Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-27-2021, 09:45 PM   #1
nukesnipe

Default Experience Points in the Infinite Arena

I'm a purely solitaire player looking for suggestions on how to award experience in the Infinite Arena.

I realize the easiest answer is "However I'd like" but I'm trying to stay true the spirit of the Legacy Edition.

I'm thinking about awarding experience based on the total attribute points of the adversaries divided by the number of characters that started the encounter. For instance, I just finished a 3v3 encounter with 6 32-pt characters. Each of my surviving characters received 32 experience points for the encounter.

Does that seem reasonable?

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:17 AM   #2
tomc

Default Re: Experience Points in the Infinite Arena

Yes it does.

I do 1 Exp per hit delivered, plus Exp equal to the foe's DX to whomever delivers the killing blow. That equals ST + DX. And since the characters don't have a chance to earn Exp from puzzle solving, role playing, etc., giving them a bonus equal to the foe's IQ makes up for some of that.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium

Last edited by tomc; 05-28-2021 at 06:53 AM.
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 01:32 PM   #3
nukesnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
Yes it does.

I do 1 Exp per hit delivered, plus Exp equal to the foe's DX to whomever delivers the killing blow. That equals ST + DX. And since the characters don't have a chance to earn Exp from puzzle solving, role playing, etc., giving them a bonus equal to the foe's IQ makes up for some of that.
Thanks! I like the "old school" method of awarding experience but desired some outside opinions.

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 05:44 AM   #4
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukesnipe View Post
I'm a purely solitaire player looking for suggestions on how to award experience in the Infinite Arena.

I realize the easiest answer is "However I'd like" but I'm trying to stay true the spirit of the Legacy Edition.

I'm thinking about awarding experience based on the total attribute points of the adversaries divided by the number of characters that started the encounter. For instance, I just finished a 3v3 encounter with 6 32-pt characters. Each of my surviving characters received 32 experience points for the encounter.

Does that seem reasonable?
Yes, I also like awarding everyone an equal share of XP. It's less bookkeeping but also feels more fair, eg to the tanks putting themselves on the line so the archers and wizards can pick everyone off
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:28 AM   #5
larsdangly

or you could use the XP rules from Melee and Wizard, which award round number values based on relative stat totals of opponents. I think it is a better way to go because setting the award equal to the stat total of the foe defeated is way too flat. A 28 point opponent is barely worth considering for a standard starting player, whereas a 38 point opponent has a good chance of straight-up murdering you no matter who you are. That 10 point gap in possible XP awards is trivial compared to the difference in difficulty.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #6
Skarg

^ Yes, that's the main problem with the original ITL experience points. It makes wiping out many inferior foes much more valuable than facing equal or stronger foes, in terms of actual risk or accomplishment.

As written, Infinite Arenas battles start as more of less even matches (except when one party ends up being much better at the challenges) so something along the lines of the Melee/Wizard "Arena Combat" experience awards make sense to use for most cards.

Last edited by Skarg; 05-29-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:20 PM   #7
tomc

Good points by all above. Another way to look at it is how many (and how dangerous) fights do you need to survive to get an attribute point.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:03 AM   #8
larsdangly

Note Melee and Wizard also have different, and faster, progression rules than ITL. They basically offer a flat increase in stat points per victory at a given level of difficulty.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote