Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2021, 12:24 AM   #21
Magic_Octopus

Default Re: Delvers to Grow: Now LIVE on Kickstarter!

Love the Gaming Ballistic content for GURPS. I think it stands out in a positive way in terms of playability and ease of use.

The approach here seems to be making starting the game faster and easier. What's not to love about that! GURPS is super easy to run, but the character creation can be a slog. All the help there I welcome with open arms.

This makes me want to run a one shot for my group next time we have a gaming weekend.
Magic_Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:11 AM   #22
woefulhc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Are there rules for "multiclassing"- e.g., having a hero who is somewhat Fast and somewhat Smart?
To an extent.
There is a "speedy" (+1 DX and something) for the strong hero, a "Brute-ish" and a "quick" for the fast hero (+2 ST and +1 IQ respectively) for the fast and "deft" and "mathlete" (+1 DX and +2 ST with something else, respectively) for the smart ones.
However that is the extent of if. Each archetype does include upgrade modules that raise the primary attribute.
woefulhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:35 PM   #23
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by woefulhc View Post
To an extent.
There is a "speedy" (+1 DX and something) for the strong hero, a "Brute-ish" and a "quick" for the fast hero (+2 ST and +1 IQ respectively) for the fast and "deft" and "mathlete" (+1 DX and +2 ST with something else, respectively) for the smart ones.
However that is the extent of if. Each archetype does include upgrade modules that raise the primary attribute.
All of this is true. I have not yet tried to stack any of the modules on top of each other. Like I don't think there's anything *preventing* you from starting as (say) a Strong Hero, adding the Basic and Advanced Knight modules...and then adding the Basic and Advanced Wizard modules if you have 75 points to spare. I don't know if it's a *good idea* or if the system squeaks around the edges...maybe someone will find out. :-)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:40 PM   #24
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
I ask because it'd be a shame if any DFRPG-only newcomers out there, who scan the DFRPG forum but don't play GURPS and don't look at its forum, miss the announcement.

(It's a moot point if there aren't actually any such DFRPG newcomers. I hope that's not the case!)
I know for a fact that my players (all new to DFRPG) read the DFRPG forum but steer clear of this one. I’m glad it’s been cross-posted now.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #25
Dalin

I just posted this thread to ENWorld:

Delvers to Grow - fast character building for Dungeon Fantasy RPG

Every response generates more views and bumps it to the top of the channel.

While I'm at it, @woefulhc also posted an announcement/review on rpg.net which is worth a response as well:

How to get a complete, rules legal Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game character in 20 minutes or less
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:08 AM   #26
DouglasCole

I want to come in hard on this, and be unusually forceful on my pitch here, because I firmly believe what I'm about to say:

Delvers to Grow is an absolutely game-changing book for those who like GURPS and the Dungeon Fantasy genre, but find that the 250-point expectation is a higher-power campaign than you like to play, or find that you and your players get frustrated with character creation.

You can do pick-up games at conventions or your FLGS with this book and have each newcomer make a character on the spot. Despite a "Nordlond" flavor to the art and examples, this is 100% exportable to any DFRPG and most DF games with no alteration. This is the recruiting tool you've been waiting for.

Kevin has penned a system that allows chargen in Powered by GURPS to be fast. TFT Fast. OSR fast. 1st level D&D fast. Five to 15 minutes to a playable, robust, interesting character with only a few decisions required.

It's the best on-ramp to GURPS that has ever been written.

Yes, I think it's that good. I hope you do too.

Please support Delvers to Grow. You won't regret it.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:23 PM   #27
DouglasCole

GCA and GCS Support Approved!

Thanks to a quick-turn decision by SJGames, I am able to answer the question "what about digital support for GCA and GCS?" with a Minnesota "Yah, sure...you betcha!"

What's even better about the modular system than if one can existing tools to make fast chargen even faster?

Kevin is actually working up a lot of what he's doing in the GCA5 (now in public beta!) anyway. And after a very brief conversation with the GCS guru, it appears that doing the modular system in GCS should be possible.

I do not know, however, much much work and time this will take...and we will be delivering the PDFs and books on schedule, period. But eventually, all those who get Delvers in PDF will also get the GCA and GCS files needed to make it work even better. Again: this is "permission to do these things," not "these things are already done."

Thanks to vocal backers for giving this a nudge. Your wish has been granted. Mine too, really.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #28
DouglasCole

Delvers is getting frisky with media, and I wanted to give a list of all the places we talk about the offerings here, so that backers can point people to their favorite ones. PLEASE...point people to your favorite ones!

Did I miss any? I'll add them!

Podcasts and Interviews
Forum Threads
Twitter and FB Threads
Old 05-15-2021, 11:16 AM   #29
Anders

One thing I haven't seen talked about much is that this will be useful for anyone who plans a GURPS Campaign, because it's a lesson in how to build modular templates (similar to Action 4 in that respect). I know that even if I don't use it for DFRPG, I will cannibalize it for other fantasy campaigns.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:34 AM   #30
woefulhc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaosusLeghki View Post
Better than that, there are 3 books of pre-made characters, some of which will be at 62 pts (assuming I understand Doug's plan). So you could literally hand someone a book, and say "pick one."
You could do that. My understanding is that the characters in the three books will each be presented at all three point levels. I would suggest rather than "fast leveling" if you want 125 or 187 point characters, just take those levels from the Delvers To Grow book. Alternatively, start with the 62 point characters and award points faster than the suggest rates to "fast level" them.
woefulhc is offline   Reply With Quote