Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2021, 11:32 AM   #31
Anthony

Default Re: Which traits are Forbidden in your games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
To me, Weirdness Magnet can be one of the most fun Disadvantages in GURPS.
Its problem isn't that people having weirdness magnet isn't appropriate. It's that it's not worth [-15], and probably isn't a disadvantage at all, it's just a plot hook.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:44 AM   #32
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Its problem isn't that people having weirdness magnet isn't appropriate. It's that it's not worth [-15], and probably isn't a disadvantage at all, it's just a plot hook.
The problem of course is that what is generally missing are all the people who know how much trouble you are attracting and treat you accordingly.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #33
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Heck, it might even be an Advantage (or possibly a Perk).
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:16 PM   #34
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
The problem of course is that what is generally missing are all the people who know how much trouble you are attracting and treat you accordingly.
The described effects of weirdness magnet are generally milder than "is a normal PC", since being a PC tends to result in attracting lethal problems.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:31 PM   #35
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
On the IOU campus everybody treats everybody else as if they had Weirdness Magnet (and yes that includes the -2 to reactions).
Old 12-09-2021, 02:16 PM   #36
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
To me, that depends on how it is run. In the Supers campaign I co-ran, the PC who had it had major problems due to it that amounted to something like "super magnet". His true identity was secret, and it seemed every time he wanted to "take a break" from his mundane job to respond to a call for his super team, his boss took a break at the same time. The PC finally discovered his boss was on the same super team. He ended up leaving his job. He got another mundane job, which he also left. And the next one.

His girlfriend ended up being a super villain he was supposed to capture. His super career was threatened, and he ended up spending a lot of time trying to get her rehabilitated. When there was an attack by space aliens, they hit his neighborhood. After he married his girlfriend and had kids, the villains just happened to go to his kids' school, and kidnap his kid's teacher. Another of his kids ended up being a highly powerful being that cared nothing about humanity. Etc. etc.

Like the other PCs, he tracked down criminals and fought super villains, etc. But hey, for a superteam member, those are routine. That PC probably faced more problems due to Weirdness Magnet than he did for being a superhero!
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #37
patchwork

Many good suggestions already. Mine is Unfazeable. Either I'm running a "horror" game, in which the PCs have significant psychological difficulties dealing with out-of-context problems (in which the Unfazeable player is essentially refusing to participate in the game but still at the table for some reason), or I'm not, in which case the trait will not come up. There is no campaign, or probably even one-shot, where I want some of the party to be making Fright Checks and other members of the party not. One might generalize that into "no traits that are likely to require me to split the party and functionally run multiple parallel campaigns".
patchwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:22 PM   #38
whswhs

The arguments against some party members making fright checks and others not apply with equal force, I think, to some party members having Combat Paralysis and others not.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 01:30 AM   #39
Opellulo

Quote:
I'm my experience Weirdness Magnet is just a convoluted way to order a DM "Now entertain me! You Must! It's in the book! Me! Me! Me!"
Old 12-10-2021, 10:02 AM   #40
TGLS

Weirdness Magnet Remix
Meta, -15 Points

Your adventuring is interrupted by an alarming frequency of inconveniences. These inconveniences are generally consistent with the setting of the game, though the GM may push things sometimes to keep you on your toes. Depending on the setting, you might be the only valid organ/blood donor in an emergency situation, your in-laws might come to visit right before you leave for the lost plateau, the government might audit your taxes, an old friend might blow your cover, you might personally be responsible for the villain's descent into darkness, you may be called in for jury duty, or your nephew might be interning for the evil overlord. These situations cannot be turned to your advantage without significant work on your part. The GM may forbid this as too disruptive.

--

I think this creates a reasonable level of "this sucks" without putting too much strain on the GM.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, disadvantages