Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: Always On Telepathy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
And you'd get -1 to subsequent attempts to use Telesend on anybody else. On the other hand, it's clearly not the same level as Always On Invisibility or something. Twins would be used to it, so it's probably even not worth much of a distraction penalty. Maybe this is a -5% Nuisance Effect.
IDHTBWM - what's the Voices disad worth at its least debilitating? I would think this effect would be directly comparable.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
And you'd get -1 to subsequent attempts to use Telesend on anybody else. On the other hand, it's clearly not the same level as Always On Invisibility or something. Twins would be used to it, so it's probably even not worth much of a distraction penalty. Maybe this is a -5% Nuisance Effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
IDHTBWM - what's the Voices disad worth at its least debilitating? I would think this effect would be directly comparable.
So you guys don't think that having had the connection their entire life, it wouldn't be distracting? I mean I'm all for saving points, I'm just not sure I think they couldn't get used to it.

Oh and voices doesn't say anything about the voices being distracting, just about how people react at -2 when you respond to things they don't hear.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post
So you guys don't think that having had the connection their entire life, it wouldn't be distracting?
If it isn't distracting at all, just get mindlink and call it a day.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #14
Ragabash Moon

Alright, thanks everyone :)

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #15
jason taylor

Quote:
Can telepathy be considered "always on"? I realize with "Mindlink" you don't need to make a roll, so in that case could you have it as just always on, even when asleep, or would you actually need to take the "Always On" modifier on the Telepathy, at which point would you even still need the mindlink?

Also, if you have telepathy with a single person only, what would that be as a limitation? I figure since Racial is -60%, then would a single person be a full -80%?
You can do a silly version of mindlink. "Stop thinking about Jane!" "I wasn't dear!" "Don't even think about lieing to me!" "But dear"
Old 05-27-2013, 05:09 AM   #16
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
You can do a silly version of mindlink. "Stop thinking about Jane!" "I wasn't dear!" "Don't even think about lieing to me!" "But dear"
Alternately, one can put "Always On" on Telepathy and really ruin someone's love life...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Alternately, one can put "Always On" on Telepathy and really ruin someone's love life...
Another Tom Smith fan. I also suspect we're not alone here, with somebody called PsuedoFenton. Bahhhhh!
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #18
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:

Also, if you have telepathy with a single person only, what would that be as a limitation? I figure since Racial is -60%, then would a single person be a full -80%?
Where does it mention Racial only as -60%? I thought racial was -20% and thought mindlink required was only -40%. Which made no sense at all to me. Being able to contact one person only is a fairly common and ought to be fairly cheap.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #19
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Where does it mention Racial only as -60%? I thought racial was -20% and thought mindlink required was only -40%. Which made no sense at all to me. Being able to contact one person only is a fairly common and ought to be fairly cheap.
Is the limitation of being able to only contact one specific person during your lifetime that common?

I've seen it in one Heinlein story and in one Spider Robinson story. And that's it that I remember. And they were twins in both stories (though in the Heinlein story it passed from the one twin to his descendents).
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #20
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Is the limitation of being able to only contact one specific person during your lifetime that common?

I've seen it in one Heinlein story and in one Spider Robinson story. And that's it that I remember. And they were twins in both stories (though in the Heinlein story it passed from the one twin to his descendents).
Twin telepathy is extremely common in fiction.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
always on, mindlink, telepathy