Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Talonos

Default One handed weapon in two hands?

There are rules in B270 about using a two-handed weapon in one hand if you have enough ST. Are there similar rules to use a one handed weapon in two hands if you lack the ST to use it normally? A raccoon has a ST of 6. Could an uplifted raccoon use a hatchet (ST 8) two handed?

I'm assuming the answer is in low-tech. It seems like everything is these days. I need to get that book.
Talonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
clawthewolf

Default Re: One handed weapon in two hands?

I always assumed that if you used two hands you added 50% of your strenght regarding strenght requirements
clawthewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
gilbertocarlos

In Low Tech there are the stats for one handed weapons in two hands.

The basic idea is: +1 damage and -2 to Min. ST.
You also get -2 skill if there isn't a handle long enough(like trying to use a shortsword in two hands).
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
In Low Tech there are the stats for one handed weapons in two hands.

The basic idea is: +1 damage and -2 to Min. ST.
You also get -2 skill if there isn't a handle long enough(like trying to use a shortsword in two hands).
Can I ask if that's referenced anywhere, as it it doesn't seem to match the changes in stat lines for those weapons that do appear on two tables in LT, which I think are in general less generous (especially when you take into account the -3 defaults between axe/mace - 2h axe/mace and broadsword - 2H sword)?
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Can I ask if that's referenced anywhere, as it it doesn't seem to match the changes in stat lines for those weapons that do appear on two tables in LT, which I think are in general less generous (especially when you take into account the -3 defaults between axe/mace - 2h axe/mace and broadsword - 2H sword)?
Well there is

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Martial Arts p.111
If using a one-handed weapon, Defensive Grip involves placing a second hand on the weapon. This hand must be empty. The extra hand makes it awkward to use normal onehanded strikes but adds power: -2 to attack rolls, +1 to damage. Treat the weapon as two-handed for all purposes.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Well there is
Aha cheers (was looking in LT didn't think of defensive grip in MA which amounts to the same thing for one handed weapons), it doesn't mention the reduced ST, but I'm fine with that because its roughly similar to the reduced ST rules for using a pistol two handed in TS (*0.8 IIRC which would be -2ST for most weapons).

I also like that it answers the question about why this is some instances preferable to using the equivalent stats for 2H skill as well, by removing the choice.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Orochi-art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Aha cheers (was looking in LT didn't think of defensive grip in MA which amounts to the same thing for one handed weapons), it doesn't mention the reduced ST, but I'm fine with that because its roughly similar to the reduced ST rules for using a pistol two handed in TS (*0.8 IIRC which would be -2ST for most weapons).

I also like that it answers the question about why this is some instances preferable to using the equivalent stats for 2H skill as well, by removing the choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Originally Posted by GURPS Martial Arts p.111
If using a one-handed weapon, Defensive Grip involves placing a second hand on the weapon. This hand must be empty. The extra hand makes it awkward to use normal onehanded strikes but adds power: -2 to attack rolls, +1 to damage. Treat the weapon as two-handed for all purposes.
I was thinking that stronger persons and giants should have a bigger bonus. Nothing drastically.

[1] Using a weapon in two hands instead of one reduces minimum ST requirement. Multiply minimum ST by 0.8 (round up), or min. ST requirement is reduced by 2 (whichever is better)

[2] Using a two handed grip gives you +(ST x 0.1) damage. (For humans it is usually +1 dmg but giant with SM +1, SM+2 can easily get +2, +3 to damage)

[3] Using one-handed weapon it two hands is awkward. -2 to attack rolls
Orochi-art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Figleaf23
Banned

It seems like it's pretty straightforward to retro-engineer it.

Doubling ST lets you use a given lump of two-handed iron one-handedly, so halving ST should let you use a given lump of one-handed iron two handedly.

Unless the quadratic ST thingee changes that somehow.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote