Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 06-01-2014, 02:34 AM   #1
Elberon

Default Fate Accelerated Edition conversion (aka In NomiFAE)

Hi there

I am (very) slowly doing a conversion of In Nomine to Fate Accelerated Edition.

Rather than post things here I have set up a blog for thoughts as I have them. Only got two up at the moment but take a look if you fancy ;-)

http://innomifae.blogspot.co.uk/

Chris
Elberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
Elberon

Default Re: Fate Accelerated Edition conversion (aka In NomiFAE)

Right, four pages are up now including takes on Choir and Band resonances.

Depending on how busy the forum is I'll probably just update this thread.

Chris
Old 06-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberon View Post
Right, four pages are up now including takes on Choir and Band resonances.

Depending on how busy the forum is I'll probably just update this thread.

Chris
Thanks.

And it would probably be a good idea to update this thread anyway. Why make duplicate threads and hide information from people?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberon View Post
Hi there

I am (very) slowly doing a conversion of In Nomine to Fate Accelerated Edition.

Rather than post things here I have set up a blog for thoughts as I have them. Only got two up at the moment but take a look if you fancy ;-)

http://innomifae.blogspot.co.uk/

Chris
Looks interesting! I'll offer some thoughts when I have a little more time to study what's going on (and hit my Fate books) but this is something I've wanted to try for a while. Good on you for getting it underway!

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
PK

It's an interesting take, but I think that it's a mistake to change FAE from 4dF to 3dF for the sole purpose of trying to match the canonical Intervention rules. If you want to use FAE, then use FAE. Don't try dragging mechanics over from one system to the other.

Here's my suggestion: Whenever the dice come up ++++ or ----, roll one extra dF. If you end up with +++++, it's a a Divine Intervention; no FP can be spent to reroll or modifier it! A ----- is similarly an Infernal Intervention. Otherwise, just ignore that fifth die and treat the roll as normal.

The odds remain about the same. The d666 have a 0.46% chance of producing a specific Intervention, while 5dF have a 0.41% chance of coming up all + or all -. And IMO, this is just as flavorful, since it's basically saying, "If you roll (the equivalent of) a critical success or failure, see if powerful forces take it one step beyond!"

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #6
Elberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
It's an interesting take, but I think that it's a mistake to change FAE from 4dF to 3dF for the sole purpose of trying to match the canonical Intervention rules. If you want to use FAE, then use FAE. Don't try dragging mechanics over from one system to the other.

Here's my suggestion: Whenever the dice come up ++++ or ----, roll one extra dF. If you end up with +++++, it's a a Divine Intervention; no FP can be spent to reroll or modifier it! A ----- is similarly an Infernal Intervention. Otherwise, just ignore that fifth die and treat the roll as normal.

The odds remain about the same. The d666 have a 0.46% chance of producing a specific Intervention, while 5dF have a 0.41% chance of coming up all + or all -. And IMO, this is just as flavorful, since it's basically saying, "If you roll (the equivalent of) a critical success or failure, see if powerful forces take it one step beyond!"
Thanks for pointing out the similarities of the odds, I spent ages looking at this and couldn't see it ;-)
3dF means that celestials are more consistent, and the way I am approaching including forces give +1 to important areas of the game
I am also adding in a Dissonance dice where one side has a symbol which acts against you for interventions purposes

Chris
Old 06-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
dataweaver

There are Fate variants that use d6-d6 instead of 4dF; it wouldn’t be much of a stretch to use something like that here. My own favored approach is: you have a Divine Die, an Infernal Die, and a Check Die. Roll all three, and set aside the Check Die for now. Angels add the Divine Die to their Approach and the Infernal Die to their Opposition, and demons reverse this. I’d rule that by default, humans (and corporeal creatures in general) read the dice as per angels while Ethereals read the dice as per demons — but consider reversing this for humans explicitly aligned with Hell or Ethereals explicitly aligned with Heaven.

After comparing the modified Approach to the modified Opposition to determine whether you succeed or fail, use the lower of the difference between the two or your Check Die to determine your margin of success or failure; then use FAE’s four Outcomes as usual. Exception: Interventions still work as described in In Nomine: if all three dice are 1s, you get a Divine Intervention (good for angels; bad for demons); if all three dice are 6s, you get an Infernal Intervention (good for demons; bad for angels).

It’s worth noting that one of the biggest problems with the d6-d6 method in Fate is the increased “swinginess” of the results. In this arrangement, the Check Die mitigates this: not in terms of how likely you are to succeed or fail, but in terms of how extreme the success or failure is.

Possible variations on this:

• Split up the dice between participants: When there’s active opposition, have each side roll one die to add to his or her Approach, and have the GM roll the Check Die. When the opposition is passive, have the player roll one die to add to his or her Approach while the GM rolls both the Check Die and the die to add to the Opposition. You still roll three dice total; but they’re not all rolled by the same person.

• If the Divine/Infernal thing is too confusing, designate one die that will add to your Approach and another that will add to your Opposition. That’s what’s crucial; the Divine/Infernal Dice and which applies to which is merely a flavorful way of deciding which die is supportive and which is obstructive.

• You can cut down on the math involved by comparing the Divine and Infernal dice to each other before adding them in and tossing out the one that’s further from zero. On a tie, toss them both out (but not before checking for Interventions). That is, you add the supportive die to your Approach, or you add the obstructive die to your Opposition, or you don’t do either; depending entirely on which die is lower.

(This sounds messier than it is: I’ve found that in practice, the people who have the most trouble with it are established gamers who have to retrain themselves to use this method; new gamers with no preconceptions about how dice should be rolled pick up on the technique after two or three practice rolls. Note also that this doesn’t affect the probability distribution in any meaningful way: you’ll achive, say, a net +3 in different ways (e.g., Divine 3/Infernal 4, 5, or 6 using this method vs. Divine 4/Infernal 1, Divine 5/Infernal 2, or Divine 6/Infernal 3 using the normal method); but you’ll be exactly as likely to get a +3 using this method as you would be using the method described above.)

• Abandon the Check Die, as well as dice-driven Interventions. Instead, the game always has a pair of Story Aspects representing the stakes that Heaven and Hell have in the overall plot. Interventions are handled by Invoking or Compelling these Story Aspects. Note that this technique is entirely compatible with the traditional 4dF dice, making it the most Fate-like solution in several ways.

Last edited by dataweaver; 06-04-2014 at 07:47 PM.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #8
Jason

The Fate System Toolkit also recommends that you can replicate the odds of using 4dF with 3d6 as long as you're willing to add some dice and memorize some ranges (e.g., 9–12 maps to +0, 13–14 maps to +1, etc.). I'm planning to try this out for a Fate conversation I'll be running with friends, where 1-1-1 and 6-6-6 (normally –4 and +4) still count as interventions.

Personally, though, my big dilemma is whether to just merge Essence and fate points into the same thing. Doing so would simplify a lot, but also raise questions about what refresh should be set at, and whether compels would completely replace Rites...
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:56 PM   #9
Elberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The Fate System Toolkit also recommends that you can replicate the odds of using 4dF with 3d6 as long as you're willing to add some dice and memorize some ranges (e.g., 9–12 maps to +0, 13–14 maps to +1, etc.). I'm planning to try this out for a Fate conversation I'll be running with friends, where 1-1-1 and 6-6-6 (normally –4 and +4) still count as interventions.

Personally, though, my big dilemma is whether to just merge Essence and fate points into the same thing. Doing so would simplify a lot, but also raise questions about what refresh should be set at, and whether compels would completely replace Rites...
I will have to have a look at that 3d6 mapping (and not too hard to put on a character sheet).....
I was planning to merge Essence and Fate points with a Refresh of four (an probably four beginning stunts)

Rites will only 'pay out' once a day (dawn to dawn or dusk to dusk). I like Rites, they are sort of "Compel light" all ready.

Chris

Tags
conversion, fate, house rule, in nomine, meta, rules