Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 02:21 PM   #1
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default GURPS Martial Arts - Call for Experts

I originally posted this in another thread, but I am re-posting it so it will be obvious to all.

I actually could more information on a couple of styles. I cannot promise much besides a chance to review some of my material ahead of time; I'm certainly not offering free books or additional material credit. In all likelihood you'll just get bombarded with questions when I have a free moment.

The styles I currently need to get in touch with someone with first-hand knowledge of are:

I am not currently looking for any style experts. I've got the styles I needed help on covered. Thanks!

I have everything else covered at this point.

Also, GURPS Martial Arts is covering all fighting arts from around the world, so if you are an expert in an unusual style missed by previous editions of GURPS Martial Arts I may be able to use your knowledge.

I would prefer instructors or high-ranking students over beginners. People who can seperate fact from heresay or legend are critical - I don't want "My sensei said his sensei could break rocks with his mind, so everyone with my style should have that." I also don't want random website recommendations, heresay, and hyperbole. Gamers are preferred, just because it's easier to explain what I want, but actual first-hand, in-depth knowledge of the style is more important.

This is not a playtest call or a call for co-contributors. I am looking for a few people to bounce what I have on a given style off of. I want to ensure I'm getting qualified and helpful people. I reserve the right to reject anyone for any reason! Be sure to tell me what style and any pertinent information when you contact me.

You do not need to reply in-thread; A SJG Forums PM is fine.

Thanks,

Peter
Co-author, GURPS Martial Arts
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev

Last edited by Peter V. Dell'Orto; 11-10-2005 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Not looking for style experts at the moment
Old 07-17-2005, 09:50 PM   #2
DanHoward

Default Re: GURPS Martial Arts - Call for Experts

Hey Pete,

Just curious, have you seen this
http://home.stny.rr.com/iama/az.html

It is the most comprehensive list I have seen. It might contain some styles that you have overlooked.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:09 AM   #3
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward
Just curious, have you seen this
No. It might be useful, although because it doesn't quote sources I am not comfortable using it as a source in turn. It seems cobbled together from lots of different places, and ranging from very complete descriptions to wholly inadequate ones. Still, it might prove helpful.
My S&C Blog
Old 07-20-2005, 06:54 AM   #4
Dahomi
D ...er... GM

http://www.chinavoc.com/kungfu/cbox_catalog.asp

http://www.shaolin.com

Might be helpful to ask here someone.

Just curious I miss Capoeira this brazlian dancing fighting mix invented by slaves. The book will cover it?
Old 07-23-2005, 03:00 AM   #5
lugaid

Capoeira was covered in the first two editions of Martial Arts (for GURPS 3rd edition), so i'd be surprised if Mr. Dell'Orto neglected it. :)
Old 10-03-2005, 09:53 AM   #6
OldSam

>taijutsu

I am intensely practising Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu for over 2 years now, read a lot of books and went to several seminars with very good teachers from different countries, so maybe I can help you with a few questions related to this art.

Perhaps you already know this but here I wrote some quick notes about it:

The term "taijutsu" in general means "Body Art" or "Body Method".
So it does not automatically mean fighting, because your taijutsu enfolds every movement of your body, may it be serving a meal or jumping from a tree.

Taijutsu is the unarmed combat in Ninjutsu (in the past Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu was called Ninpo Budo Taijutsu).
Taijutsu is divided into four parts:
- Taihenjutsu: Rolls, leaps and evasions
- Dakentaijutsu: Strikes, kicks and blocks (attacks to bones and vital parts)
- Jutaijutsu: Grappling, throwing and limb control
- Junan Taiso: Body flexibility

Budo Taijutsu connects your taijutsu with different weapons like Katana (Kenjutsu) or Bo-Staff (Bojutsu) so that you are able to combine them with your body-weapons (body and weapon are one) and can easily adapt to other (new) weapons.
Everybody has an own body and an own taijutsu, so the same technique always looks different if it is shown by another teacher and/or with different training partners. This shows the dynamic character of Budo Taijutsu in comparison to more static forms like Karate etc.

Feel free to ask me more... ;-)

greetz
OldSam

Last edited by OldSam; 10-03-2005 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:03 AM   #7
DavidDun

Hi, guys.
Reading about the description of JKD, it's kind of funny.
Jeet Kune Do isn't a style, but a concept. A way of training.
Just like the way Valu Tudo style is.
By mixing those style you are interesting in, a new style is created.
The basics is to combine those styles which has fluid movement, those styles which doesn't have forms, since forms are restricting the techinics.
I guess you already know that, Peter, since you have trained most of the styles yourself.

Last edited by DavidDun; 10-07-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:53 PM   #8
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDun
Hi, guys.
Reading about the description of JKD, it's kind of funny.
Jeet Kune Do isn't a style, but a concept. A way of training.
Just like the way Valu Tudo style is.
By mixing those style you are interesting in, a new style is created.
The basics is to combine those styles which has fluid movement, those styles which doesn't have forms, since forms are restricting the techinics.
I guess you already know that, Peter, since you have trained most of the styles yourself.
At the same time, there is the distinct style of Jun Fan Qung Fu (your transliterations may vary) which is at the core of a lot of JKD training. As well, JKD as it is taught by a number of respectable schools has some distinct drills and training techniques. All though a lot of Jun Fan/JKD techniques are derived from other sources, in game terms, it makes a certain amount of sense to package them as a distinct or seperate style. Alternately, I suppose you could just envision JKD as an add-on or version of other styles, but this leads you to create a character with Kali(JKD), Boxing(JKD), Wing Chun(JKD), Jun Fan(JKD), etc. which would sort of miss how integrated JKD training really is.

+++|<=== Lord Carnifex ---
Old 10-07-2005, 06:36 PM   #9
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Folks,

I intended this post to be a sticky/announcement type post, not a big thread on the martial arts. So unless I intend to modify it, I rarely look at it. Please use normal posts to discuss the contents of this thread, the martial arts, GURPS MA4e, etc. or contact me by PM if you have a specific art for which you'd like to volunteer your expertise.

I will reply to many of the concerns raised in the posts here by hijacking Carnifex's thread here.

Please also see these threads - some of the suggestions, concerns, and questions about MA4e are addressed in them:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=9075
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=6426

You can ask again but it's worth checking to see if Kromm or I already mentioned what you're asking about.

Thank you,

Peter
My S&C Blog

Last edited by Peter V. Dell'Orto; 10-17-2005 at 04:31 AM.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:01 AM   #10
tkdguy

I don't know how useful this site is, and it's probably too late. But I just saw this one, and this thread seems like the right place to share it.

Closed Thread