Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 05-17-2021, 02:04 PM   #1
CalDW

Default One shots in Automatic Defeat scenarios?

My friends and I were playing the TMNT version of munchkins and we hit a strange scenario.

I looked for trouble against Karai. Karai states "+4 unless a player in combat has Shredder's Helmet or Shredder's Claw equipped, in which case she is automatically defeated"

So I had Shredder's Helmet and automayically defeated her, my friend however tried to play the Technodrome Blast card which is a one shot that states "Use during any combat. The player(s) in this combat automatically lose and must try to Run Away from all the monsters. Usable only once." Her bad stuff is death so he was trying to force me to have to run from it.

So my main question here is

1. Can a one shot like this be played during a combat if the monster automatically gets defeated anyway?
2. If they can be played, then what takes priority, the automatic defeat of the monster or the automatic lose against the monster"
CalDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:55 PM   #2
Brf

Default Re: One shots in Automatic Defeat scenarios?

If you automatically kill all of the monsters, then combat is over. There are no monsters to run from, so the one-shot in question could not be played.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:02 PM   #3
Mr_Draco

This question is covered in the FAQ. https://munchkin.game/gameplay/faq/

Quote:
Q. Some cards say they automatically kill a certain type of Monster (like the Potion of Halitosis and the Floating Nose, or the Churninator and Level 1 monsters). Can anyone interfere with this? Can anyone play a Wandering Monster?
A. As of July 2018, removing the final monster from a combat ends the combat immediately.
And again to iterate that other players can't play cards if the last monster is auto killed.

Quote:
Q. I used an ability to automatically kill a monster. Another player used Wandering Monster to add a monster to the fight, and then played Transferral Potion to move the monster to himself. He beat it. Who gets the level and Treasures for the monster I killed?
A. As of July 2018, if you automatically killed the only monster, combat ended and this whole sequence can't happen.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:20 AM   #4
CalDW

Thanks for the clarification! :)
CalDW is offline   Reply With Quote