Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-03-2019, 04:40 AM   #61
Gumby Bush

Default Re: Staff Spell Item Prerequisites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
I would tend to [rule...] that you have to get it from a certain kind of tree that's suited for the role. Some places might have groves of that kind of tree growing, and harvest branches periodically for staves. It might incorporate jewels and stuff, of course.
I was toying with replacing Staff spell with a CF (+3 or so would leave a Quarterstaff Staff at the same cost) representing being made of magically conductive materials.

To accommodate requiring a wizard to make his own Staff, this would only require a suitable Smith or Armory specialty, possibly with a technique (Staffworking, defaults to Armory-5 or Smith-5, benefits from Magery, and at an additional -5 for each of Low Mana and lacking Magery 0, impossible in No Mana Zones), rather than Staff spell's 11 prerequisites.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #62
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Staff Spell Item Prerequisites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
I

I would tend to get around that by house-ruling that it has to be wood (I tend not even to accept bone),
Except perhaps for Necromancers who can't use wood and have to use bone instead.

Tags
brainstorm, house rules, staff spell