Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
Jamaraq

Default Re: GURPS Fantasy-Tech 1: The Edge of Reality

Interesting indeed!
I'll be looking into this.
Jamaraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I'm not sure how to approach the question without knowing far more than I do about your setting. Most of the stuff in it is lower than TL 4+2 (a couple ornithopters excepted).
What about the Alchemy rules? Are they a significant expansion of Alchemy as technology?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #13
Dinadon

I have but one question:

Weapon Master(Zweihander) plus Two-Handed Parries from Martial Arts, should the multiple parry progression go;
a) 0, 0 , -1, -1, etc.
b) 0, -1, -1, etc.
or c) something else.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #14
Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
How useful is it for my TL4+2, New Weird setting? If it is useful will I need to seriously rework the technology in the setting already to fit it?
For $8, it's likely worth it to you. It's got TL 4^ and TL4+x stuff. And as Ulzgoroth points out, there's earlier stuff that can be developed into something more advanced at a higher TL. If the Leonardo Battery was good at TL 4+1, imagine what it can do at 4+2.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #15
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
What about the Alchemy rules? Are they a significant expansion of Alchemy as technology?
There's most of two pages which, at a skim, look quite interesting. They aren't about 'alchemy as a technology', as such. I think they're about alchemy as historically practiced except actually working to produce results real chemistry disagrees with. It's TL3^, which is why I didn't mention them.

There's 3 elixers, a hierarchy for transmutation of metals, kit and reagents, and the mechanism for using them.

If your alchemy isn't medieval-looking, or is industrialized, you'd at least have to do some work on it.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #16
Edges

Quote:
There's a page on Alchemy. It's got a new piece of crunch, "Refinement." It's nice but not extensive.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #17
Dinadon

Quote:
Not really, it spends a page and a half talking about a new speciality Alchemy(Mundane) that works like historical alchemy. Alchemy as technology would be covered by Alchemy(Magical).
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #18
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
And if it's popular, you might just see more GURPS Fantasy-Tech volumes . . .
Fiend! Now I have to convince all my friends to buy it... brilliant.

Edit: hm, that said, and name apart there seems to be a lot of weird tech or alternate tech, rather than proper "fantasy" (as in the genre, such as GURPS Fantasy)... and of that, we have DF series. So I'll postpone this one...

Last edited by Gudiomen; 07-29-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #19
ehrbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
It says that Aluminum wasn't used until the 19th century. I seem to remember reading somewhere that aluminum was very rare but not unheard of in the pre-modern era.
By Brady's Materials Handbook, it was discovered in 1727. Other sources place it later, with isolation not happening until the 19th Century.

Quote:
It was more precious than platinum and even some king or emperor had some in his crown. An Austrian emperor maybe?
Napoleon III's crown jewels were apparently displayed or stored alongside bars of pure aluminum; there are also claims that a special set of aluminum flatware was used to honor guests at his table above the gold that other guests used. The Washington Monument was capped with aluminum when it was still expensive. Reasonably cheap production of aluminum (through electrolytic refining) didn't happen until 1885.

GURPS Technomancer resources. Including The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata, last updated July 7th, 2023.
ehrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #20
lexington

Quote:
It also says that transparent aluminum is fictional. See ALON for a non-fictional "transparent aluminum." While it doesn't bend like pure aluminum, it's strong enough be a whale tank. And soft x-rays can make ordinary aluminum transparent over small time intervals.
I think the argument would be that those are ceramic, not really just aluminum that's transparent.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech