Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #31
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Storium - In Nomine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
I'm not sure Litheroy would have any Djinn anyway. >_>
And if he did, we'd all know :)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:26 AM   #32
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
And if he did, we'd all know :)
TRUTH!

/Seraph
Old 11-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #33
cptbutton

There is a thread on Storium about setting up a homebrew In Nomine game there. (You have to be logged into an account to see the thread, however. But basic accounts are free.)

(They get a bit snarky about the wait on the official version, but not too bad.)
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:54 AM   #34
cptbutton

Someone over on the Storium forums wrote:
Quote:
12/15/2016:

In today’s emailed Kickstarter announcement (sorry, I don’t have a link), Protagonist Labs announced:

A few more of our Kickstarter-funded “worlds” will be shipping shortly. First up will likely be one that I know many of you have been waiting for: Steve Jackson Games’ In Nomine.
Don't know more than that.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:25 PM   #35
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Storium is now reporting that its In Nomine world is available!

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:48 AM   #36
cptbutton

It is (login required). Don't have time or mood to evaluate it right now. From a quick read through looks like they are skipping most of the mechanics, didn't see much about resonances, dissonance, etc. Which is likely the best decision for Storium.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:42 AM   #37
robkelk
Untitled

Is there anything new, that isn't in any of the books?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #38
wabishtar

Gotta be honest here, I'm extremely disappointed in Storium In Nomine. There's only about ten cards in each category, no song mechanics of any kind, no dissonance mechanics.... nothing addressing any supernatural powers, and very brief, basic explanation of how the universe actually works. After how much they wanted on Kickstarter, I expected there to be a lot more special features, modifications to the Storium setting to make it work with In Nomine. Not only is it not there, but the background is so brief and vague, you basically still have to buy the book to play.

There's nothing in here a die hard fan couldn't have typed up themselves over a long weekend. This was not worth the wait.
wabishtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:31 PM   #39
gusty737

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabishtar View Post
Gotta be honest here, I'm extremely disappointed in Storium In Nomine. There's only about ten cards in each category, no song mechanics of any kind, no dissonance mechanics.... nothing addressing any supernatural powers, and very brief, basic explanation of how the universe actually works. After how much they wanted on Kickstarter, I expected there to be a lot more special features, modifications to the Storium setting to make it work with In Nomine. Not only is it not there, but the background is so brief and vague, you basically still have to buy the book to play.

There's nothing in here a die hard fan couldn't have typed up themselves over a long weekend. This was not worth the wait.
I sadly must agree, it was basically striped to work with storium and basically been closed down to save both groups from a lawsuit. Without Creative Commons licencing for enabling 3rd party materiel it's basically just a licensing deal between storium and sjgames. I'm extremely upset that i told my brother to wait 6 months when this is all we got. :(
gusty737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #40
wabishtar

It's not even just a poor adaptation. It leaves out essential information that drastically changes the nature of the game. There's no discussion of dissonance, discord, or falling, for example. the various choirs' dissonance restrictions are simply noted as things they cannot do, or things that are against their nature. This leaves the impression that they simply have blind spots, things they are incapable of, like robots. The reality in the original game is that angels can do those things, but it pushes them closer to falling because it is questioning God's creation. This is one of the core dramatic and philosophical conflicts in the game, and the Storium adaptation has reduced it to simply, "You can't do that."

I realize that I can simply explain to my players how this works, but as long as I am using the Storium template for this setting, my players will return to the reference page they created. Given that that page has barely any information of any kind, I would literally be better off starting from scratch than going with what they provided.

I have been a loyal customer of Steve Jackson Games for nearly 20 years now, starting with In Nomine and moving on to GURPS. My main reason for this has been the company's commitment to quality. I purchase GURPS supplements for settings I have no interest in because I know they'll be well written, and even if I don't run they game, they will likely still be a spectacular read. Because of that commitment to quality, I had assumed that they would make sure any adaptation of one of their products, such as In Nomine, would be of the absolute highest quality. With the example of Storium, that has proven to not be the case at all. I am extremely disappointed in this company for allowing one of their best and most creative games to be given such a shoddy adaptation.
wabishtar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta, storium