Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #11
woodchuck

Default Re: Metric? Keep or change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
The original TFT releases used metric measurements because, in the late 1970s, we were being told that really, no kidding, the country was going metric.
I vaguely recall "The US will be metric by 2000" or something like that. Go metric it's what the classic system used.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:29 PM   #12
Skarg

(Weights and map distances were also in metric.)

One approach could be to try to push as many measures as possible to generic game-units (hex, megahex, maybe even generic encumbrance units) and then list in one central early place what those are in real-world units, both metric and Imperial.

If not, my personal tendency would be to stick with metric, though it might make sense to take a broad poll of gamer opinions.

Then there's the consideration that a 1.33m hex would be 4 feet 4 inches across, each megahex 13 feet, or you might tweak it. 5-foot hexes and 15-foot megahexes? If you used 1 hex = 1 yard it and the counters/maps/scenarios/etc would be nicely GURPS-compatible, but then bodies should be 2 hexes, horses 3, polearm reach 3, etc... (On the other hand, when I moved my TFT campaign to GURPS, the scale change seemed to have little problematic effect except not being able to use the horse counters for adult horses.)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:48 PM   #13
JLV

Frankly, it's not that big a deal; however if I were forced to vote, I'd go for yards, pounds, etc., simply because it's a fantasy game and not a Sci-Fi game.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:42 AM   #14
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
The original TFT releases used metric measurements because, in the late 1970s, we were being told that really, no kidding, the country was going metric.

Didn't happen.

The metric measurements feel vaguely dated to me now (I realize my European readers will be going "huh?" at this).

I am inclined to change meters to yards, and so on. Actually, meters may be the only metric quantity in the set. I notice that I already describe the naughty minnow as "inch-long."

Comments?
Ditch it. The vast majority of your players are unfamiliar with the metric system and as you said, the decision was cutting edge for the time. I think the bottom fell out of the metric system when the NFL found out its stadiums wouldn’t accommodate converting yards to meters, but I digress. There’s no advantage at all for most players in using the metric system.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:47 AM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
Ditch it. The vast majority of your players are unfamiliar with the metric system.
That's almost certainly untrue; we may not be a metric country, but that doesn't mean most people aren't still taught the metric system or have learned it for other reasons (such as other RPGs, including the previous edition, that used metric), and of course international players will be unfamiliar with US customary units.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:21 AM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

Most Americans do not think or play in metric regardless of what was officially taught in schools.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:39 AM   #17
Lord Azagthoth

Even tough I am used to the metric measuremenbts and weights, I find it logically to use it for modern and sf campaigns.

But for fantasy, I like to use archaic measurements (passes, day's-marches, etc.). Exact measurement is nice info for the GM (absolutely not for PC's if they don't have range finders or spells which tells them exactly how far, how heavy it is) but it lacks the fantasy mediaeval feeling.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Old 02-21-2018, 02:41 AM   #18
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Most Americans do not think or play in metric regardless of what was officially taught in schools.
Most Americans are familiar enough with metric that one meter hexes will not confuse them (it's sorta similar to a yard, right?), and unfamiliar enough with the actual weight of armor and weapons that it doesn't really matter if kilograms are confusing.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #19
Chris Goodwin

I vote keep. Cidri has a science fictional vibe. Plus I've been playing Fantasy Hero in metric for years.

Approximations are good enough. One meter approximately equals one yard. One kilogram approximately equals two pounds. One liter approximately equals one quart.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Old 02-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #20
Carnifex

I see no compelling reason to change the game from the metric system, personally I think the American system is obsolete and should have been replaced in the 70's anyway.
Closed Thread