited by RobW; 03-29-2020 at 11:57 AM.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:40 PM   #22
kleefaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
More roll20.net goodness! Here's a screenshot at the conclusion of last night's game.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yp4ptyj57k...38.03.png?dl=0

We are playing "The Curse of Katiki-Mu" from the TFT Adventures. The party has just (proudly) defeated the rather mindless crabmen in the grotto.

But, the overseeing labourer was able to run back to his quarters (in the unrevealed SE corner). He will alert his colleagues, and the "brains" of this outfit will be running out himself (to the north) to alert the actual, very dangerous, warrior guards.
This looks great!!

The green bar is for ST, the blue for DX? Do you make draw lines on the borders of the hexes to make megahexes or do you use some kind of template? And it looks like the counters are aligned to the grid. Very nice!
kleefaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #23
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleefaj View Post
This looks great!!

The green bar is for ST, the blue for DX? Do you make draw lines on the borders of the hexes to make megahexes or do you use some kind of template? And it looks like the counters are aligned to the grid. Very nice!
Thanks! Yes, we used green for ST, blue for DX. You can also track a third attribute in red. ANd roll20 snaps the counters and their facing to the hex grid.

I've now found 3 different ways to make maps. My favorite is to upload pictures of megahexes (I use various colors). The outer border is a thicker line. I use png files with transparency outside the megahex area. I upload these and they are easily accessible as GM. I drag them onto the map, resize them once to fit the grid nicely, and then just copy and paste. Bing, bing, bing, they snap into place and in a few minutes, a pretty nice map!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #24
hcobb

Are you sorting characters by DX order?
Old 04-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #25
RobW

For supported game systems like D&D there is a lot of automation possible.
We're absolute luddites and using roll20 to display the map, roll the dice, and things like that, but not anything fancy, like controlling turn order. That's the GM's job...!
Old 04-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #26
larsdangly

I tried to join a roll20 game this last week and couldn't problem solve the video and audio connection in real time. It was surprisingly hard to figure out how I was supposed to do it, and then when I did it 'right' it didn't work. roll20 has a lot of supported features, but I am a lot more satisfied with the simple approach: I can see and hear you, and we are gaming - the end.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #27
RobW

Just to add to that lars. We had similar sounding issues. We now turn off roll20 audio and video and use Teams, although there are many other options available these days, eg discord, zoom, and more

Roll20 admits their tech here is not good, they use peer-to-peer connections, meaning that for 5 players there are 25 video/audio connections going on (or so). At any one time some of these will fail, and the only suggestion from roll20 is "reconnect". Whereas teams, discord, zoom host the conversation themselves, so more robust without doubt.

So yes, best seems to be use a hosted service for your audio, and roll20 for the map, tokens, dice, text chat, etc
Old 04-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #28
Crimson

Greetings larsdangly,

I was wondering if you may be open to an email interview from my blog about your campaign, running games online and TFT in general.

I just finished interviews with George and Bret of Dark City Games and have a few others done. I was refereed to you by a few people over of TFT Discord.

You an find the blog here before you decide:
http://orderofthecrimsondie.blogspot.com/

I would be honored to have you on.

Cheers!

Crimson.
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:32 PM   #29
larsdangly

Sure; I would be happy to email you about my TFT campaign experiences!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 06:46 PM   #30
RaidenCabrera

For a game like TFT, you'll need a platform that allows video conferencing and screen sharing. Zoom and Discord are popular choices for this. You can create a video call where everyone can see each other, and then one person can share their screen to display the game board or map.
As for moving during combat, it's usually done verbally. Players describe their moves and actions, and the GM manages the game board accordingly.
If you ever plan larger gaming events or conventions in the future, consider hiring conference organizers. They can help you set up and manage all the technical aspects, making it a smoother experience for everyone involved.

Last edited by RaidenCabrera; 12-21-2023 at 12:02 AM.
RaidenCabrera is offline   Reply With Quote