Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Labrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
I kind of doubt that the illuminations I have seen showing mounted and armored men brandishing double-bitted axes was referencing the Revolt of the Woodcutters in 1187.
I apply the same sort of "grain of salt" filter to medieval art that I apply to modern action movies. Someday in the far future someone is going to be arguing that the Desert Eagle was a common police sidearm based on the "evidence" of the Governor of California's early career.

People in the visual arts sometimes choose things just because they look kewl. Double-headed axes, improbably large falchions, BFGs, etc.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
hari

I know absolutely nothing about these things, but isn't it possible that added weight at the end of the shaft might slightly increase the impact of the blade that is being used? If so, I would doubt that it would be worthwhile, but isn't it possible? I mean, Gurkha Kukri's are bladed weapons heavily weighted at the end in order to do more damage. They were stated generously in GURPS, were they not? Again, this is all merely uninformed guesswork.

“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world”
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari View Post
I know absolutely nothing about these things, but isn't it possible that added weight at the end of the shaft might slightly increase the impact of the blade that is being used?
A double-bitted axe doesn't weight any more than a regular one. I suspect damage to axe blades may be more common than GURPS gives credit for, however.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:08 PM   #14
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I'll note that Wikipedia cites a paper which was written in 1953 (so it's way, way behind current scholarship) and by Marija Gimbutas, whose work should be taken with a pillar of salt.
Moreso given that her work since 1953 has leaned heavily toward the cult symbol side, interpreting the double axe as a symbol derived from the butterfly. I think fairly convincingly myself - the double axes that actually have versions of insect winged goddess etched on them seem to be about as conclusive a proof of the linkage as you could reasonably expect.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #15
hari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
A double-bitted axe doesn't weight any more than a regular one. I suspect damage to axe blades may be more common than GURPS gives credit for, however.
So... you're saying that one big sharp metal thing hanging off the end of a stick doesn't weigh more than two big sharp metal things hanging off the end of a stick then?

I'm sorry. It might just be me, but I'm somehow confused...

Old 10-31-2010, 10:18 PM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari View Post
So... you're saying that one big sharp metal thing hanging off the end of a stick doesn't weigh more than two big sharp metal things hanging off the end of a stick then?
Yes. A single-bitted axe (wood axe at least) has a thick and heavy back-side, which is missing on the double-bitted axe. In any case, the weight of an axe-head is basically whatever you want it to weigh, the minimum weight for an axe isn't very large.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:26 PM   #17
hari

Quote:
Yes. A single-bitted axe (wood axe at least) has a thick and heavy back-side, which is missing on the double-bitted axe. In any case, the weight of an axe-head is basically whatever you want it to weigh, the minimum weight for an axe isn't very large.
Fair enough. That sounds reasonable to me. As I said, I don't really know what I'm talking about. Thanks for setting me right.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:40 PM   #18
RyanW

Quote:
In fact, I have one in my shed. Of course, the reason for using them on wood is because it lets you go twice as long before resharpening your axe, not because of any specific benefit of having two heads for any given strike.
Also, it gives you two blades that can have different handling. As you don't normally need to cut your foes up to make furniture out of them, you don't usually need this feature in a combat axe.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:57 PM   #19
DanHoward

Quote:
Yes. A single-bitted axe (wood axe at least) has a thick and heavy back-side, which is missing on the double-bitted axe.
Axes designed for combat are very thin while wood axes are more wedge-shaped. You couldn't add a second bit to a combat axe without using more metal and thus increasing its weight.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #20
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Axes designed for combat are very thin while wood axes are more wedge-shaped. You couldn't add a second bit to a combat axe without using more metal and thus increasing its weight.
While that extra weight could certainly increase Min ST (and possibly upset the weapon's balance) would it be sufficient to add +1 damage, considering the granularity of GURPS?
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low-tech