Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 07-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Real World Name Origins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
Yves is a transliteration of the Hebrew actual name of God
In French, Yves literally means "yew," though one could take that as referring to the Tree of Life. :) (I'd never caught the semi-Hebrew pun, though; clever!)
Quote:
Elohim is the Hebrew common usage word for God (which makes playing In Nomine with Hebrew speakers really, really complicated)
It's also used in the Old Testament to refer to angels. (Psalm 8:5 "For thou hast made him (man) a little lower than the angels" uses elohim for the last word.) The word in general has connotations of strong ones or mighty ones, which is probably why it was used for a Choir also known as the Powers.

Quote:
Djinn is an arabic elemental demon (I think.. I know it's Arabic, I know it's a spirit, but I don't remember if it is an elemental and/or a demon)
In the Qu'ran, the djinn are a non-angelic spirit made of "smokeless fire." The word means hidden or concealed.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post

In the Qu'ran, the djinn are a non-angelic spirit made of "smokeless fire." The word means hidden or concealed.
Although there is a major strain of Islamic folklore which identifies them as angels who refused to take sides in the Rebellion. They were cast out of Heaven for not serving God, but not bound in Hell because they didn't rebel. A similar origin for the Faerie folk is postulated in European Christian folklore.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
Shiftkitty

Location: A little south of Heaven and a little north of Hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Although there is a major strain of Islamic folklore which identifies them as angels who refused to take sides in the Rebellion. They were cast out of Heaven for not serving God, but not bound in Hell because they didn't rebel. A similar origin for the Faerie folk is postulated in European Christian folklore.
I hadn't heard this before. Hmm, makes for an interesting ingredient for my D&D game...
Old 07-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #14
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftkitty View Post
I hadn't heard this before. Hmm, makes for an interesting ingredient for my D&D game...
If it helps, the Queen of Faerie is popularly supposed to owe a tithe to Hell every seven years, usually paid in the form of a kidnapped mortal, for otherwise one of their own would have to go.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftkitty View Post
It's also the Victorian age reason for why they were once mighty greater than man, but by the "modern age" had dwindled to tiny pixies. Without God, Satan, or true eternal souls to maintain them, they naturally fade.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
If it helps, the Queen of Faerie is popularly supposed to owe a tithe to Hell every seven years, usually paid in the form of a kidnapped mortal, for otherwise one of their own would have to go.
Christianity never liked anything fanciful or magical that couldn't be directly tied to their God, or Satan. Kind of a dark syncretism version of Roman's turning every foreign god into another name for their own.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #17
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It's also the Victorian age reason for why they were once mighty greater than man, but by the "modern age" had dwindled to tiny pixies. Without God, Satan, or true eternal souls to maintain them, they naturally fade.
Ah, I'd missed that connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Christianity never liked anything fanciful or magical that couldn't be directly tied to their God, or Satan. Kind of a dark syncretism version of Roman's turning every foreign god into another name for their own.
Well, naturally. Islam's not any different, really, hence the folklore about the Djinn, whose origins, like the Faerie, are divine/spiritual beings reverenced locally before the imposition of monotheism.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #18
Shiftkitty

Location: A little south of Heaven and a little north of Hell.

Interesting stuff! I love folklore like this. I wish I had more time to study it!
Old 02-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #19
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

I found myself checking "Khalid" recently. While it's a fairly common name in Arabic, it's also exceptionally fitting for the Archangel of Faith -- the name means "Eternal" or "Immortal."

It probably also doesn't hurt that Khalid ibn al-Walid was a noted military commander who converted to Islam and was a companion of Muhammad himself. At one battle, Khalid is said to have fought so fiercely that he used and broke nine swords.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #20
Matthias Wasser

Baal, Saminga (or Samigina), Valefor (or Valefar), Beleth, Asmodeus, Furfur, Malphas, Haagenti, Vapula, Andrealphus, and Belial all go back to the Goetic precursor of the Pseudomonarchia Daemonum, although obviously Baal, Asmodeus, and Belial extend further back. I'm not going to bother cross-checking the Goetia and Incyclopedia extensively but there are a few more minor NPCs from the Pseudomonarchia/Lesser Key as well.

Nybbas appears in some sources as a bufoonish demon who sends false dreams, which seems about accurate. Maybe some etymological connection to Nihbhaz of 2 Kings or the Babylonian god Nebu, but that seems to be speculation.
Matthias Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta, theories