Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 09-24-2004, 10:46 AM   #1
pigasuspig

Default Nihon Steel Samurai playtest

The Steel Samurai, a later Nihon cybertank, is described in GURPS Ogre. There, the following stats are listed:
2 Main Batteries
4 Advanced Secondary Batteries (3/3 D3)
16 AP
60 Treads, move 3

Various online formulas give a point-value range between 120 and 150. I have been testing the unit in a regular Ogre game (basic armor only).

If there are no howitzers defending, this Ogre seems to crush everything (since it has a strike range as good as anything the defender can produce).
With a few howitzers, on the other hand, the Samurai is in trouble.

In my two howitzer games, I played with a mutually supporting triangle of howitzers with HVYs inside deployed in the forward area, and infantry and GEVs in the rear. Against a 150 pt (Mk. V equivalent) force, the Samurai was crushed almost instantly. Against 125, it did fairly well, and probably would have won (i had to stop while it had a couple guns left and was 5 or 6 turns out, facing infantry, a MSL, a HWZ, and a couple GEVs.)

My guess at the moment is that this tank is worth 125 points with a recommendation that the defender take howitzers.

Would anyone else care to playtest this Ogre?

--Donald
pigasuspig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:14 AM   #2
pigasuspig

Default Re: Nihon Steel Samurai playtest

Oops. Another look at GURPS Ogre reveals that this sucker also has two missile racks (8 missiles). This will probably push its value back up to 150, since now it has the option of killing howitzers without great suffering.

I'll also be redoing my online model to show this.

--Donald
Lego Ogre
pigasuspig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 08:55 PM   #3
FJCestero

My own, entirely unbiased, YBOO calculator over at:

http://www.honorablemenschen.com/ogre/ACME_Ogre.html

rates your Steel Samurai at 125 or 152 VPs depending on whether it has that pair of Missile Racks+8 or not, so I think your analysis is both brilliant and insightful.

I think this Steel Samurai design is a bit 'broken' because its sinking a lot of points into APs -- and who really needs 16 (!) of those things? In practice, infantry can't pig-pile (no pun intended) an Ogre enough to make that many APs worth it. I'd also economize the internal missiles to 6 -- everyone prioritizes MRs for destruction, and with only two to go around, the Steel Samurai is very vulnerable to having Rattlers it paid a lot of points for being trapped inside and rendered useless. I'd also consider shaving off a few Treads. It's really a Mark-III-B so you can chop about 12 treads to keep the firepower needed to cripple its movement in balance with how much you'd need to pull all its teeth -- and save those VPs as well.

Last edited by FJCestero; 04-14-2024 at 09:04 PM.
FJCestero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 05:15 PM   #4
selenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJCestero View Post
its sinking a lot of points into APs -- and who really needs 16 (!) of those things?
That would be an Ogre optimized for urban warfare. Infantry in towns can be serious roadblocks for an Ogre. If it's a completely urban area, they're also moving as fast. So they can chew on an Ogre if it doesn't have enough APs to fend them off.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 10:55 PM   #5
CON_Troll

A valid point. Some of the maps available (the neoprene ones) have some BIG cities on them. If an objective for the Ogre (CP, reactor, what-have-you) is buried deep in the town, which is infested by INF, then it can be rough going for an Ogre that doesn't have lots of missiles.

I wonder if the Steel Samurai represents a specific notion that Nihon has concerning urban warfare. Another factor is that the background canon in GURPS OGRE indicates that Nihon citizens actually are fond of their cybertanks and that the self-aware ones (which is most of them by the latter half of the century) have a good rapport with both the public and fellow Nihon soldiers.
Old 04-20-2024, 08:54 PM   #6
J. Durr

An Ogre anime series. If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
J. Durr is offline   Reply With Quote