Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Samort7

Default Question on parrying

B376:

Quote:
Parrying with the Off Hand: You parry with your "off" hand (your left or "shield" hand if right handed; see Handedness, p.17), or with a weapon held in it, at -4 to skill. Since Parry is calculated off half skill, this gives -2 to Parry.
I don't quite understand what this sentence means. Can someone please explain the discrepancy between -4 and -2?

Thanks.
Samort7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Mailanka

Default Re: Question on parrying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samort7 View Post
B376:

I don't quite understand what this sentence means. Can someone please explain the discrepancy between -4 and -2?

Thanks.
Parry is half skill +3, thus you apply half the penalty to the skill.
So if you have skill 18 (parry 12 (9+3), and you wield your weapon in your off-hand, it drops to 14 (18-4), which gives you a parry of 10 (7+3). Thus, the net effect is "-2 to parry."
Old 01-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Your Parry score with a weapon skill is half that skill. Let's say you have Broadsword-16. Your Parry with that weapon is 16/2, or 8. If you wield the sword with your off hand, your skill is 16-4 = 12. Your Parry with a skill of 12 is 6, which is the same as saying 8 - 2.

Parry is half of skill, so to calculate a penalty to Parry, you could just apply half the _skill_ penalty to Parry, rather than recalculating a modified Parry from the modified skill. It's the same either way.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Samort7

Ok I understand now Mailanka - thank you.

If Skill = 18
Parry = 12 [(18/2)+3]
Off hand skill = 14 [18-4]
Off hand parry = 10 [14/2+3]

Parry in off hand is -2 compared to parry in main hand.

Also, Anaraxes - I think you misread the rules. Parry is half skill +3
Samort7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Anaraxes

The +3 is a constant for defenses, and thanks to my past 3e mindset, I still think of it as "simplified standard PD" rather than part of the derived defense score itself. Still works out the same, though*, so think of it any way that works for you.

* "'cause addition is commutative, right". I think I'll stop posting now before 64 gets into it.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samort7 View Post
Also, Anaraxes - I think you misread the rules. Parry is half skill +3
I think he was just trying to simplify the numbers for you. The fact that you just half a bonus or a penalty to skill when you apply it to parry is much more stark when you describe parry as "half skill."

My description is more accurate, but involves more math.

Tags
parrying