Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #1
Fred Skin

Default Tech & super science

I'm new to TFT and I wanted to know if there is any 'official' tech or super science to be found. The rules appear strictly fantasy, but the background suggests otherwise.
Fred Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Tech & super science

https://thefantasytrip.game/news/201...heroes-in-tft/
Old 01-23-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
Skarg

The Cidri background says that there used to be known high tech and super science but that now none of that is generally available. But there may be left over exceptional artifacts. These tend to be on a case by case basis, and understanding them and messing with them tends to be the specialty of the Mechanicians' Guild (q.v. in In The Labyrinth).

The highest somewhat-commonly-available technology in Cidri that has stats tends to be the unreliable gunpowder weapons (arquebus, blunderbuss, grenade, petard, bombard) but the Mechanicians' Guild may also have some gadgets (locks and traps and siege engines, certainly).

Well, and there is Chemistry, with which one can (try to) concoct the supposedly non-magical potions that are essentially a form of super science.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Skin View Post
I'm new to TFT and I wanted to know if there is any 'official' tech or super science to be found. The rules appear strictly fantasy, but the background suggests otherwise.
License wish list:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundarr_the_Barbarian
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Oooo... I'll donate for that!
Old 01-24-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
warhorse11h

v
Quote:
TFT gives some very rudimentary guidelines for artifacts, including things that could be considered high tech or super science, but the question is largely in the hands of the GM. How often would you want to introduce something like that and in what state is it in. How long has it been on Cidri and where has it been kept. Is it perfectly preserved, rusted solid, broken, etc. If a weapon, is there ammunition for it, has that ammunition been preserved, etc.

A good source of inspiration for such things is The Empire of the Petal Throne, but anything adapted from there would have to be greatly "nerfed" to keep it from overpowering the game.

Anything that did get found would have to be approached from the beginning as a complete unknown, with lots of potential for accidents and mishaps.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
Fred Skin

Thanks Everybody!

Thundarr gets my vote, too!
Fred Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:05 AM   #8
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Thundarr gets my vote, too!
In today's saturated game market, I'm amazed we haven't seen someone create a Thundarr game of any sort. Come on, world, and make this happen!

Also: Would make an awesome TFT setting.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #9
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
In today's saturated game market, I'm amazed we haven't seen someone create a Thundarr game of any sort. Come on, world, and make this happen!.
Time-Warner is kind of notorious for ignoring its animated library. I think there is still Bugs Bunny that doesn't have a DVD release. Expecting them to expend any effort negotiating an RPG license on a short lived kids cartoon from three decades ago....
Old 01-26-2019, 09:30 AM   #10
Mallen the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Time-Warner is kind of notorious for ignoring its animated library. I think there is still Bugs Bunny that doesn't have a DVD release. Expecting them to expend any effort negotiating an RPG license on a short lived kids cartoon from three decades ago....
I guess this means no. But, I still think Phil should try. How much could it be to get the rights? Come on, please.... I will sure support a KS for it.
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote