Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
mhynek

Default Usage of Blink Other spell?

I have a question as to the usage of the spell Blink Other. The spell, as listed, does NOT have a resist. This implies that it can be used on foes to "bounce" them around/off cliffs/etc, all for a flat mana cost (i.e., cost is not based on weight like Levitate is).

My question to the community is: is there something written in the Magic book already that discusses the usage of <spell> Other spells, and maybe I just missed it?

If not, I would like others to chime as to how they rule on spells like this: allow it with no resist? apply a HT or Will resist? can only be cast on willing subjects? etc.

Thank you.

-- Mike
mhynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: Usage of Blink Other spell?

Blink Other is not clear on whether the caster or the subject selects the point to which the subject moves.

Personally, I would rule that Blocking <spell> Other spells are willing subject only.

Edit: In the darkness of chaos, I fooled Kromm, and I took from him the enigma of game balance. Kromm was angered.

Last edited by RyanW; 03-27-2021 at 12:48 PM.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
spacemonkey

Kromm clarified it long ago. Blink moves you so you can avoid an attack. Blink Other moves your ally so they can avoid an attack. Opponents automatically resist.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...596#post241596
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:38 PM   #4
mhynek

Thank you. Spacemonkey, your response is what I was looking for. This helps a lot.

-- Mike
mhynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:39 PM   #5
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
Kromm clarified it long ago. Blink moves you so you can avoid an attack. Blink Other moves your ally so they can avoid an attack. Opponents automatically resist.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...596#post241596
I think what's interesting is the RP aspect of this.

Like for example, do you feel a blink being cast on you? Do you know if it's coming from an ally or an enemy inherently, or would you need that communicated to you to be able to know whether to RP dropping guard or not?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 03:06 AM   #6
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I think what's interesting is the RP aspect of this.

Like for example, do you feel a blink being cast on you? Do you know if it's coming from an ally or an enemy inherently, or would you need that communicated to you to be able to know whether to RP dropping guard or not?
That ruling is purely from a game mechanical balance perspective, there's no RP aspect to it. The only way it makes RP sense is if the spell only works as long as the caster considers the target friendly and wants to protect them.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:49 AM   #7
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
The only way it makes RP sense...
Also makes sense when magic isn't an entirely passive, neutral force (as it's often viewed from our modern-day post-physics perspective).

This might range from the inherent nature of the spell (beneficial guardian) being incompatible with the OP's intent (kill an enemy by dropping them off a cliff), so the spell fails, through a more karmic view, through magic in general being somewhat animate if not outright having its own purposes (as with the Force in Star Wars) which just won't kill that enemy for you, through a more human-like intelligence (like most divine magic).

Last edited by Anaraxes; 03-28-2021 at 09:40 AM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:12 AM   #8
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Also makes sense when magic isn't an entirely passive, neutral force (as it's often viewed from our modern-day post-physics perspective).

This might range from the inherent nature of the spell (beneficial guardian) being incompatible with the OP's intent (kill an enemy by dropping them off a cliff, so the spell fails, through a more karmic view, through magic in general being somewhat animate if not outright having its own purposes (as with the Force in Star Wars) which just won't kill that enemy for you, through a more human-like intelligence (like most divine magic).
I'm going to ignore the mismatched parentheses.

As I said above, the spell could also be interpreted as giving the subject the ability to Blink, rather than the caster making them Blink. Which means that anyone could choose not to - because the caster has hostile intentions, because there's not safe place to Blink to, because it would be a dishonorable retreat, etc.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:40 AM   #9
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I'm going to ignore the mismatched parentheses.
Here you go:
]
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #10
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
The only way it makes RP sense is if the spell only works as long as the caster considers the target friendly and wants to protect them.
What if you blink an enemy out of the way of an ally's attack to protect your ally from repercussions of a successful attack? Enemy avoids damage so that's the intent but not the primary intent.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blink other