Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2023, 12:43 PM   #1
76 Biomecha

Default Some question with Defense Bonus Meta-Trait from《GURPS Supers》

It say:
Defense Bonus 30 points/level
As described for shields (p. B287), this adds to all of your active defense rolls; you have the ability to deflect incoming attacks in some way. Enhanced Block [5/level]; Enhanced Dodge [15/level]; Enhanced Parry (All) [10/level].

And In sidebar“Shields” use this Meta-Trait and Gadget Limitations build a gear shield.It can be use to Block.

So,If I don't add Gadget Limitations,can I use this Meta-Trait to Block?Whether it has qualification of Block?

I am not a native English speaker. Please forgive me if I make any grammatical mistakes.
76 Biomecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 01:31 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Some question with Defense Bonus Meta-Trait from《GURPS Supers》

Yes, you can. It doesn't necessarily provide a physical defense by itself. Rather, it makes your existing physical defenses better. This might be, for example, because you have superhuman speed and can see the attacks coming, or because you telekinetically deflect them, or because you have a focused danger sense that alerts you to attacks ahead of time.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 01:45 PM   #3
Varyon

The answer depends on exactly what you mean. Will the trait alone allow you to Block attacks when you don't have a shield, cloak, or similar item that normally allows a Block roll? No, it will not. But if you do have one of those items Ready for use, you can Block as normal, with a bonus from the trait. With the Gadget version, the Gadget is probably assumed to be a shield, so you can use it to Block with.

If you want a trait that does allow you to Block, even without a shield available, Kromm previously suggested an option - Extra Arm (Force Extension +50%, Shield Mount -80%) [7] technically gives you an indestructible third arm that can only be used to hold a shield, but he further suggests that, with said arm being indestructible, allowing it to count as the shield to Block with should be fine. You can describe its appearance however you'd like - he suggested a glowing magical shield that hovers near the character.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:58 PM   #4
Anthony

I would note that I have yet to see a good reason to ever take the defense bonus meta-trait. If you want universal defense, just buy up your basic speed.
Old 12-04-2023, 03:02 PM   #5
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I would note that I have yet to see a good reason to ever take the defense bonus meta-trait. If you want universal defense, just buy up your basic speed.
Buying up Basic Speed increases dodge, but it does nothing for block or parry. And buying Enhanced Dodge by itself costs 15 points/+1, where buying up Basic Speed costs 20 points/+1. So there's a modest saving for what you get.

Old 12-04-2023, 03:27 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Buying up Basic Speed increases dodge, but it does nothing for block or parry.
The thing is:

Block doesn't do anything that dodge doesn't do better.
Parry is most efficiently raised by raising weapon skill. Unless you don't plan on using melee weapons, in which case it's generally best to ignore it in favor of more dodge.
Old 12-04-2023, 03:40 PM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
The thing is:

Block doesn't do anything that dodge doesn't do better.
Parry is most efficiently raised by raising weapon skill. Unless you don't plan on using melee weapons, in which case it's generally best to ignore it in favor of more dodge.
That doesn't say that you're buying up universal defense. You're not; you're buying up Dodge. What it does say is that you're choosing not to buy up universal defense, which is a different proposition.

Enhanced Dodge seems to have a perfectly fair price; +1 Basic Speed costs 20 points, -1 Basic Move costs -5 points, and that's essentially what you get from Enhanced Dodge. Unless you fly, of course; then +1 Basic Speed also gets you +2 Air Move for free.

Old 12-04-2023, 04:41 PM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That doesn't say that you're buying up universal defense. You're not; you're buying up Dodge.
Dodge is universal defense. Block and parry are just lesser versions of dodge.
Old 12-04-2023, 05:10 PM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
Dodge is universal defense. Block and parry are just lesser versions of dodge.
Dodge leaves those behind you open to getting hit, Block and Parry don't (similarly, an attack with Multiple Passes, such that it can turn around and attack you again, gets an attack for each pass if Dodged, while it stops outright upon being Blocked or Parried). A Sacrificial Dodge involves getting yourself hit instead of any ally, Sacrificial Block and Sacrificial Parry instead outright negate the attack. There are optional rules to allow you to use Block (at least with a sufficiently-large shield) to avoid taking damage from Area of Effect, Cone, and Explosive attacks that have too large of an area for you to be able to Dodge. There are options (Aggressive Parry) and traits innate to the item in question (Destructive Parry) that allow you to damage a foe and/or their weapon with a Block or Parry, nothing like that exists for Dodge. Parry can prevent a garrote attack from behind, Dodge cannot.

All that said, I do think [30] for Enhanced Defense is too high... but then I also generally feel [15] for Enhanced Dodge is similarly too high. Even accepting [15] as a fair price for Enhanced Dodge, I'd be inclined to argue for something like [20] for Enhanced Defense, maybe [25].
Old 12-04-2023, 05:47 PM   #10
Anthony

The thing about parry is... there's pretty much no situation where +1 parry [6] is a better investment than +2 weapon skill [8] that gives you +1 parry as a side effect. Enhanced Parry should be something like [3] for one weapon, and [5] for all weapons.

The thing about block is... it's only real virtue is that there are a small number of attacks that can be blocked but not parried. Unfortunately, most high tech ranged attacks can't be blocked, and against low tech ranged attacks you're often better off just tanking them. Really, the game would work better if all three defenses were just specializations of a Defense ability, because all that generally matters is the highest of your available active defenses.