Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-30-2021, 02:43 PM   #1
Bill_in_IN

Default New Old Timer Here

I'm looking forward to sharing info about TFT. I played it all through the 80's and into the 90's. I was fairly decent at Game Mastering TFT.

It's been a long time and I'm very rusty. My friend had all of our info and it disappeared during a nasty divorce. So, I'm starting from scratch but plan to purchase the Legacy Edition. If that doesn't kick start me, nothing will.

My son has expressed interest as well as some now former coworkers. They are former because, I retired yesterday and now have time for gaming again.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:15 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: New Old Timer Here

Welcome! You will be delighted with the Legacy Edition materials. The basic game play is essentially indistinguishable from what you know from your past experiences. Don't pay too much attention to the debates here and on other forums re. changes in experience, staff spells, etc.; it is generally way over blown nit picking by a few committed fans. Bottom line is that the game feels the same as it ever did. The important new developments are:
- much better and more extensive physical components (maps, MH tiles, counters, etc.)
- a whole ecosystem of card-based components, many of which are excellent. Decks of Destiny, the character cards from Gaming Ballistic, the outdoor and labyrinth encounter cards are some stand outs.
- a big set of high quality modules, including a half dozen solos.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:37 PM   #3
Shostak

Everything Lars said is spot-on, Bill.

You might also consider the Hexagram fanzine collection an almost essential part of the Legacy Edition; there is some fantastic material in those pages by folks who love and want to share their enthusiasm for the game. I’ll also highly commend Gaming Ballistic’s Character Collection cards as being super useful to any TFT GM. And if you are ever in need of exotic monsters, feel free to port some over from my corner of Cidri.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:40 PM   #4
Bill_in_IN

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. I may be able to drum up more interest among local gamers as well if I get my proficiency back up on the system. I used to have most of the rules practically memorized.

Later on, we were into large scale battles as opposed to campaigns. I had to incorporate stuff from other game systems. Example: GURPS had a cool castle layout. It took some time to prepare but I set up a castle siege that the guys still talk about.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:44 PM   #5
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Everything Lars said is spot-on, Bill.

You might also consider the Hexagram fanzine collection an almost essential part of the Legacy Edition; there is some fantastic material in those pages by folks who love and want to share their enthusiasm for the game. I’ll also highly commend Gaming Ballistic’s Character Collection cards as being super useful to any TFT GM. And if you are ever in need of exotic monsters, feel free to port some over from my corner of Cidri.
I used to incorporate much from other game systems. I had a good way of converting D&D characters and modules for TFT gameplay. It went out of print in the early 80's and we were still playing it well into the 90's.

A good friend of mine, God rest his soul, was into Centaurs. He had 4 squads of 10 with a few higher ranking ones. It was challenging to keep him challenged with all of those fast moving light tanks moving across the board.
Old 12-30-2021, 08:09 PM   #6
hcobb

I've got a few notes for D&D conversions here:

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/SRD_TFT.html (Which links off to my online character builder, or you can use the app here https://thefantasytrip.game/news/201...er-a-free-app/ )

The new Melee is still a free download http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG30-3452

There are Discord and Facebook groups and we often play on Roll20, but Table Top Simulator has some support.
Old 12-30-2021, 08:29 PM   #7
Bill_in_IN

Thanks for the links.

I never heard of DISCORD. I deleted my Farcebook account.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:30 PM   #8
Steve Plambeck

Welcome Bill! Congrats on retirement. We share the same background -- I played from the beginning to the end of the 90's non-stop. And in Illinois, only one state away from you!

Read the new ITL and you'll find it's very much the same, and better in many ways. Why just having an Index is a big improvement - LOL.

All good people here too. Yeah, we nit-pick, but we have a lot of fun doing it! You'll find tons of interesting stuff in the past discussions, and new ones all the time. Enjoy!
Old 12-31-2021, 08:56 AM   #9
Axly Suregrip

Hi Bill,
Welcome aboard!

Isn't great finding TFT has risen like a phoenix?

Enjoy.
Axly Suregrip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:12 AM   #10
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
Hi Bill,
Welcome aboard!

Isn't great finding TFT has risen like a phoenix?

Enjoy.
Yes. I find it kind of exciting and I have sparked a little interest in it via my descriptions of it. My son, via playing this game, will, at least, know why dungeon crawling computer games like Diablo appealed to me.

You know. Back in the day, TFT had a small but extremely loyal following. We lost some players to the fact that D&D was much more pervasive and in the 90's, Warhammer filled in a huge gap for many. I thought that GURPS would take hold as a TFT 2.0 but that didn't happen for me or my friends.

Originally, the D&D loyalists dismissed TFT as a basic hack and maul game system with no room for story lines or campaigns which was a huge mischaracterization. They also hated the fact that players could generate and play with non-human characters. Our group played characters that were Humans, Elves, dwarves, Giants, Orcs, Reptile Men, Centaurs, and a few others that I can't remember. You could play these character types provided that you didn't mind living with their advantages and disadvantaged. A friend of mine was a small fellow who was really lucky with the dice. Yes, he liked playing giant characters. LOL!

Last edited by Bill_in_IN; 12-31-2021 at 09:24 AM.