Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 12-07-2023, 02:49 PM   #1
Anaraxes

Default GCA 5: Adding Levelled Traits with Different Modifiers

What is the proper/intended/preferred way to create a levelled trait, and have different modifiers to that apply to various ranges? To use a not-quite-Magneto for the sake of example, assume I want TK with some increasingly restrictive limitations:

TK 10 (works on everything; base cost)
TK 11-20 (Magnetic -50%) has to be ferrous metal; half cost
TK 21-30 (Magnetic -50%, Super-Effort +300%) ferrous metal + FP; 2.5x cost

(Super-Effort here is the one from Supers, not Powers, with TK following those rules for increasing ST over 20. So GCA would have to include that Super-Abilities table to work out the logarithmic ST values, while the first two ranges use the normal linear progression.)

So, is that TK 30 as one entry, clicked up to 30, with some way to apply modifiers to different parts of that total? It sort of works points-wise if I put TK 10 in three separate times with different mods for each. And even adds up the complete total (which may or may not be a bug, depending on your point of view, for other examples) if I look at the stat line.

What I'd ideally like as output is three stat lines for one ability, showing the max of each of the three ranges (10, 20, 30), each with their own derived values (BL, sw, thr, etc) precalculated. Showing just the maximum when meeting all conditions would obscure the breakpoints that would be an important reference for a player at game time. Building the ranges as three distinct abilities wouldn't give the proper maximum value.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 08:50 AM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: GCA 5: Adding Levelled Traits with Different Modifiers

Probably not possible without a major coding session with ifs and thens and so on.

You'd be much better off just building the levels of Telekinesis you need for that one character, each with their own modifiers, then collecting them underneath a parent object. You'd have to manually adjust the costs of the higher-level Telekinesis traits to start at the higher levels.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 09:46 AM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
What I'd ideally like as output is three stat lines for one ability, showing the max of each of the three ranges (10, 20, 30), each with their own derived values (BL, sw, thr, etc) precalculated. Showing just the maximum when meeting all conditions would obscure the breakpoints that would be an important reference for a player at game time. Building the ranges as three distinct abilities wouldn't give the proper maximum value.
What you want is basically three different traits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Probably not possible without a major coding session with ifs and thens and so on.

You'd be much better off just building the levels of Telekinesis you need for that one character, each with their own modifiers, then collecting them underneath a parent object. You'd have to manually adjust the costs of the higher-level Telekinesis traits to start at the higher levels.
Yes. This.

I don't know Supers (or Powers) well at all. I don't really know off-hand how TK stuff works, but I seem to recall that there are attributes for Lift and such. So, to do what you want, this may be one of those cases where you actually have to have three separate abilities that you toggle Active/Inactive in order to see the correct values for the various traits when trying to use them.

Or maybe you could set it up as Modes, and take the results of each calculation and enter it into the info for each mode in some fashion. That would give your separate reference lines, and then the 'active' value of any attribute wouldn't matter much at all.

(Basically, this seems like a complex and unpleasant task to shoehorn into GCA. I see no fun feeling of accomplishment at the end for me, here. I do not think I will be tackling something like this, for this niche of a situation, without it coming with a paycheck.)
Old 12-08-2023, 02:31 PM   #4
Angel Darkover

It seems to me that it isn't as complicated as it appears. You have your basic TK stat which remains the same. You have three different, separate leveled advantages that each cap at 10. Both higher advantages have their modifiers built in but also have a needs() for the previous advantage at level 10, so you can't progress to B without completing A and you can't progress to C without completing B. This will give you your independent advantage lines but you also have the raw TK stat to tell you what is possible as the total.

This seems quite doable unless I am missing something (which is always possible).
Old 12-09-2023, 03:18 PM   #5
Anaraxes

Thanks for the tips! Now I've got a couple more angles to experiment with.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote