Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin Collectible Card Game

Old 12-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #1
whitecloud197

Default Confused about "Checking for Cheating"

Attempted to play my first game today but i'm confused about something with the checking for cheating aspect of the game.

Player one puts down a face down monster, and beside it the allotted gold for hiring the monster to attack.

From my understanding, Player 2 needs to ZAP a card he wants to declare as a defender, THEN we find out if Player 1 is Cheating ? If he is, he takes a point of damage and the monster goes to the Stash. If hes not cheating the attack proceeds?

What about if the defender has no defenders? how does the check for cheating apply ? because the defender just says "Ok I have no defenders, lets see if you lied?"
whitecloud197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:02 AM   #2
Majobasil

Default Re: Confused about "Checking for Cheating"

You are correct. There’s a risk/reward dynamic happening. Defender has to make the decision to commit to the fight and possibly waste a defender if the attacker was cheating, or commit nothing and possibly take an unmitigated bash in the face by the full force of a monster. Also there are certain other cards and effects that refer to the check for cheating phase.
Majobasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:11 AM   #3
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud197 View Post
Player one puts down a face down monster, and beside it the allotted gold for hiring the monster to attack.
Player one could put down any card, of course if it isn't a monster then it triggers cheating. Also the same with Gold, Player one can commit any amount. This is where the bluffing comes in.
Quote:
From my understanding, Player 2 needs to ZAP a card he wants to declare as a defender, THEN we find out if Player 1 is Cheating ? If he is, he takes a point of damage and the monster goes to the Stash. If hes not cheating the attack proceeds?
If Player one was cheating, whatever card he played goes to the stash AND the Gold returns to the purse.
PLUS Player one takes the point of damage.
Quote:
What about if the defender has no defenders? how does the check for cheating apply ? because the defender just says "Ok I have no defenders, lets see if you lied?"
YUP. Player one might still have cheated even if they knew the opponent could not defend. Some card effects look for "cheating" and Player one may wish to trigger that.

There is a comprehensive rules document at...
https://munchkinccg.game/gameplay/rules/
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:08 AM   #4
ComposognaTum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
Player one could put down any card, of course if it isn't a monster then it triggers cheating. Also the same with Gold, Player one can commit any amount. This is where the bluffing comes in.

If Player one was cheating, whatever card he played goes to the stash AND the Gold returns to the purse.
PLUS Player one takes the point of damage.

YUP. Player one might still have cheated even if they knew the opponent could not defend. Some card effects look for "cheating" and Player one may wish to trigger that.

There is a comprehensive rules document at...
https://munchkinccg.game/gameplay/rules/
Thank you for the link to the guide!Because of my inattention, I searched for a long time.
ComposognaTum is offline   Reply With Quote