Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2017, 06:34 AM   #11
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Intercede!; Catch-all ability for defending and resisting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Luck has several named levels: "Luck" (60 minutes), "Extraordinary Luck" (30 minutes), "Ridiculous Luck" (10 minutes). The pattern looks like the cost doubles and the time drops by a factor of 2 or 3, so if there were another level (which there isn't), it'd probably be 120 CP for a 5 minute cooldown.

Super Luck isn't open-ended per RAW. Its description says you can only take it once. The text also explicitly allows both Super Luck and Luck, so Super isn't the topmost level of the Luck chain, but another ability in addition to your "normal" Luck.
Super Luck can have more levels, according to either Powers or Supers. Each level halves refresh time, up to 14 levels allowing 'constant' use.

Luck seems like it could do the same, however much it would be.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #12
kirbwarrior

I guess one combination that might work is Affliction with the bonuses (Enhanced Defenses, Will+, HT+, Super Luck, etc.) and Reflexive, but can I use this once I know they failed their roll?

Afflicting Super Luck with Cumulative is probably the top end of what the power could do. Would it be a feature that instead of them gaining multiple levels of Super Luck that they just use it on the (next or now) roll and Cumulative lets me use it repeatedly on the same person?

(Side Note: I'm a little confused on the bumping and thread resurrection rules, if I'm breaking one please let me know)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #13
Seneschal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I guess one combination that might work is Affliction with the bonuses (Enhanced Defenses, Will+, HT+, Super Luck, etc.) and Reflexive, but can I use this once I know they failed their roll?

Afflicting Super Luck with Cumulative is probably the top end of what the power could do. Would it be a feature that instead of them gaining multiple levels of Super Luck that they just use it on the (next or now) roll and Cumulative lets me use it repeatedly on the same person?
Didn't you say previously that you didn't want it as a power?

I think putting several advantages in an Affliction's payload is fine, but only if they are linked (i.e., all of them are always applied together). Your power only seems to give one thing at a time, depending on the incoming attack. Thus, I'd make three Afflictions (one for Defense Bonus, another for Will, another for HT), and just buy the most expensive one at full price.

Luck doesn't have to be on the Affliction. There's Luck (Wishing, +100%) which allows you to demand rerolls of any dice, as long as your character witnessed the action. Link that to your affliction, and it appears something like this.

Intercede! [81]
You interpose mystic barriers to protect yourself and your allies from harm. Whenever you or an ally you can perceive is targeted by an attack or a resisted effect, they gain a bonus depending on the nature of the attack. You need not roll to affect yourself, and allies do not roll to resist; as long as they are within 100 yards, they gain the bonus. If the target is subject to a physical attack, they gain a +1 bonus to Dodge, Block and Parry against it; if they're targeted by a resisted effect, they gain a +3 bonus on their Will or HT resistance roll. Additionally, whenever you activate this power and the target still fails a defense or resistance roll, they may reroll it twice and take the best result; this effect can only be used once per hour of play.

Affliction (Will; Accessibility, Cannot Use Consciously, -20%; Advantage, DB 1, +300%; Cosmic, No Die Roll Required, +100%; Duration, Fixed, +0%; Link, +20%; Magical, -10%; Reduced Duration, 1 second, -45%; Reflexive, +40%) [49]

Affliction (Will; Accessibility, Cannot Use Consciously, -20%; Advantage, Will +3, +150%; Cosmic, No Die Roll Required, +100%; Duration, Fixed, +0%; Link, +20%; Magical, -10%; Reduced Duration, 1 second, -45%; Reflexive, +40%) [34/7*]

Affliction (Will; Accessibility, Cannot Use Consciously, -20%; Advantage, Very Fit, +150%; Cosmic, No Die Roll Required, +100%; Duration, Fixed, +0%; Link, +20%; Magical, -10%; Reduced Duration, 1 second, -45%; Reflexive, +40%) [34/7*]

Luck (Defensive, -20%; Link, +10%; Magical, -10%; Wishing, +100%) [18]

---------

This is the only way I can see it done without cheesing some Affliction (Advantage, Luck (Defensive, Single Use, etc.)) which you reapply constantly, guaranteeing rerolls every round (which should cost infinite points). Still, since you stipulated no limits to your power (no Accessibility, FP costs, Limited Use, Requires Recharge, etc.), this is essentially a passive +1 to all defenses/+3 to Will/HT to yourself, and everyone you consider an ally within 100m of you... For a measly 81 points. Given that the advantages, bought by themselves, cost [60], you've basically added an Affect Other, +30% modifier on them. Actually seems a bit... too good.

EDIT: Thinking about it... yeah, this is way too damn good. And it's Reflexive that's the problem. It allows the ability to go off basically at will (or even before you know you need it!), instantly, however many times you need it per turn, and with no cooldown. That's just insane, especially on a ranged defensive ability. To balance things out, I'd rule that it works like Block - you only get to cast it once per round. That way, you have to prioritize whom you protect, and lacking any friendlies, it still gives three bonuses to yourself practically all the time.

Last edited by Seneschal; 07-26-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Seneschal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:18 AM   #14
kirbwarrior

I do want it as an advantage-based power. Any other system and I can basically just hand-wave some way to make it work.

I'm not certain why you made them alternative abilities. You'd have to switch on your own turn to which is up. Much easier to just slap them onto the same affliction. And then it's not strangely cheap.

There's no enhancement to allow them to ignore rolling. Malediction can do that (and I have a houseruled enhancement that precisely does that)

Luck every round wouldn't be infinite points. Super Luck every round is 1400pts. Luck is definitely cheaper than that (1/6 cost if the first levels are to go off of).

I think with all the extra enhancements needed, it would work. I guess always applying the effect is as useful as being able to add it after they fail. That is cool.

Is there a way I could roll to resist or defend for someone? Like a super beefed up Sacrificial Parry?