Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Pyramid

Old 12-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
PiperHolmes

Default Pyramid 3:63 question on Jumper/Pocket Dimension

Hello all. Don't log in much, so please go easy on me if this has been asked before. ;)

Have a question on Jumper/Pocket Dimension, introduced in the Pyramid article above. I'm trying to visualize the options by which Pocket Dimensions may appear as part of the base cost, and what requires additional enhancements.

For instance, let's say I take Larger Size 10, which enables creation of a 'small country' sized dimension. I assume I could make it look like most realworld landscapes, roughly on the order of the size of Lake Tahoe, for instance.

Continuing on the Lake Tahoe reference, I'm further assuming I could, at base cost, make said Dimension look like Lake Tahoe, whose boundaries are the Sierra Nevadas around it.

From reading the description, I assume I could actually place a lake in there, but the water would not be drinkable (it's there, it'll get you wet, hell you could drown in it), but you could not use it for sustenance. You could however take Matter Creation enhancement to make (some) of the water potable.

In terms of the ponderosa pines, I assume those are included in the base cost, but only if they cannot be 'reused', for instance building materials or making fires. To create 'usable' trees, I'd have to use Vital Creation.

You could also use Vital Creation to fill said area with life, like ground squirrels, mountain lions, and black bears.

Now, what about buildings? I assume if my TBD character wanted to have a log cabin there, he'd need to have sufficient Matter Creation or Snatcher to introduce such a structure. Same thing with any furnishings. And of course, he could bring in things as well, assuming he has sufficient Extra Carrying Capacity.

Just wanted to make sure I understood this correctly. Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance!
PiperHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:48 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Pyramid 3:63 question on Jumper/Pocket Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperHolmes View Post
Have a question on Jumper/Pocket Dimension, introduced in the Pyramid article above. I'm trying to visualize the options by which Pocket Dimensions may appear as part of the base cost, and what requires additional enhancements.
When in doubt, assume it doesn't include anything but the space and whatever you bring in. That's how I built it.

Quote:
For instance, let's say I take Larger Size 10, which enables creation of a 'small country' sized dimension. I assume I could make it look like most realworld landscapes, roughly on the order of the size of Lake Tahoe, for instance.
Sure. But I'd require Matter Creation for something like this. You want trees and water? Pay for it.

Quote:
Continuing on the Lake Tahoe reference, I'm further assuming I could, at base cost, make said Dimension look like Lake Tahoe, whose boundaries are the Sierra Nevadas around it.
See above.

Quote:
From reading the description, I assume I could actually place a lake in there, but the water would not be drinkable (it's there, it'll get you wet, hell you could drown in it), but you could not use it for sustenance. You could however take Matter Creation enhancement to make (some) of the water potable.
I'm not sure if I'd allow it without Matter Creation unless you are brining the water in. It just raises too many questions like if its not water what is it? An illusion? Does it disappear when removed from the realm? No, for your suggested build I'd tell the player they need Matter Creation as well.

Quote:
In terms of the ponderosa pines, I assume those are included in the base cost, but only if they cannot be 'reused', for instance building materials or making fires. To create 'usable' trees, I'd have to use Vital Creation.
Again, see above. All of this is setting of my inner munchkin alarms. The advantage states that fixtures, furniture and the like are not included. For For Lake Fauxhoe that would be basically everything from trees to grass to squirrels.

Quote:
You could also use Vital Creation to fill said area with life, like ground squirrels, mountain lions, and black bears.
Yes.

Quote:
Now, what about buildings? I assume if my TBD character wanted to have a log cabin there, he'd need to have sufficient Matter Creation or Snatcher to introduce such a structure. Same thing with any furnishings. And of course, he could bring in things as well, assuming he has sufficient Extra Carrying Capacity.
Or he could bring in materials from the outside world and build it there. That works too.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
PiperHolmes

Thanks Chris! That helps immensely.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:01 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Thanks Chris! That helps immensely.
Good. Glad to hear it. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 12-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #5
PiperHolmes

Double post

Last edited by PiperHolmes; 12-09-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #6
PiperHolmes

Hey Christopher: one more question, more out of curiosity than a game question.

How did you model the furnishings, and presumably other factors like power and running water in Hotel Infinity? Thanks.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:23 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Hey Christopher: one more question, more out of curiosity than a game question.

How did you model the furnishings, and presumably other factors like power and running water in Hotel Infinity? Thanks.
Mostly Finny itself - it's a genius loci that wanders with its location - it cheats, that's why it acts as a Patron. Matter control + Malleable Physics to create a perpetual motion machine could supply energy. Running water could be as simple as creating a small crack into a specific place. Again, Malleable Physics could be useful here.

The furnishings were either brought in or made. I imagine it's a hodgepodge of things from across the multiverse. "This is the Lincoln-131 Room. Enjoy!"

Become a Patron!
Old 12-09-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
PiperHolmes

That's a neat way of doing it!
Old 12-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
That's a neat way of doing it!
It was a bit of a cheat, but it made sense for what I was trying to do and as my granddaddy was fond of saying "If ya ain't cheatin', ya ain't trying hard enough."

Become a Patron!
Old 12-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #10
PiperHolmes

Assuming one wanted to go down the 'not a Patron route', would it be simple enough to represent furnishings, power and water (game mechanics) using Wealth, for instance paying a monthly living cost for the character's realworld Status, as well as the pocket dimension Status?

This might fit the 'wandering vagabond with Pocket Dimension multistory condo (Status 1)' scenario, where they pay $300 a month for Status -1 (vagabond) plus $1200 (Status 1). Presumably the second payment would be made to the equivalent of Pocket Dimension Co Op, a Pan Dimensional Regulated Utility.