Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
TJA

Default Advantage Limitation: "Only with Magery 3"

Hello,
i am searching an Limitation on Advantages like "Only with Magery 3" - so just requiring other advantages (or skill or whatever) as an Access Limitation.

Access Limitation does not seem to allow this.

I found "Required Disadvantages" on P21, but nothing like "Required Advantage".

Are there are means for such a Limitation or "Restriction"?
Or is that just a topic off writing this requirement down?

Thanx :)
Old 11-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
William

Default Re: Advantage Limitation: "Only with Magery 3"

Prerequisites are not limitations, since you get full value from the prerequisite.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA View Post
I found "Required Disadvantages" on P21, but nothing like "Required Advantage".
Required Disadvantages are limitations because, generally, if you break the disadvantage you lose access to the power (break a pact with a demon, lose demon powers; break a covenant with god, lose divine powers; etc.)

Prerequisites are not limitations, because they don't actually limit the power in any way once you buy it and fulfill the prerequisites. Prerequisites are a campaign tool for GM's to limit what powers will be available to his players, and to give logic and structure to their progression in a given power.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
TJA

OK, thank you.

So, if i want to add required Advantages, i just write them down - finished.
:)
Old 11-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
Bruno

Or to put it another way, if the character hasn't spent the points on Magery 3, why would they ever buy the advantage? It would be wasted points.

If the player wants to "block out" having an advantage for later, there's the rules for Potential Advantages from the basic set on page 33 - but even while "dormant" you get benefits worth a value equivalent to the points you spent on the "potential" cost. Noting it as "potentially turns into XYZ when I buy up my Magery to 3" is certainly a way to do it.

But if it's a 50 point advantage, you spend 25 points on it and need to get 25 points of benefit until it "flowers" into the full 50 points. . . at which point you owe the GM 25 points :)

This is for things that can't be bought "in game" in the GMs campaign, or things the player requires must be available in the future because of character concept. You still get the partial benefit because those conditions may actually never be met before the campaign ends.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
TJA

Thinking about this, i just meant something like from GURPS Voodoo, where Initiation has different Levels and each Level allows for certain Advantages - but the Level of Initiation is a prerequisite for buying those Advantages.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA View Post
Thinking about this, i just meant something like from GURPS Voodoo, where Initiation has different Levels and each Level allows for certain Advantages - but the Level of Initiation is a prerequisite for buying those Advantages.
That's still just a prerequisite structure. I forget what Initiation Level gets you, but it's basically serving as a leveled Unusual Background. It's still not a limitation.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
TJA

Thank you!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
mhd

That sounds like a 0% feature, just like background/fluff requirements (being initiated, traveling to Mt. Laticuv, gaining 8th level in a fantasy game…).
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
SCAR

There is also the 'Divine Favor' angle to consider. (Which doesn't change the above answers, but does add a more concrete reason for the Prerequisite, rather than an arbitrary Requirement.

Basically, the individual Prayers (as learned prayers) are 'advantages' which require a given level of Divine Favor.
This is because a Learned Prayer is actually bought as an Alternate Ability to the Divine Favor - so you need a level of Divine Favor with greater (or equal) point cost than the Learned Prayer, which can then be bought at 1/5 cost as an Alternative ability to the Divine Favour.

The added restriction here is that as an Alternate Ability, you can only use one of the learned prayers or the 'Divine Favor' abilities at a given moment!
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
required advantage, required disadvantage