Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-08-2021, 07:42 PM   #11
Shostak

Default Re: Shifting multihex figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I'm thinking that Shostak was optimistic about a party of four 36 pt. characters' chances if it's outdoors, depending of course on the weapon and spell options.
Well, I never said they'd all be likely to live through the encounter! ;-)

If three or even all four of the characters can engage it from its side hexes, they have a good chance of attacking first and avoiding the claws. One dose of its own medicine through Reverse Missiles on the breath attack could make the intelligent dragon think twice about blasting again. If one figure goes down, though, and they can't keep the dragon engaged, it could quickly go pear-shaped.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:51 PM   #12
phiwum

Yeah, I've been following your other advice and putting the flying dragon outdoors, where the dragon has a huge advantage. I have a beautiful map and everything now, though I could still downgrade the dragon to four hex. I could also up the number of characters.

In fact, I kinda doubled down on what you said and I put the dragon on a tower and put the tower on a cliff. I can put trees at the base of the cliff, which would give good cover from air attacks and there's no reason to think that the dragon is always watching for approaching heroes, so they might make it up the cliff safely. They could also reconnoiter and set up in the tower or nearby abandoned barracks when the dragon is out gallivanting.

But, and I want to make this perfectly clear: if this adventure is too hard, it's on you. I listened to a grizzled old-timer who's been in the trenches a while, so it ain't on me.

Anyway, I have plenty of time to adjust this adventure. I haven't even hinted really that there's a dragon in the area. I told them about missing shipments of gold, but they're already convinced that Enkarr is the site of a huge smuggling operation for some reason.

I love rumors. Even the totally true rumors get twisted to fit a narrative that I hadn't even considered.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:11 PM   #13
Shostak

The dragon could be only at partial strength, recovering from another party of would-be heroes.

Seriously, they can do it, if they play it smart. And if they don't roll too badly. Or if the dragon doesn't roll well. Or,... :-0

If it goes badly for them, remember that it doesn't have to end with a TPK. Dragons are smart. Maybe it has a grudge to settle with something else or a magic item it wants back from a wizard who stole it and will offer beaten-but-not-dead PCs a chance to live if they take an oath to work for him.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:25 PM   #14
phiwum

Ah, I like the idea of avoiding a total wash by forcing them to serve him. But I wonder how a dragon enforces the contract? Surveillance is difficult, because dragons tend not to blend into the background.

I'll have to think about that, Shostak. Thanks for the ideas.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:28 AM   #15
hcobb

Whataboutism a TFT adventure about dragon gods who keep a village safe from shadows of the night?

https://discord.gg/D9SDwEWV