Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-03-2016, 01:45 AM   #1
Mithlas

Default Psionic Powers - Reorganized for setting

I'm going through the long process of setting up for a new game as I don't have the chance to GM very often. The general location/setting somewhat resembles a more complicated XCom (more politics with more aliens being on Earth). It's based on a book with some definite rules on how psionics works, with some things (like teleportation, time travel/viewing and body-jumping) being outright excluded as impossible in the setting and others (like "adepts" being able to give themselves temporary strength or dexterity) not being in the otherwise comprehensive Psionic Powers book.

I wanted to start with the organization to make sure that the cutting to maintain consistency with the book doesn't create any mechanical imbalance or glaring holes. Antipsi might exist, but I'm unsure if that should be a power available to the PCs or if it should be a threat they need to know how to deal with.

There are 5 categories of Psionics in this setting:
Adepts focus their energy inside their own body, allowing them to perform feats from superhuman leaps, momentary surges of strength, to regrowth of lost fingers. Also called "boosters" as a derogatory slang from those who don't like them, which is most people (the book implies the name came from slang against drug users, which they were thought to be).
- Damage Control
(Psionic Powers did not include any direct correlations for boosted STR, DX, or HT, though I hope to figure out how to simulate some like Night Vision, Combat Reflexes, a passive version of Fit, maybe Infravision, though all of them are mentioned in the book)
Energy project energy into their environment to alter states of matter, freezing water, sparking kindling, and jamming cell phones.
- Cryokinesis
- Dampen
- Drain (Attribute)
- EK Shield
- Lightning
- Pyrokinesis
- Steal Energy (I'm concerned this might allow players too much power)
- Surge
Kinetic projects energy into their environment to cause macro-scale movement, forming barriers against kinetic projectiles, and the classic throwing of debris.
- TK Bullet
- TK Crush
- TK Grab
- PK Shield
- Mental Stab
(I also notice that, while there's a magic spell to control enemies' limbs, there is none for kinetic psions)
Sense detects psionic imprints, interference, or more simply adds perception of the world beyond what sharpness of the mundane senses is given from Adepts.
- Aura Reading
- Awareness
- Clairaudience
- Clairvoyance
- Combat Sense
- Electric Vision
- Emotion Sense
- Mind Shield (includes Profiling)
- Projected Sense
- Psi Sense
- Psidar
- Retrocognition (there's no trace of this in the book, so I'm not sure if I should leave this in for the player option or cut it like teleportation)
- Signature Sniffer
- Telepathy Sense
- Telescan
Telepath presses false impressions or lifts surface thoughts from others, though the language barrier remains, making the aliens all the more inscrutable.
- Aspect
- Borrow Skill (separated into abilities for Logic-based theft like Mathematics, Intuition-based theft like language, and motor skills like Climbing)
- Confuse
- Drain Emotion
- Emotion Control
- Instill Fear
- Mental Blow
- Mental Surgery
- Mind Clouding
- Mind Wipe
- Sensory Control
- Sleep
- Strike Sense
- Suggestion
- Telecontrol
- Telerecieve
- Telespeak
- Telesend

Anti-Psi An often passive disruption of psionic effects. The aliens in the setting, having done direct research on psionics for decades to centuries, can duplicate many of the abilities with technology.
- Cancellation
- Psychic Armor
- Psionic Overload
- Psionic Shield (does not include Profiling)
- Screaming
- Para-Invisibility
- Interruption
- True Sight

Last edited by Mithlas; 10-21-2016 at 02:37 PM. Reason: List cleanup
Mithlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
Mithlas

Default Re: Psionic Powers - Reorganized for setting

I'm still reading Powers, but I want to check and make sure that I understand how to correctly assemble psionic powers to fill in the gaps in the Adept (still not sure how to make a telekinetic "I control my enemy's limb" ability). Alternate names or suggestions for associated ability as well as modifier corrections are welcome.

Eagle Eye - uses Charged Senses (hard, IQ), the intention is to give it (margin of success) minutes of use, though I don't see any differentiation in how rounds of use might be treated with modifiers.
Acute Vision, Night Vision, and Telescopic Vision (adept psi -10%, requires IQ roll to activate -10%, requires FP -10%) [5.6 rounded up to 6/level]

Adept's Strength - uses Adept's Strength (hard, IQ), a temporary boost to strength without adding HP.
Hard to Kill, Strength (minus HP, adept psi -10%, costs FP -10%) [2.1 rounded up to 3/level]. For some reason, the Psi Powers notes the cost as being 7.2 but I can't figure out how.

Adept's Dexterity - uses Adept's Dexterity (hard, IQ), a temporary boost to DX without increasing basic speed.
Silence, Dexterity (minus Basic Speed, -Adept psi -10%, costs FP -10%) [6.6/level for the Arm only version, 13.75/level for the main version rounding up to 14/level]

Swift Parry - requires Adept's Dexterity, a passive boost to the Adept's ability to parry with either weapons or unarmed.
Enhanced Parry (all weapons, adept psi -10%) [9/level]

Recovery - passive improvement to adept's healing, doesn't cost FP or require skill roll. Costs 5, 14, 23 points
1st level - Rapid Healing [5] (adept psi -10%)
2nd - improves to Rapid Healing 2 [15] (adept psi -10%)
3rd level - adds Regeneration (slow) [10] (adept psi -10%)
Old 02-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithlas View Post
Energy
- Psychic Armor (also used by Kinetics for kinetic energy)
What exactly does this do? (in your setting)

If it's DR versus energy based attacks... it's probably perfect.

Quote:
Kinetic
- Mental Stab
Ehhh.... wut? If this is the 'explodey brains' power then a-okay.

Quote:
(I also notice that, while there's a magic spell to control enemies' limbs, there is none for kinetic psions)
That should be dealt with either via a TK Grapple or use some form of renamed mind control that's resistible via ST.

Quote:
Sense
- Mind Shield (why is Mind Shield and Psionic Shield a different ability?)
Eh? Why is Mind Shield not under Telepathy? Also I think Psi Shield blocks all Psi powers, where Mind Shield would block only mental intrusion.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #4
Captain Joy

This campaign sounds great and I would feel privileged to have you as a GM.

Quote:
I'm still reading Powers, but I want to check and make sure that I understand how to correctly assemble psionic powers to fill in the gaps in the Adept (still not sure how to make a telekinetic "I control my enemy's limb" ability). Alternate names or suggestions for associated ability as well as modifier corrections are welcome.
Your Adept abilities sound a lot like martial arts "chi" abilities. You might want to check out GURPS Martial Arts. You might find it a useful starting place, although the work you've done below seems more than a great start.

Quote:
Eagle Eye - uses Charged Senses (hard, IQ), the intention is to give it (margin of success) minutes of use, though I don't see any differentiation in how rounds of use might be treated with modifiers.
Acute Vision, Night Vision, and Telescopic Vision (adept psi -10%, requires IQ roll to activate -10%, requires FP -10%) [5.6 rounded up to 6/level]
2/lvl+1/lvl+5/lvl less 30% = 5.6, round up to 6 (on this we agree).

If I understand you correctly, it only cost 1 FP and then Eagle Eye last a margin of success (MoS) minutes. Since normally you should have to pay 1 FP for every minute of use, this is an enhancement. Extended Duration [B105] charges +20% for 3x duration and 40% for 10x duration. Reduced Fatigue Cost [B108] cost 20%/lvl for each 1 FP reduction. Determining a fair cost for the enhancement will require determining a typical length of time the ability is on, i.e. what average MoS is expected. If Eagle Eye skill levels are 12, that average will be 2 minutes, if it’s 14, it will be 4 minutes, …

You’ll know what the average MoS will be better than I, but as an example let’s assume it will be 3. That amounts to a 3x extend duration, i.e. getting 3 minutes of use out of 1 FP instead of just 1, and would justify a +20% Extender Duration enhancement. Or, you could argue the ability is costing 1 FP instead of 3 FP and justify a +40% Reduced Fatigue Point cost. You could split the difference and call it a 30% Extended Duation/Reduced Fatigue Cost enhancement.

Quote:
Adept's Strength - uses Adept's Strength (hard, IQ), a temporary boost to strength without adding HP.
Hard to Kill, Strength (minus HP, adept psi -10%, costs FP -10%) [2.1 rounded up to 3/level]. For some reason, the Psi Powers notes the cost as being 7.2 but I can't figure out how.
2/lvl+8/lvl less 20% = 8.

You’ll have to direct me to the actual page of Psionic Powers for me to weigh in on where their “7.2” comes from.

Quote:
Adept's Dexterity - uses Adept's Dexterity (hard, IQ), a temporary boost to DX without increasing basic speed.
Silence, Dexterity (minus Basic Speed, -Adept psi -10%, costs FP -10%) [6.6/level for the Arm only version, 13.75/level for the main version rounding up to 14/level]
5/lvl+15/lvl less 20% = 16/lvl for the “main” version
5/lvl+3/lvl less 20% = 6.4/lvl, round up to 7 for one arm
5/lvl+5/lvl less 20% = 8/lvl for two arms

Quote:
Swift Parry - requires Adept's Dexterity, a passive boost to the Adept's ability to parry with either weapons or unarmed.
Enhanced Parry (all weapons, adept psi -10%) [9/level]
10/lvl less 10% = 9/lvl (on this one we agree).

Quote:
Recovery - passive improvement to adept's healing, doesn't cost FP or require skill roll. Costs 5, 14, 23 points
1st level - Rapid Healing [5] (adept psi -10%)
2nd - improves to Rapid Healing 2 [15] (adept psi -10%)
3rd level - adds Regeneration (slow) [10] (adept psi -10%)
5 less 10% = 4.5, round up to 5
15 less 10% = 13.5, round up to 14
25 less 10% = 22.5, round up to 23
(We are in agreement.)

We disagreed on several costs, so much so that I think you or I are missing something fundamental is the way the cost of these abilities are calculated.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 02-09-2016 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Correct my miscalculation of Eagle Eye cost.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #5
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Quote:
2/lvl+1/lvl+5/lvl less 30% = 5.6, round up to 6 (on this we agree).

If I understand you correctly, it only cost 1 FP and then Eagle Eye last a margin of success (MoS) minutes. Since normally you should have to pay 1 FP for every minute of use, this is an enhancement. Extended Duration [B105] charges +20% for 3x duration and 40% for 10x duration. Reduced Fatigue Cost [B108] cost 20%/lvl for each 1 FP reduction. Determining a fair cost for the enhancement will require determining a typical length of time the ability is on, i.e. what average MoS is expected. If Eagle Eye skill levels are 12, that average will be 2 minutes, if it’s 14, it will be 4 minutes, …

You’ll know what the average MoS will be better than I, but as an example let’s assume it will be 3. That amounts to a 3x extend duration, i.e. getting 3 minutes of use out of 1 FP instead of just 1, and would justify a +20% Extender Duration enhancement. Or, you could argue the ability is costing 1 FP instead of 3 FP and justify a +40% Reduced Fatigue Point cost. You could split the difference and call it a 30% Extended Duation/Reduced Fatigue Cost enhancement.
Yes, I'm replying to my own post. I was going to just edit it, but my error was so egregious I thought it merited a proper post.

Upon reading Extended Duration more carefully, I don’t think it applies here.

That would mean +40% for Reduced Fatigue Cost would be the way to go. But that’s not right either. My guess is combining Costs Fatigue limitation and the Reduced Fatigue Cost enhancement is leading to wonky results. E.g. -5% to add a 1 FP cost, then adding +40% to get more out of the one FP results in a net +35%, when it was free to not have an fatigue cost in the first place.

I suggest that the easiest thing to do would be to reprice the Cost Fatigue limitation, since it’s not as limiting as it normal is. At 10% it results in a 2 FP cost (not just 1 FP as I said in my previous post) for every 3 minutes of use on average (assuming MoS by 3 are typical). To make things easier, let’s say typical MoS are 4, so it’s 2 FP for every 4 minutes of use. That amounts to ½ FP for every minute on average. So I would make this a -2.5% limitation. The fact that the ability will need to be re-rolled and can’t be maintained by spending 1 FP (if I’m understanding your ability correctly) is a further limitation–maybe just a special effect, but probably worth at least another -0.5% to bring this up to a nice round -3% limitation.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 02-09-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #6
lvalero

I have in mind an espionage campaign in ww2 (or maybe during cold war) where the all PCs have psi powers.

Your work in this post, dividing the powers in categories like these, was exactly what i was looking for!

Please keep posting more :)

Luis
Old 02-17-2016, 12:53 AM   #7
Mithlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
What exactly does this do? (in your setting)

If it's DR versus energy based attacks... it's probably perfect.

Ehhh.... wut? If this is the 'explodey brains' power then a-okay.

That should be dealt with either via a TK Grapple or use some form of renamed mind control that's resistible via ST.

Eh? Why is Mind Shield not under Telepathy? Also I think Psi Shield blocks all Psi powers, where Mind Shield would block only mental intrusion.
Thanks for the points, I went back and looked at the modifiers which helped break down a little. Since Kinetics already have PK Shield and Energy already has EK Shield, putting Psychic Armor under either category would be repetitious. That it has "malediction proof" could circumvent some counters that should probably be there. I think that means it Psychic Armor should stay under Antipsi.

I may want to modify the Kinetic version of Mental Stab to "Fatigue Only", as TK Bullet or TK Crush already solves the physical side from the inside or outside.

Adding "I grapple my opponent's trigger finger" could fit under TK Grab, that would mean I don't have to reverse/engineer a new TK power.

Mind Shield has Profiling, and seems to touch more on the "incoming" which seems to me to fit Sense better than Telepathy (more focus on the "outgoing"). Thanks for the questions.

Quote:
Your Adept abilities sound a lot like martial arts "chi" abilities. You might want to check out GURPS Martial Arts. You might find it a useful starting place, although the work you've done below seems more than a great start.
One of my players has that, he used it when we played our brief "Avatar the Last Airbender"-esque game. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
You’ll have to direct me to the actual page of Psionic Powers for me to weigh in on where their “7.2” comes from.
Page 57, under the "Additional Psychokinetic Abilities". It does not have the breakdown that other powers have, though that might be since it's more limited.

Quote:
5/lvl+15/lvl less 20% = 16/lvl for the “main” version
5/lvl+3/lvl less 20% = 6.4/lvl, round up to 7 for one arm
5/lvl+5/lvl less 20% = 8/lvl for two arms
Maybe dropping the Silence so we can just look at the Dexterity would help:
Dex [20] -Basic Speed [-5 = 15] (adept -10%, costs fatigue -10%, requires IQ roll -10% = -30%) [10.5/level rounded up to 11/level]
Arm DX (2) [16 for 2 arms] (adept -10%, costs fatigue -10%, requires IQ roll -10% = -30%) [11.2/level rounded up to [12/level]. Those numbers don't look right for a more limited version of DX improvement, so I think I'll stick with basic DX improvement.

Quote:
Upon reading Extended Duration more carefully, I don’t think it applies here.

That would mean +40% for Reduced Fatigue Cost would be the way to go. But that’s not right either. My guess is combining Costs Fatigue limitation and the Reduced Fatigue Cost enhancement is leading to wonky results. E.g. -5% to add a 1 FP cost, then adding +40% to get more out of the one FP results in a net +35%, when it was free to not have an fatigue cost in the first place.

I suggest that the easiest thing to do would be to reprice the Cost Fatigue limitation, since it’s not as limiting as it normal is. At 10% it results in a 2 FP cost (not just 1 FP as I said in my previous post) for every 3 minutes of use on average (assuming MoS by 3 are typical). To make things easier, let’s say typical MoS are 4, so it’s 2 FP for every 4 minutes of use. That amounts to ½ FP for every minute on average. So I would make this a -2.5% limitation. The fact that the ability will need to be re-rolled and can’t be maintained by spending 1 FP (if I’m understanding your ability correctly) is a further limitation–maybe just a special effect, but probably worth at least another -0.5% to bring this up to a nice round -3% limitation.
That's what I'm thinking, which makes something like:
Acute Vision [2/level] + Night Vision [1/level] + Telescopic Vision [5/level] (adept -10%, requires IQ roll -10%. For the FP we could use multiplied modifiers for -10% FP * -40% extended duration for -6%, coming to a total of -26%) After looking through Telerecieve, I think the applicable modifiers are supposed to be applied to each ability as sensible before the costs are added [1.48+.74+3.7 all rounded up to 2+1+4 for 7/level]

To avoid double-posting, I might as well add another adept power with a name I don't like, but can't think of an alternative:
Iron Guts - uses Recovery (hard, IQ) for appropriate portions
1 - Filter Lungs [5] common toxins and agitants, passive (adept -10%). Metabolism Control [5/level] (adept -10%, requires IQ roll -10%) [4/level] totaling [9] for the first level
2 - adds Resistant (ingested poisons, +8 to HT rolls) (adept -10%) [5]. Adding to another level of Metabolism Control for [9] for level 2
3 - adds Resistant (common diseases, +8 to HT rolls) (adept -10%) [5]. Adding to another level of Metabolism Control for [9] for level 3
4 - increases toxin resistance to Resistant (all toxins except asphyxiates and corrosives, +8 to HT rolls) [8] (adept -10%). [8-5 from level 2=+3]. Adding another level of Metabolism Control for [8] for level 4
Continues to build Metabolism Control [4/level] per level after.

I can't decide if it's appropriate to tack on the "requires base Attribute roll" to the resistant, as those are already rolling against Health. Also, would rolling to engage Metabolism Control and then making the Health roll be too much rolling? I like to reduce that when I can, lest things start looking like Shadowrun 4th Edition's hacking.

Adept's Balance - uses Adept's Dexterity (hard, IQ)
1 - Perfect Balance - passive, does not require FP or roll except for "getting tricky". (adept -10%) [13.5 rounded up to 14]
2 - adds Catfall (adept -10%, requires IQ roll -10%) [8]
Old 10-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #8
Mithlas

Wanted another set of eyes to double-check that my modifiers are correct, but this is the last of the Adept abilities that I have under consideration. Any alternate name ideas would also be welcome.

Adept Reaction: Combat Reflexes [15] (adept -10%) [=13.5->14]

Adept's Dexterity: Dexterity [20] (adept-10%, costs 2 fatigue points -10%, requires IQ roll -10%=-30%) [14, less Basic Move 5=9/level]

Adept's Strength: Hard to Kill [2/level] passive, no roll or FP needed (adept -10%) [2/level] with Strength [10/level] (adept -10%, costs 2 FP, requires IQ roll -10%=-30%) [7, less HP 5=2/level] totaling [5/level]

Adept's Swiftness: Basic Speed [5 per 0.25] (adept -10%, requires Will roll -5%, costs 2 FP -10%=-25%) [3.75 rounded up to 4/level]

Eagle Eyes: [7/level]
Acute Vision [2/level], Night Vision [1/level], Telescopic Vision [5/level] (adept -10%, requires IQ roll -10%, requires 2 FP -10%/extended duration *60 +60%=4%, total=-24%)

Hardened Ears: Protected Sense (ears) [5] (adept -10%, requires IQ roll -10%=-20%) [4]
I was thinking of trying to fold the skill to activate this with the resistance roll, but I'm not sure if that's possible or preferable.

Hardened Eyes: Protected Sense (eyes) [5] (adept -10%, requires IQ roll -10%=-20%) [4]

Hardened Osmia: Protected Sense (taste and smell) [5] (adept -10%, requires IQ roll -10%=-20%) [4]

Hypersomia: [2,4,6,14 for levels 1-4, 2/level after]
Levels 1-3 Acute Taste and Smell [2/level] (adept -10%) [2/level], Level 4 replaces acute senses with Discriminatory Smell [15] (adept -10%) [14], Level 5 adds Acute Taste and Smell [2/level] and could keep going but I think I'll cap it at 5 levels.

Infravision: Infravision [10] (internal -10%, requires IQ roll to activate -10%, costs 2 FP -10%/extended duration*60+60% reduces the value of Cost FP to 4%=total -24%) [7.6 rounds up to 8]
Lasts 1 minute per fp charge.

Leap: Super Jump [10/level] (adept -10%) passive, no roll or FP needed [9]

Sharp Ears: [2,4,6,14,20, 2/level after]
Levels 1-3 Acute Hearing [2/level], Level 4 replaces with Discriminatory Hearing [15] (adept -10%) [13.5 rounds up to 14], Level 5 adds Subsonic Hearing [5] (adept -10%, requires IQ roll -10%, requires 2 FP -10%/extended duration*60+60%=-4%, =-24%) [3.8 rounded up to 4] and goes back to adding Acute Hearing [2/level] for a total of [6] on level 5 and [2/level] beyond for GMs wanting to let it go (I'm capping mine at 5).

Swift Parry: Enhanced Parry (all weapons) [10/level] (adept -10%). Passive, no roll or FP needed. [9/level]

Tactile: level 1 only has Sensitive Touch [10] (adept -10%) [9], level 2 adds Vibration Sense [10] (adept -10%, costs 2 FP -10%/extended duration*60+60%=-4% total =-14%) [8.6 rounded up to 9]
This is another one that I'd like to fold its skill roll into the perception check so I don't have a bunch of different rolls, but not sure if that would be good and balanced.

Tags
power, psionic, telepathy