Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #21
DanHoward

Default Re: [Low Tech]Cost of armour and TL

It is basically the Short Spines advantage (p. B88) with a few minor changes.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #22
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Most copper alloys are corrosion resistant.
Well, they do have an issue of turning green...
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:46 AM   #23
Agramer

Thanks for answers.

Maybe to clarify a little:

I wanted to have "Empires" Legion and arm it as Romans of TL2(Lorica segmentata,shield,gladius,pillum,javelins) and mix mages in(though for now I think Ill set enchantment costs at *10;to avoid general hassle with magic items and their overall availability).

I want to have Feudal Nobility(poorer ones will have equip as crusaders,medium wealth would have half plates,really rich would have full plates).

Also I wanted to classify Legionare with Lorica Segmentata as Good equip quality.

Hence ,why Im asking for some reasonable basis for scalling costs across TL of equipment.

Id like to avoid setting Dwarves as TL+1,and that all humans import Full Plates from them...though if there is no reasonable explenation for sliding costs of equip. Ill have to do just that(thanks for idea).

Great community...give it a try :)
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #24
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agramer View Post
Hence ,why Im asking for some reasonable basis for scalling costs across TL of equipment.
I wouldn't be surprised if the costs of obsolete equipment actually went up in many cases.

For instance, given the differences between regular mail and butted mail, it seems that the cost of mail is almost entirely labor costs, not material costs. Labor generally gets more expensive with TL. For the cost of mail to remain the same you'd need to either increase production efficiency or have it made by cheaper workers.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #25
Agramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the costs of obsolete equipment actually went up in many cases.
Well idea is that TL2 armours are standard,widespread,TL3 armours are rare and more expensive and TL4 Full articulated plate is extremly rare and expensive.

Though ,question is:What scaling in prices would seem reasonable?

Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #26
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Well idea is that TL2 armours are standard,widespread,TL3 armours are rare and more expensive and TL4 Full articulated plate is extremly rare and expensive.

Though ,question is:What scaling in prices would seem reasonable?
And the question is, are you trying to make up a scaling in price that will justify this, or are you hoping for it to be justified by realistic considerations?

Because the latter may simply not work out for you. And if you're trying to ask the former, you probably need to be clear on that.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #27
Agramer

Quote:
And the question is, are you trying to make up a scaling in price that will justify this, or are you hoping for it to be justified by realistic considerations?

Because the latter may simply not work out for you. And if you're trying to ask the former, you probably need to be clear on that.
Im looking for most plausible compromise.If thats not possible to somewhat realistic extent Ill just give Dwarves(or like) TL+1 metallurgy and hand waive rest.

Though Im interested even in "Artificial" scaling of prices(since higher TL armours are more efficient weight wise).

Maybe solution in end will be to set TL2/3 as norm,with TL2 stuff cheaper(to minimise difference of TL)...as said..Im just looking for most believable option(or barring that most believable compromise).

Old 11-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #28
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Maybe solution in end will be to set TL2/3 as norm,with TL2 stuff cheaper(to minimise difference of TL)...as said..Im just looking for most believable option(or barring that most believable compromise).
I'd note that there's basically no TL3 armor in Low Tech at all. You get Mail and Plates, which seems to have been used mostly outside of Europe, and Jousting Mail which isn't really field armor. And banded mail, but that's the end of it.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #29
Agramer

Quote:
I'd note that there's basically no TL3 armor in Low Tech at all. You get Mail and Plates, which seems to have been used mostly outside of Europe, and Jousting Mail which isn't really field armor. And banded mail, but that's the end of it.
Yes,but difference in weight for same DR (heavy segmented armour vs mail and plates) is 50%...and thats clearly superiour.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #30
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Yes,but difference in weight for same DR (heavy segmented armour vs mail and plates) is 50%...and thats clearly superiour.
True, though mail and plates probably is not eligible for the Heavy Plate treatment. And it only has DR4 vs crushing, but it's still lighter than DR4 segmented plate.

However, if you're going for the central/western Europe medley typical of 'generic fantasy', it seems as if mail and plates wouldn't turn up.

Tags
armor, low-tech