Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
Blackrush

Default New cinematic skill - Celerity

Hello,
Cinematic skills already cover skills to give stronger blows, jump higher, and many other habilities.
All of these skills already exist in forms of advantages (example, super jump).
How would work a skill that increases the speed of movement in a way similar to other cinematic skills?
Blackrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: New cinematic skill - Celerity

Running type move or combat reflexes type move?
I would probably go with a Power Blow base or maybe build it along the lines of a technique using Running and/or Extra effort rules.
though really I would probably just go with advantages rather then skill.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
starslayer

Already exists in the form of rapid strike, extremely rapid strike, etc, and the extra attack advantage- TBAM/Weapon master already have a half cost for rapid strike built into the advantage (-3 per extra attack instead of -6).

Someone with TBAM can launch 5 attacks per round at -12 per attack (Often a very surmountable penalty in a game where TBAM/Weapon master exists).
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Nosforontu

A simple way would be to make it a Dex Very Hard Skill that gives you a +1 bonus to your Movement Rate equal to the relative difference of the skill compared to your dex.

This would give you effectively a 8 point buy in to get it at dex and 4 points for each level of skill you have afterwards, which is fairly close to the base cost of of the extra Move Advantage of 5 points per level and easy enough to match point wise a -20% limitation. You could probably even simply reduce it to a Hard Dex skill as well.

To double up the movement perhaps use the power blow modifiers as a penalty to your roll with each -10 or so penalty to the roll doubling your skill.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
kdtipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
A simple way would be to make it a Dex Very Hard Skill that gives you a +1 bonus to your Movement Rate equal to the relative difference of the skill compared to your dex.

This would give you effectively a 8 point buy in to get it at dex and 4 points for each level of skill you have afterwards, which is fairly close to the base cost of of the extra Move Advantage of 5 points per level and easy enough to match point wise a -20% limitation. You could probably even simply reduce it to a Hard Dex skill as well.

To double up the movement perhaps use the power blow modifiers as a penalty to your roll with each -10 or so penalty to the roll doubling your skill.
I've always thought the running skill should include a run speed bonus. More skillful runners in real life run faster because of the study of technique and long periods of practice. Sure they are probably getting healthier (increasing basic speed) as they train, but some portion of the speed improvement is skill. I like your idea of +1 to move per point of skill above DX (or HT... isn't running based on HT?), but maybe make it only apply to sprinting, or apply less for long distance?

If it's supposed to be cinematic (like super jump is cinematic), you could just say the run speed is increased by skill level, but costs fatigue to keep up that pace or something.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
thulben

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtipa View Post
Sure they are probably getting healthier (increasing basic speed) as they train
I think you mean "increasing Basic Move" here...
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Already exists in the form of rapid strike, extremely rapid strike, etc,
I don't think I've seen Extermely rapid strike. Is that from Martial Arts?
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrush View Post
Hello,
Cinematic skills already cover skills to give stronger blows, jump higher, and many other habilities.
All of these skills already exist in forms of advantages (example, super jump).
How would work a skill that increases the speed of movement in a way similar to other cinematic skills?
From your phrasing I assume that you mean moving at blur speed rather than multiple attacking and you are right that there is no Cinematic Skill that covers that.

Modelling it on Power Blow and giving you an instantaneous doubling or tripling of Ground Move (acceleration time as per Enhnced Move would be counter productive) on the appropriately penalized roll would be a simple way to do it.

The Skill would normally be used without any prep time but the penalties should probably not be changed.. You'd make 1 FP per turn too of course.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #9
gjc8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The Skill would normally be used without any prep time but the penalties should probably not be changed.
Even using it with preparation time, it won't be totally useless. You can use it to move between cover that would normally be too far apart, for example, or use it to make particularly powerful slams.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
Blackrush

I think that i will use a mix of the ideas here.

It will be a skill similar to power blow ( with time required to minimize penaltys to the skill roll), and it will give a bonus to move.

Celerity ( DX/VH)
When you roll against skill and spend 1 fp, you double your movement for one second.
IN any other situation when your running , you may opt to add +1 to your move equal to the relative difference of the skill compared to your dex.
When you receive this bonus, you lose twice the fp amount for exertion rolls.

It looks ok for you guys?
Thanks for the ideas!
Blackrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cinematic, martial arts