Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-21-2016, 12:49 AM   #1
scc

Default Ethnic Cool Weapons, What's the Point?

OK recently got Fantasy-Tech 1, and have just checked out the Ethnic Cool Weapons section and I have to say that I'm rather disappointed, the Legendary Katana only does a single point of damage more then and changes the Parry from 0 to 0F from the version in Basic, similarly the Welsh Longbow is that much better then the one is Basic, so what's the point?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:53 AM   #2
Mailanka

Default Re: Ethnic Cool Weapons, What's the Point?

The Legendary Katana is also harder to break. It is, in effect, "Fine for free," which means, of course, that you can have a Fine legendary katana, or a Very Fine legendary katana, both of which I used in Cherry Blossom Rain. It's a surprisingly effective weapon.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:24 AM   #3
Tomsdad

Yep that and the two handed option built in, it's basically the best at everything (just as per the legend)

And the welsh longbow comes with a free AD(2), that ain't bad!
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:45 AM   #4
weby

The fencing parry for the katana is the big deal in our games where multiple opponents are pretty common and the +2 extra for retreat is nice when fighting worthy foes.
For the bow it is the armor penetration that is the big deal.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:31 AM   #5
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
The Legendary Katana is also harder to break. It is, in effect, "Fine for free," which means, of course, that you can have a Fine legendary katana, or a Very Fine legendary katana, both of which I used in Cherry Blossom Rain. It's a surprisingly effective weapon.
Where is this stated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Yep that and the two handed option built in, it's basically the best at everything (just as per the legend)
Already exists for the normal Katana, check out B274.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
And the welsh longbow comes with a free AD(2), that ain't bad!
Unless it stacks with the bodkin points rules it's not that good.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:58 AM   #6
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
OK recently got Fantasy-Tech 1, and have just checked out the Ethnic Cool Weapons section and I have to say that I'm rather disappointed, the Legendary Katana only does a single point of damage more then and changes the Parry from 0 to 0F from the version in Basic, similarly the Welsh Longbow is that much better then the one is Basic, so what's the point?

Um that is the point.

If you don't think its enough just keep on adding bonuses until you do. Problem solved.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:06 AM   #7
Tomsdad

Quote:

Already exists for the normal Katana, check out B274.
The point is it's in addition to the bumped up stat line so you now have a sword that can cut at Sw+3 1,2 and Imp at Thr+3 2, and get a fencing parry.

Seriously show me another sword in the LT list that can do that. Noticeably the Zweihander in the same book is even better, but then the only thing that can beat one legendary ethnic weapon is another!

Quote:
1). why would it not stack, the AD(2) is function of the awesomeness of the bow, the arrow is separate

2). look at the DRs in LT, Thr+3 (2) is beating most of them

3), The issue is I think comparing this thing to Basic or LT bows, for a true comparison to realistic bows you should be comparing it to Deadly Spring.

But anyway given the point of the chapter is to emulate various weapon myths, if you don't feel they do so by enough just beef them up some more! Basically you don't need to worry amount balance.

So make that Katana Sw+5 and AD(2) for proper tank barrel cutting and make the welsh Longbow Thr +6 AD(5) and it will pin fully armoured French knights to Oak doors etc ;-)

Last edited by Tomsdad; 11-21-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:40 AM   #8
weby

Quote:
You do not want to use bodkin points normally as you lose the imp damage type. Up to an including heavy plate (DR 9) the normal arrow is better/as good.

You are after all getting the (2) penetration while retaining Impaling and that is a great deal.

Of course if you are fighting something more than heavy plate like fantasy monsters(or mooks where just getting 1 point is enough), then yes you may want to use Bodkin points for the (4) penetration.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:45 AM   #9
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
You do not want to use bodkin points normally as you lose the imp damage type. Up to an including heavy plate (DR 9) the normal arrow is better/as good.

You are after all getting the (2) penetration while retaining Impaling and that is a great deal.

Of course if you are fighting something more than heavy plate like fantasy monsters(or mooks where just getting 1 point is enough), then yes you may want to use Bodkin points for the (4) penetration.
Good Point (I've been using deadly spring so long I forget bodkins dropped to Pi in basic!)

Last edited by Tomsdad; 11-22-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:44 AM   #10
Varyon

I'm not certain what you're looking for here. Ethnic Cool weapons are those that are simply better than whatever the weapon's stats should be thanks to an awesome reputation. The Legendary Katana is better than the Katana. The Welsh Longbow is better than the Longbow. The Fossil Oosik is better than the Knobbed Club. The Zanbatou and Zweihander are both better than the Greatsword.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy tech