Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Disadvantages List: Cinematic vs Realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
That's a different issue. However, the occasional nature of the trait seems to represent a disorder that kicks in as a fit of sorts, not a consistent reduction of coordination. There are lots of ways an organism can be screwed up. Surely at least one of them has results similar enough to the trait for an in-game write-up?
From a literal reading of the rules, I agree. The tone seem more indicative of comedic pratfalls.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #12
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Slave Mentality isn't inappropriate for PCs because it is cinematic. It is inappropriate because people rarely want to play someone who has surrendered all agency.
But where would you classify it within the framework used in the op?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
But where would you classify it within the framework used in the op?
Realistic. People can be broken and surrender all agency. Maybe it is a Delusion, but it has the same mechanical effect as Slave Mentality.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #14
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
From a literal reading of the rules, I agree. The tone seem more indicative of comedic pratfalls.
Overall, but at the end it clarifies that it is not limited to such a thing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.B141
This trait might seem silly, but it need not be. Most realistic TL7-8 robots have this disadvantage!
Getting back to the main topic, is this list supposed to classify the generic version of the trait or consider possible variations? Obviously you can make just about anything Supernatural or Exotic if you want, so to be clear I am asking are we just looking at if a Disadvantage can be used to represent something realistic even if normally it might be Cinematic, Supernatural or Exotic?

I guess I am wondering if there needs to be a slight refinement with a "Mundane Under Rare/Extenuating Circumstance" grouping as well. I mean, I've met people that just don't seem to float. I've read various explanations but can't find anything concrete, but there may be a combination of physical factors as well as difficulty in relaxing while in water can all contribute... so it seems like a potentially realistic Quirk to me.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 08-24-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #15
Captain Joy

Colorblindness
Quote:
Gurps colorblindness is exceptionally rare. Most real colorblind people have the quirk form of dichromatic or distorted color vision.
This is something probably worth stating in a caveat. Thanks, Flyndaran.

Timesickness
Quote:
Time sickness isn't realistic as time travel itself isn't.
Timesickness includes "time travel, dimension travel, and teleportation" (p. B158). As all of these would be considered super-science, I'm moving Timesickness to the Cinematic list.

Thanks again, Flyndaran.

Total Clutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by B141
…any failure on a DX roll or DX-based skill roll is considered a critical failure for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
…is this list supposed to classify the generic version of the trait or consider possible variations? Obviously you can make just about anything Supernatural or Exotic if you want, so to be clear I am asking are we just looking at if a Disadvantage can be used to represent something realistic even if normally it might be Cinematic, Supernatural or Exotic?
My intent is to provide filtering options that will suit most GMs most of the time. Obviously, the conscientious GM will give their list a once over before showing it to their players. E.g. If the setting calls for otherwise normal PCs whose every DX related endeavor never results in ordinary failure, but only success or disaster, then they should move Total Klutz to the Mundane list.

IMHO, Total Klutz is the cinematic/silly extreme of Klutz, which is mundane. As it is, vicky_molokh has convinced me to add a caveat that Total Klutz could be considered a mundane part of a larger disorder.

Slave Mentality
Quote:
Realistic. People can be broken and surrender all agency. Maybe it is a Delusion, but it has the same mechanical effect as Slave Mentality.
While "Cinematic" is the heading, descriptive text underneath adds that the disadvantages may simply be "inappropriate for most mundane PCs and/or campaigns". I'm assuming that most GMs who want to give their players a filtered list of only mundane, non-exotic, non-supernatural disadvantages will not miss Slave Mentality.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 08-24-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #16
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Hmm... I dunno. The text description seems extreme to me. A lesser version might seem more plausible.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aids, cinematic, disadvantages, question, realistic