Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-29-2021, 04:59 AM   #1
ArchSinccubus

Default Adding damage types using Equipment Modifiers

Hi! I'm new to GURPS, and so far I'm loving the system. It's diverse, expandable, and honestly my jam. But, I've come to an issue with something I want to do with a character concept of mind, and I'd appreciate some help:

I have a character who has Multimillionaire 3 (which in case anyone asks, yes the GM approved of), and I want to get her a rapier that can also deal burning damage. The idea is to get a normal TL4 Rapier (the TL of the setting) and using any modifiers available make it the best it can be (I'm allowed to use content from higher TLs in this case thanks to the setting, but I digress).

The question is, how does one go about taking an equipment weapon, and adding more damage types to it? I could go about it using the Natural Weapon Advantage from Pyramid 65, but I want to conserve on CP for this project, and since Money is no issue for this character, it's not a bother for me either. If anyone knows how to go about it, I'd appreciate the help! Thanks in advance.
ArchSinccubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:12 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Adding damage types using Equipment Modifiers

Glad you like GURPS.

Well, with magic it's easy. There's a Flaming Weapon enchantment in Magic and I can dig out the cost if that's the way you want to go. Without magic...

The only thing I can think is to have a fuel reservoir at the base and pump it to flow over the blade, then using a flintlock mechanism to set fire to it. Would it work in real life? Almost certainly not, but it's good enough for a cinematic setting.

So... looking at Fantasy-Tech 2, we find that adding a reservoir for poisons costs +9 CF (do you know how CFs work? - they're not in the Basic Set, they're one of those bright ideas they came up with after that book was out). This allows you four doses of "venom" (fuel in this case), so it will burn for four rounds after which you'll have to buy some more whale oil. This is not a vegan construction at TL 4. This adds 1d burning damage to the weapons damage, but it's not Follow-Up so it, too, will have to penetrate armor.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:28 AM   #3
ArchSinccubus

I'm actually using GCS for the sheet, so most of the CF calculations are pre-made for me, which I'll admit is extremely handy. On top of that... I'll look into the sources you mentioned! Thank you very very much :)
Old 01-29-2021, 07:03 AM   #4
Stormcrow

If magic is a thing in the setting, the Flaming Weapon spell is clearly the way to go, as Anders said.

If flaming weapons are a thing in the setting, can your character buy one?

If it's technology that's possible in the setting but can't be bought because it doesn't exist, can she invent it? Or hire an inventor to do so? See the "New Inventions" rules on page 473 of the Basic Set.

There are also "weapon imbuements" in GURPS Power-Ups 1: Imbuements. Here's the promotional copy: "Ever wanted your character to pick up a sword – any sword – and make it a 'flaming sword'?"
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:17 AM   #5
Varyon

If money is no issue, and Pyramid articles are on the table, consider Metatronic Generators, from Pyramid #3/46, which basically lets you purchase a Gadget-based Advantage with money instead of character points. So you could build an Advantage using the rules from Natural Weapons (or Innate Attacks, or whatever) and convert this into a monetary cost instead. You could instead use it with the rules for Imbuements, although in this case you'd want to use Sorcery's approach of essentially converting the skill into an Advantage (and then converting that Advantage into a monetary cost, as above).
Old 01-29-2021, 09:30 AM   #6
ArchSinccubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
If money is no issue, and Pyramid articles are on the table, consider Metatronic Generators, from Pyramid #3/46, which basically lets you purchase a Gadget-based Advantage with money instead of character points. So you could build an Advantage using the rules from Natural Weapons (or Innate Attacks, or whatever) and convert this into a monetary cost instead. You could instead use it with the rules for Imbuements, although in this case you'd want to use Sorcery's approach of essentially converting the skill into an Advantage (and then converting that Advantage into a monetary cost, as above).
Actually, on the advice of my GM, this is exactly what I used! It ended up working like a charm, thank you very much!