Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
vesper

Default Re: Challenges for a swordmaster

Yeah I was thinking maybe a balancing on poles of different heights, while dodging a number sandbags swung at you on ropes, while striking at fruit thrown at you by the master.
Vesper
vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
Anders

This sounds promising... go on.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
vesper

Imagine there are several wooden poles planted in the ground like cut of trees at different heights. Some the character must jump from one to another. While he is jumping, other students/assistance swing a bag filed with sand to hit him when he lands. Soon as he lands the teacher throws an apple he must pierce.

So twelve post meaning 12 jumps, each farther and more difficult, Distance is farther, post is smaller and the last one is greased. So each roll is -1 worse than the last. Now he has to dodge Soon as he lands I don't know if I would make this a -1 each time, maybe a -1 every 2 rimes so the last one would be -6. The he must pierce and apple at each post (-8 for a 3" object) along with a bad footing penalty.

You could increase or decrease number of post depending how hard you want it to be.
So in the above scenario first round character would need to make a jump/acrobatic roll at -1, a strait up dodge, and a strike to hit at -10 (-8 for size, -2 bad footing).
Second post is a jump acrobatics roll with -2, a dodge at -1, and a strike At -10,
Eighth post jump/acrobatics at -8, dodge at -4 and Strike at -10

If you want more challenges, it can be in the dark, or some of the poles are burning, or maybe walk across a horizontal greased pole over a pit of snakes. Finding ways to make it harder is easy.
Vesper
vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:38 AM   #14
dcarson

The classic Zorro bit of cutting the candle without knocking it over.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
xerxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
When you can do this with the 3 bladed sword horsely used in the movie, grasshopper you shall cease to be.
Dude! Talk about bringing back memories. I saw that movie the same day I saw the second Conan movie. Me and some friends snuck into one movie after seeing the other. But, you forgot about the rocket propelled sword blade. Come up with a swormaster test for that!

Ah, Lee Horsely! where are you now?

BTW, what was the name of that movie?
xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #16
Danukian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes View Post
Dude! Talk about bringing back memories. I saw that movie the same day I saw the second Conan movie. Me and some friends snuck into one movie after seeing the other. But, you forgot about the rocket propelled sword blade. Come up with a swormaster test for that!

Ah, Lee Horsely! where are you now?

BTW, what was the name of that movie?
That would be The Sword and The Sorcerer.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fencing