Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-02-2021, 09:29 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Limits on fatigue recovery

Wake up your ST 6 Goblin every hour and a half and over 24 hours she'll rest up 90+ fatigue and hence recharge 18 Mana.

My current fix is that no figure can recover more than three times their base ST in fatigue in a 24 hour span. Run them more than that and they'll collapse until they can rest up.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:30 PM   #2
TippetsTX

Default Re: Limits on fatigue recovery

Seems reasonable.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:07 PM   #3
Helborn

While not RAW, I would rule that this constitutes lack of sleep and require 1d damage per 24 hours without at least 6 hours (or even 8) of uninterrupted sleep - See Woodsman Talent, pg 41
Old 05-04-2021, 07:14 AM   #4
zot

I made a talent for this a while back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Here's another wizard talent to help wizards with their ST:

Catnap Sleeper (1): You can sleep whenever you want and intersperse normal activity in between; as long as you get enough total sleep hours, you're fine. This allows you to recover an extra 34 - ST in fatigue during sleep if you can intersperse activity among your sleep hours. For example just before the group goes to sleep for 8 hours, a ST 10 wizard can cast all the way down to ST 2, sleep for 2 hours to recover 8 ST, wake up, cast more down to 2, etc. every 2 hours. If casting time is negligible, this allows that wizard to recover an extra 24 ST in addition to the 8 ST which would have been recovered. Wizards pay the stated amount for this talent, the cost is not doubled.

Note: 34 - ST assumes the wizard casts down to ST 2 before the initial sleep period.
Multiphasic sleep is a thing in the real world so paying for a talent should be enough to justify it. Costs 1 talent point for wizards.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #5
Oneiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
While not RAW, I would rule that this constitutes lack of sleep and require 1d damage per 24 hours without at least 6 hours (or even 8) of uninterrupted sleep - See Woodsman Talent, pg 41
1d damage is pretty extreme. The Woodsman talent mentions only 1 hit from a combination of all the bad things that come with being lost in the woods (exposure, lost sleep, bad food, etc.) Additional hits are taken for more extreme environments.

Even so, with a requirement of say 6 hours of sleep, Henry's Goblin would recover 70+ points during the other 18. Then gets his required sleep, and he's ready to do it again the next day.

So I agree with Henry's recovery limit.

Separately, I think TFT could use a little more fleshing out of Fatigue and non-lethal hazards (like lack of sleep.) Lack of sleep should cause fatigue, not a hit. And I'd rule any fatigue taken from a non-lethal source besides spellcasting prevents recovery of any fatigue (or at least require a ST roll with a penalty based on the character's current fatigue) until the source of the fatigue is addressed (like, getting some sleep.)

Edit: There probably should also be additional rules for lethal hazards as well, like environments with extreme cold/heat, radiation, etc.

Last edited by Oneiros; 05-04-2021 at 03:34 PM.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:49 PM   #6
phiwum

Whether lack of sleep causes fatigue or damage doesn't seem to matter too much. In either case, it takes a good night's sleep to get it back, not fifteen minutes or two days.

The reason that lack of sleep causes damage in the rules is that it's mentioned in the context of sleeping hard, with lack of food or bad food being other reasons for the loss (Woodsman talent, ITL 41). Both of those should cause damage and we don't really distinguish between the causes when a woodsman isn't available.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:53 PM   #7
Kieddicus

I just say you can't recover from fatigue while sleep deprived or starving.
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote