Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-07-2023, 07:16 PM   #151
Anthony

Default Re: Iconic Contemporary Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
On the original topic, a general class of Bad Guy guns is Cheap Guns. Action movie heroes always carry Good-Quality or better gear.
I think 'ugly' is a more useful rule than 'cheap'; MIBs and the like tend to be armed with quite expensive guns, but they still tend to be ugly and intimidating.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:26 PM   #152
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I think 'ugly' is a more useful rule than 'cheap'; MIBs and the like tend to be armed with quite expensive guns, but they still tend to be ugly and intimidating.
Assault rifles tend to be ugly anyway whomever uses it. As do guns fitted with a picatiny
Old 12-08-2023, 12:16 AM   #153
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Assault rifles tend to be ugly anyway whomever uses it. As do guns fitted with a picatiny
And 'nondescript weapon with lots of matte plastic' can say 'faceless mook' or 'honest working man who knows value and takes what he is given.' 'Shiny, distinctive weapon' can say 'hero' or 'decadent villain showing off her ill-gotten wealth.' 'Long gun in a wooden stock' can say 'poor' or 'rural' or 'old-fashioned', directors and armourers can use the same weapon to say different things about this nonbinary gun-person.

Lots of firearms users on all sides of any given conflict lean in to the 'all black and shapeless with a balaclava or a combat helmet' look. Its a long time since the typical gunman with a ski mask on TV was a bank robber or hostage taker.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 12-08-2023 at 12:20 AM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 01:44 AM   #154
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
While that is one side of the paradigm, there's also the old expression:
Amatures study tactics, professionals study logistics.
Which gets repeated so often that people forget that its an admonition not to ignore logistics (which a lot of historical armies halfway tried to, and armchair generals very often do), not a declaration that everything else is unimportant. Logistics is one of the things that can kill you fast if you screw it up, but it's not the only thing that can easily kill you if you screw it up.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 02:55 AM   #155
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Which gets repeated so often that people forget that its an admonition not to ignore logistics (which a lot of historical armies halfway tried to, and armchair generals very often do), not a declaration that everything else is unimportant. Logistics is one of the things that can kill you fast if you screw it up, but it's not the only thing that can easily kill you if you screw it up.
The thing is, the professionals in question already studied tactics, both small unit and large scale, when they were more junior commanders, and as senior officers and generals they now have subordinates to deal with the tactical side of things.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 03:05 AM   #156
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
The thing is, the professionals in question already studied tactics, both small unit and large scale, when they were more junior commanders, and as senior officers and generals they now have subordinates to deal with the tactical side of things.
I agree, but a lot of people who spout that line don't think about that, so it gets annoying (and while their subordinates, who are themselves professionals do need to deal with tactics, the generals still need to know that stuff, which is why they had to study it in the first place).

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 12-08-2023, 04:53 AM   #157
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Yes. I know & understand that. My reason for bringing it up in this thread was partly a reminder that, while on an operational level tactics can be an important factor, all too often a battle/war is won or lost before it happens.

The other reason was in reference to the topic of this thread. Logistics is usually the deciding factor (IRL) of who's equipped with what & how much of it. What makes certain equipment iconic is a recognizable group using distinct & recognizable weapons for a "long time". So depending on the logistics your group will have a certain distinctive/iconic look.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 04:06 PM   #158
Pursuivant

It's been indirectly referenced in other posts, but a good gun for the Big Bad is anything that's heavily Decorated. Nothing says decadent rich like taking an etched, gilded, ivory-handled, limited series collectable gun into combat. Add tasteless and clueless if the gun in question isn't that great to begin with.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 04:37 PM   #159
jason taylor

Quote:
It's been indirectly referenced in other posts, but a good gun for the Big Bad is anything that's heavily Decorated. Nothing says decadent rich like taking an etched, gilded, ivory-handled, limited series collectable gun into combat. Add tasteless and clueless if the gun in question isn't that great to begin with.
Actually something like that might be even better as a Macguffin. There could be a crime show with a murder involving an antique theft.

Speaking of that there was a Castle about a murder committed with an antique pair of dueling pistols. Two Steampunk nerds got the idea that it would somehow impress a girl to fight a duel over her (they weren't that bad of people, just clueless), and they fixed the fight to be at a range where it was impossible to hit. Unbeknownst a third party took advantage of the chance to hide and ambush one of the parties he had a grudge against with a third pistol.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:43 AM   #160
Prince Charon

Quote:
Possibly have the Heavy brag (with a crazy look in his eyes) about how the ivory scales were from an elephant he personally hunted and killed, and maybe the gilding comes from a tribal treasure he looted on the same trip, if you want to go over-the-top on what an @$$hole this guy is.

-- Tacitus