Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-01-2021, 02:52 AM   #11
David Bofinger

Default Re: Experience with Comparative DX for Combat?

Quote:
I would encourage readers to look a the variant fencing rules in Hexagram #6.
Those rules are, in my opinion, the madness of which Lear warned. Lots and lots of die rolls and not a player decision among the lot of them.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:57 AM   #12
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
Those rules are, in my opinion, the madness of which Lear warned. Lots and lots of die rolls and not a player decision among the lot of them.
Yes, there is enough die rolling as it is with separate initiative, to hit and damage rolls.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:26 AM   #13
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Yes, I definitely missed that rule.
Ok. I imagine I'd agree with your assessment of the house rule you were playing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
No, just talking about melee... DX 14 wizard with a dagger (or staff) vs adjDX 10 hero with a broadsword. Or even a DX 12 Fencer vs that same wizard. In both cases the heroes are at a disadvantage which seems off given their superior combat training.
I don't see an issue with Chris' house rule there, but I could see expanding it to represent what you're pointing to, which seems to me like wanting combat talents to figure in. Perhaps daggers and weapons without talents would have less defensive effect, for example. In my own playtest experiments, I added options where a figure can forgo their defense to get a higher chance to hit, which the heroes facing wizards might well choose.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #14
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
I don't think it's quite that bad, but I am in agreement with David and Chris about not wanting to add more die rolls to TFT. I merely wanted to suggest the article as another way of applying an offensive/defensive advantage based on DX.

Touching on another aspect of David's response, however, I also think that player choice (especially when it involves making trade-offs between two or more opposing options) is core to TFT's design. With that in mind, I'd like to offer a variation on Chris' house-rule... instead of using comparative DX for every engagement, let each figure decide if they want to exchange some of their offensive advantage for defense. So using the original example, in melee Aragorn can opt to lower his 16 DX to 14 and then use those sacrificed 2 points as a DX penalty enforced on the orc's attack (-2 DX to hit Aragorn).

I originally shared this optional rule in a different thread last year.
https://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=171350

Last edited by TippetsTX; 08-01-2021 at 06:03 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparative, defense