Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 06-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #11
EvilGeniusPrime

Default Re: Anyone around?

Awesome! Have you checked out Liber Neglecta, Lady Kris?
EvilGeniusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #12
tHEhERETIC

I'm still here. Creative lull makes me less responsive than I'd like to be on my PbP, but I am still here.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #13
Azel

I still exist!

But have been playing other systems lately. I've come to realize that my In Nomine ideals tend to work best when I cultivate my players to a certain threshold of competence. When they are having trouble managing foundational principles in generic fantasy game #5, such as killing the mayor in town doesn't thus make you the mayor-overlord but instead calls upon the law to put you down, you realize you gotta go teach the basics again.

Actions have consequences! The fictional world is somehow coherent, you should also! The world survived before your character -- it will likely survive after your character, too! Hooked on phonics worked for me!

Clue bat beatings for everyone! Yay! :)
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #14
EvilGeniusPrime

It's nice to see that there's still a few of us still kicking around. 😀
Old 06-18-2017, 04:25 AM   #15
johndallman
Night Watchman

Still here. My gaming group aren't especially keen on the idea of IN, but a few things lifted from it show up in my GURPS campaign.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #16
EvilGeniusPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Still here. My gaming group aren't especially keen on the idea of IN, but a few things lifted from it show up in my GURPS campaign.
Yeah. My group is hesitant. They're Christian, and one guy is claiming the game is borderline blasphemous. Meh. I'm an atheist. It's just mythology to me. I'm still working on them though.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGeniusPrime View Post
Yeah. My group is hesitant. They're Christian, and one guy is claiming the game is borderline blasphemous. Meh. I'm an atheist. It's just mythology to me. I'm still working on them though.
I've had trouble with getting pagans to play for similar reasons. I don't think the game sits well with people who actually believe any of it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:26 AM   #18
rknop

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGeniusPrime View Post
As a Christian myself, I like In Nomine... and it's all just mythology to me.

(Mythology is powerful, and has had a huge effect on human society over the centuries. A decent amount of what's in the Bible is mythology. It's more interesting and meaningful if you realize that in reading it.)

If the putative Christian players are of the Biblical literalist sort of Christian, or if they really believe in angels as individuals rather than as metaphors, then I would guess In Nomine will never sit well with them. If they push closer to Unitarianism (which is probably like me), they're all good. If they're somewhere in between, just avoid anything specifically having to do with Jesus, keep God at the remove he's at in Canon, and honestly there's really not that much in the game that is really all that dangerous.

Of course, if you love moral quandries and big metacosmological questions, there's also Planescape (which I've run in the past using both GURPS and Fudge). That one is explicitly fiction from the get-go. Heck, it's even from the Baatezu and Tanar'ri era of D&D. (They have a pretty cool in-game retcon justification for those names, by the way.)
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:42 AM   #19
Cooper

Sorry for not posting sooner - I was distracted by Camp Tipsy and then SF Pride events.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:41 PM   #20
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I've had trouble with getting pagans to play for similar reasons. I don't think the game sits well with people who actually believe any of it.
You might be surprised. My old group included two Catholics, a Protestant, a Norse pagan, and a couple of players who were either atheist or agnostic. We all had a pretty good time.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta