Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #41
Bruno

Default Re: Claw-claw-bite and armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
And it keeps the people going to McDojos from becoming Unfit, though for some of those dojos calling the hitting they do as Karate Art is being generous.
This is actually why I took TKD (well, physiotherapy in general, buying off my major DX and ST penalty on my left side, and reducing Klutz).

I'm under no illusions that I learned anything more than Karate Art, but that was due to me definitely having some form of Pacifism and a major mental block against hitting live targets. My school taught full contact, full force hits for competition fighting, as is usual for TKD comeptitions. Other students at my school were learning Karate Sport, and I'd bet the Cuban team that Aggressive Parried our team into several bone fractures were using full Karate. Our team's coach commented when they came back from the tournament that the Cubans beat the crap out of us with "yellow belt" techniques used very effectively.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #42
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
Wow, I'm 6'(well, Five foot, Eleven and 7/8th inchs...) and 160, and I wouldn't consider Stating myself lower than ST 10 or 11. Of course, I also have a fairly physically demanding career, so that could account for it.
I'm 6' but I do stat myself at ST 8, I might grant that I'm ST 8 HP 10 or 11, but I have never developed any upper body ST
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #43
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
I'm 6' but I do stat myself at ST 8, I might grant that I'm ST 8 HP 10 or 11, but I have never developed any upper body ST
I guess there's something for variation between different people. But then again, I know for a fact that I can lift 150-160lbs over my head in less than 4 seconds, as I've done it repeatedly on a daily basis.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #44
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
I guess there's something for variation between different people. But then again, I know for a fact that I can lift 150-160lbs over my head in less than 4 seconds, as I've done it repeatedly on a daily basis.
Actual performance is a far better benchmark than mass or height. I'm 5'9" and I have to struggle to lift 30 lbs above my head. I think I'd be simpler to stat up with the Weak Arms disad than a straight ST penalty though - I can throw my weight around effectively and I do much better once you put the weight on my back or hips.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #45
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Actual performance is a far better benchmark than mass or height. I'm 5'9" and I have to struggle to lift 30 lbs above my head. I think I'd be simpler to stat up with the Weak Arms disad than a straight ST penalty though - I can throw my weight around effectively and I do much better once you put the weight on my back or hips.
That's the way it is for everyone though. I have trouble lifting anything above my head, but can and have carried 68 pounds on my back for over a mile. (What I won't do for diet pepsis.)
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #46
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That's the way it is for everyone though. I have trouble lifting anything above my head, but can and have carried 68 pounds on my back for over a mile. (What I won't do for diet pepsis.)
The ability to carry 60-70 pounds on your back for over a mile doesn't argue for a ST score of higher than 8. A normal ST 10 guy shouldn't have problems carrying 100-120 lbs. around for such a short distance.

That's not to say that you might not have Lifting ST higher than 8. Just that this particular example doesn't prove anything beyond ST 8+.

According to Kromm, the 8xBL benchmark is supposed to measure how much an adventurer can somehow manhandle into a fireman's carry, as that's the most likely reason a typical GURPS character would have to lift something 'above' his head. It's not meant to measure any kind of legal weightlifting record. For that, you really need training, or you'll be managing far less than your ST would suggest that you should be able to lift over your head.

That means that anyone capable of lifting and carrying a typical adult (ca 150 lbs.) a decent distance is ST 10+. I usually find that benchmark the most reliable and accurate guide for real world ST scores. Of course, since a typical adult in Iceland is 180 lbs, the typical ST for someone who can handle another person on his back is 11+.

Last edited by Icelander; 11-12-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #47
Flyndaran
Untagged

I can carry much more than 60 to 70 pounds for a while, but walking a mile sucks no matter how much or little I carry. Good strength but unfit.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestiary, low-tech