Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 11-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #131
Hide

Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

Hello,

I noticed these points you are talking about, GnomesOfZurich helped me noticing some of them. I made changes before you posted this review; I guess the character is better now, but I will elaborate on your comments and post the character again:

Mental ST was duplicated because I missed changing the name of the per based mental st to "PSI-observation".

Since I moved some CP to the skill pool, I overlooked the costs and had the thought my PSI powers added the 100 points, I realized this and changed it already.

After I noticed the missing CP on the PSI powers, I upgraded the PSI attack. I scrapped striking ST and increased the innate attack's damage output. I had to change the type of damage and to remove a "mundane" advantage to do so; but I think it is much better now.

I roughly conceive vibration sense as the ability to scan areas from a safe distance and also to fight in the dark. Something similar would be Halo's promethean vision. On the other hand, precognitive parry is based on the "mundane" trained by a master and danger sense advantages. So, I moved danger sense to PSI abilities and turned it into an alternative ability for vibration sense, it has an enhancement to keep its passive-reflexive nature (details on the character sheet).

Finally, you are right about the points for jobs; I lowered them when I raised IQ and forgot about that fact.

Last edited by Hide; 12-09-2020 at 12:31 AM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #132
Jairden

Hello. Trying to find a place to play. Is there any available room in this game? If not, sorry to pester!
Jairden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:42 AM   #133
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Psi: Extra FP 2 [6];
Question: Are we going to spend FP when activating skills?
Only when performing stunts. Which I encourage.

Quote:
Dual-Weapon Attack (PSI) -3 [2] 15
I'm not really convinced that's a psi skill.

The only psychokinesis you have right now is the psi blade. I'd really like it if she had a few alternate abilities on that power. Not expensive ones, but ones to show its a power set and not a lone ability.

I'm curious if you're set on the innate attack have a divisor of 10 at all times, or could you save some points by only accessing it via a stunt? you won't normally need to be stabbing through armor.

Thank you for the reference.

Quote:
Sanitized Metabolism [1];
You know, given how much of this game has been spent on or around toilets, this might actually matter.

I haven't double checked your math yet, and I'm still a little nervous about how she'll handle laser beams, but the character is looking mostly done.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:49 AM   #134
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jairden View Post
Hello. Trying to find a place to play. Is there any available room in this game? If not, sorry to pester!
I'd say yes at this point.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 11-23-2020, 07:33 PM   #135
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
(...) I'm still a little nervous about how she'll handle laser beams, but the character is looking mostly done.
Thank you, how will you handle defences? In other words, if I dodge a burst of 10 laser beams, am I going to dodge them all by succeeding the roll, or am I going to dodge a number of laser beams accordingly to my margin of success?

I plan to defend like this: With a successful precognitive parry roll, I can parry beams as if I were parrying a melee weapon attack (MA:62). I have a parry of 16, and with karate I can parry twice without penalties, besides this I have acrobatic dodge, retreats and feverish defences (if you allow feverish defences). On the tactical side, with vibration sense I can perceive my enemies without facing them directly, I can scan areas while moving around the ship and pick the most convenient locations or routes during a battle. Finally, I have included a new ability to become stealthier and harder to hit (obscure) so in combination with a successful stealth roll, diversions and my ally’s photorefraction and PK shield abilities I can boost my battle proficiency even more.

I am taking note of your comments; I will try to improve the character accordinlgy:

Last edited by Hide; 12-09-2020 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #136
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Thank you, how will you handle defences? In other words, if I dodge a burst of 10 laser beams, am I going to dodge them all by succeeding the roll, or am I going to dodge a number of laser beams accordingly to my margin of success?

I plan to defend like this: With a successful precognitive parry roll, I can parry beams as if I were parrying a melee weapon attack (MA:62). I have a parry of 16, and with karate I can parry twice without penalties, besides this I have acrobatic dodge, retreats and feverish defences (if you allow feverish defences). On the tactical side, with vibration sense I can perceive my enemies without facing them directly, I can scan areas while moving around the ship and pick the most convenient locations or routes during a battle. Finally, I have included a new ability to become stealthier and harder to hit (obscure) so in combination with a successful stealth roll, diversions and my ally’s photorefraction and PK shield abilities I can boost my battle proficiency even more.
I was planning on using the standard recoil and dodge rules for lasers. Letting players dodge 2 hits per success by 1 might be on the table, as laser recoil is so low.

However, for the third or fourth time: "psychokinesis cannot parry lasers". I saw that you were planning to jedi your way through the enemy early on, which is awesome, but psychokinesis can't parry lasers. I suppose ergokinesis might be able to. Ergokinesis would leave you unable to parry bullets, but those will be rarer. That could possibly focus your abilities more, with the new ergokinesis build.

In order to get precognative parry you need ESP: danger sense as ergokinesis won't work. However, if the hand blade is ergokinesis, that brings everything into two powers.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:03 PM   #137
Kalzazz

Do you have a pregen I might be able to use or would Gnome or TGLS be able to help me with one?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:23 PM   #138
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I actually made three pregens back when I thought the game wasn't going to be run. They are made fairly simply, literal action characters with a 100 point psionic package and the 30 points of job and flavor. They are:

• Angelica "Ox" Smith: Talker Template, Telekinetic, Hyperspace engineer, grew up as a street rat
  • Markly "Nile" Hysop: Infiltrator, Precog, Laser Mechanic, grew up on a world with native amphibious aliens
  • Chen "Tiger" Zirboth Shooter, Traitor maker, Gunner, grew up as a urban parkor kid (or so his flavor skills tell me. I don't remember what the intent was)
You can of course mix and match their pieces, overwrite them, and so on. Daymar is already a Traitor Maker and I think Hua is based on the infiltrator template, but I think the combinations make them unique enough. Also, I posted the premade psi packages in post #20

I hope you find that helpful

Old 11-24-2020, 10:28 PM   #139
Hide

PACIFICA DEL ÇID (380)
Spoiler:  
BACKGROUND

Spoiler:  

Last edited by Hide; 12-09-2020 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #140
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I think we're almost done with Pacifica.

please add -10% power modifiers to each of her psi abilities, named either ESP or Ergokinesis.

May I suggest buying alternate abilities with the extra points: they're quite keep and can add a lot of utility.

I'll let the talent add to IQ-based stealth, but it won't work for normal stealth. You'll want to take that separately.